"Have Your Say" section

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

After much debate the SL team have decided to close the "Have Your Say" section on the site.Whilst it did attract lots of comments and questions, unfortunately there was very little structure to it and consequently it was hard to get answers or conclude discussions. We have copied over the full contents of "HYS" to this thread, so none of that info will be lost.Going forward, we encourage site visitors to register as users (it doesn't take long) and get posting in the main discussion forums. You should get more of a response for one thing, and there are other benefits, like reply notifications, the new search facility, and of course photo uploads.We hope this won't put anybody off 'having their say' about Leeds: instead we hope it will improve the main forums and increase the number of site users ... and the more the merrier we say!All the best,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

fran - 20/08/2007 22:56:00Wiggy - There are some pictures of the old woodpecker on leodis leeds. Also on the national tramway museum site there are some brilliant pictures of old leeds - including old woodpecker - if anyone is interested.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

dave wiggy - 19/08/2007 17:19:00i have been trying to get onto the lost pubs forum for months,but when i register , i am given a password that never bloody works

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

skippy - 18/08/2007 13:54:00i remember beckett street school i lived in the flstts on roxby close and watched them pull it down

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Dave Paltreyman - 15/08/2007 09:15:00Denis...The cinema was called The Malvern .There's now a pub there called also the Malvern.I was also at Cross Flatts school but much later(1965-1971)I was the last of the pupils to sit the 11+ there.Any old boys or girls from that time? BE great to here from you.IN school I was called''Polly''

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Arry Awk - 13/08/2007 15:21:00Hi Bill of Rosebank View! I've just come across this section hence delay in answering! If you sign up on the Secret Leeds forum and become a member, You'll find loads of 'Then and Now' pictures of Rosebank View that I have posted under The 'Rosebanks' Headings. I lived in Rosebank View from 1937 to 1947 when I joined the RAF. I am 77 now. We lived at No.4, top end near the Hollow. My old schoolmate,Willie (Bill) Wainwright now deceased, lived at No.54,I think, before moving to a flat above Hemingway's off licence at the Woodsley Rd end of Westfield Rd after his father died. We went to Burley Road junior school until 1941 when we 'graduated' to Brudenell Sec.school. If you haven't been already,do try and visit the Rosebank Millennium Garden. They've done it up as a small park, all grass and trees etc, but if you aren't too good at walking, approach the area from Bellevue Road! If you come from the bottom end, on Westfield Rd. it's a very steep climb! They have still kept the old stone steps and the 'hollow' at the top end and up to Rosebank Road. I approached Bryan Mosley a few years ago to see if he would perform the opening ceremony,as he was then the 'Mayor of Wetherfield'and he was all for it,but he sadly died before we could suggest it! Some names I remember from the View; Lenny Hopton, Leslie Bedford, Rene Maud, Peter Donnelly,May Dolan (now Jeffrey), Brian Reucroft, Alan Dyson, Audrey Harrison,Kathleen and Jean Wilson, Audrey,Doreen, and Shiela Barker. Notice how I remember mostly Lasses!!! A womaniser,even then! Can you confirm that the opening 'lead in' to Coronation Street on telly a long time ago, was a picture of the 'Hollow' Steps leading up to Rosebank road? This fact was debated a few times in the YEP and Bryan Mosley agreed with me, being an ex Rosebanks-ite! OK Bill, Do sign up on Secret Leeds Forum. You really will enjoy yourself with all the postings on different subjects! Cheers Arry Awk.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

dennis - 13/08/2007 14:49:00Does anyone remember the pre-war Saturday picture shows when empty jam-jars could be used as currency? There was a picture house at the top of Beeston road - opposite the church- don't recall its name but we called it the "Flea Pit". I wonder why? Any Cross Flatts school ex- pupils from the 1930s and early 40s still out there? Some teachers were "Basher Bates, "Daddy Martin" "Joey Hustler" I left about 1942 . Ended up doing my military service in Malaya.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Dave Paltreyman - 10/08/2007 15:30:00They used to be a railway line running through the middle of Middleton woods.(Not the tram line) If anyone can tell me more about it I would appreciate it very much david.palfreyman@telenet.be Cheers

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

dennis - 06/08/2007 15:55:00re. the German Zep. I was born in Leeds in 1928 and remember coming home from school in Cross flatts park , looking up and seeing this huge silver air-ship passing very low overhead. The swastikas were clearly visible on the tail fins. I've since thought that I must have dreamed it. Well, now I know I wasn't. Thanks fom Wiltshire !

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Munki - 28/07/2007 10:56:00Dear Readers, There are some really interesting comments & questions being posted on here, but YOU ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO GET A RESPONSE IF YOU REGISTER AS A USER and post the question as a new thread. Registering is a very quick process, & you can set up so that you get an email every time someone responds to your questions & your stories. Best wishes, The Secret Leeds Team.