"Have Your Say" section

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

mavissimpson - 26/07/2007 16:44:00When I was a girl I remember passing an old church school on Raglan Road in Woodhouse (above the Swan with Two Necks pub). I think it belonged to St.Marks Church. Are there any pictures of it anywhere.. (I know it is over seventy years ago but I can still picture it) I have been following most of the forums since about January but no-one mentioned that one and I felt the schools thread seemed to have petered out. Perhaps some of your younger net users can find out! Don Smith - 22/07/2007 01:07:00Yes I can remember the German Zeplin Hindenberg, I was in 1936 or 37, I was living off Burley Road at the time,I was around 5 years old at that time and was at St Philips School on Burley Road, it went right over the school yard. Kes - 21/07/2007 16:35:00Apologies for the email of the Independent book review that I circulated. I wrongly assumed that all the emails had been made public after receiving one a few weeks ago from the administrator which contained all emails. I'm sorry for the lack of judgement and respect for privacy, but I was just sharing something which I thought might be of interest to those on this site. It was stupid and naive of me. If anyone reads this message could they paste it into the General Chat thread on the subject? Once again, I'm very sorry for this and will not repeat the mistake Bill - 15/07/2007 15:58:00I was born at 62, Rosebank View, Leeds,3. I went to Burley Road school. My neighbours were, Jacky Woodhead, Brian Moseley, Gilly & Terry Garbutt When I was an infant, the 2nd World War started and I can remember, fire engines, ambulances, shrapnel, gas maskes and 'air raid wardens'. If you were around at this time, please get in touch. Carol - 12/07/2007 14:18:00I work in an office block in Leeds City Centre and I've noticed that high up on the outside of the building which is now Pret a Manger, it used to be a sports shop until a while ago, there is carved out of the brick work the name "Longley". I've often wonder what this name refers to - can anyone help? - 11/07/2007 21:12:00Tarot queen Thanks for the reply I am really pleased because this is the the 1st reply re my family. I have still not worked out how the Ward family exactly fits in. I know that Maria Crossley Moss was married to John Ward. Rumour has it among my, now, family that later she may have married a George Ward as they remember visiting the family at the haulage business premises in Hunslet Maria & John had a daughter Eva & son Charles ( could this be your granfather ),in the register of electors 1937 living in Brandling Street Hunslet .My family name is Crossley they lived during the 50's 60's in Playfair Grove Hunslet Carr.It would be great be if you could give me any info. Vonny,aged 48 MOR6Y - 09/07/2007 08:31:00Hey Jan I bought the fish Hut in 2001, Currently renting it to a construction co, however when they have finished with it thinking it should be put back to its former glory, Unfortunalely the characters that made the place could never be replaced. My Grandfarther used to have a co over the road called the Juan flooring Co and he used to take all his guys in on a friday afternoon when they had finished work going back to the fifties Paul. alice hicky - 06/07/2007 21:16:00very good comments
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

- 06/07/2007 15:54:00http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 0_16502016 Is this the Woodpecker original pub, photo is dated 1935 Howard Wynne - 06/07/2007 02:30:00Trying to contact Howard Wynne, travelled Australia, SE Asia,USA '95-'96 thanks dale6799@yahoo.comwiggy - 29/06/2007 16:48:00i can't believe we have no pics of the woodpecker!the original one was on the other side of the road,but was destroyed by bombing in the war i believe?? steve - 28/06/2007 21:13:00i work for lcc and as a consequence work under millenium square quite a bit quite large but no evidence of secret tunnels to civic town hall or the queens can any body enlighten me more accuratley ? farbank - 26/06/2007 15:21:00First time here, so 'hello' everyone.! Now , just how does one go about adding comment/info. to a'thread'.? JanCee - 19/06/2007 17:58:00Dunno about anyone else but I'd find it really helpful if active threads were listed with the most recent at the top. Thanks for the site! Inquirer - 18/06/2007 08:13:00Simon Leeds Council does own this house. It's taking its time to decide its future Roy White - 15/06/2007 21:41:00Can anyone remember the flight of the German Zepplin 'Hindenberg' over the City of Leeds, during the 1930's? I can remember running from the tea table, out into the street to witness the passage of this monster, drawn by the sound of it's oddly throbbing engines, which boomed down and round our crowded streets. Large black swastika's in white circles on red tail-fins are etched into my memory. Some believe that photographs then taken of Leeds from this Airship, gave the latest information of possible future wartime targets within Leeds. It is thought that this data was used to great advantage by the Luftwaffe during WW2. On a later voyage the Hindenberg's crashed on fire when docking at New Jersey in America, with regrettable loss of life. Mavis Simpson - 15/06/2007 17:03:00Leeds lost cinemas- Woodhouse had two. The Electra and The Astra in Woodhouse Street (always known as the Woodhus). This became a nightclub in the 1960's parksider - 14/06/2007 18:45:00about peter otoole..yes he lived with his parents in a back to back off dewsbury rd..his dad was a bookie..I knw his mum she was a regular in the Morrhouse pub facing onto Hunslet Moor..Peter went to Rada in london i believe and when he made it in films he wanted his mum to go down south ..to a posh house,but at that time,she preferred to stay with her friends in leeds.. keith waterhouse and willis hall were born in leeds...both authors and playwrights i think Secret Leeds Teams - 14/06/2007 07:57:00Interesting questions on the last three posts... But you are much more likely to get answers if you register on the site & post them as New Threads! Our Dear Readers possibly don't check this 'Have Your Say' page all that often... Last weeks dinner - 13/06/2007 17:36:00I work at the Metrepole Hotel on King Street and it was used as a Hospital during WWII can this be confirmed, and the fact that we have a room called the "mourge" in the basement area, but not still in use, although some of the guests we get 'should' be put in there & out of their misery...! We are not allowed to tell the guests about it as it is 'bad for business'! I think it would be great for the dearly departed business!! eddy edwards - 12/06/2007 20:40:0012/06/07Plans showing the entrance to the proposed Leeds subway (located in Drtmund Square) are deposited in the Leeds archives at the bottom of Roundhay road. Also are plans showig the steel strcuturesfor strengthening the basements of all theatres in central Leeds for air raid shelters for the stars and public.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

kingsofmain - 12/06/2007 11:01:00being a newcomer to leeds and working in the city centre, I have become fascinated by a wall that noone seems to know anything about. It is located in Alexander Street, off Calverley Street, near the headrow and forms the entrance to a car park. I know that it is listed but the schedule refers to it as a wall and entrance. No further information as to its age or histroy. Does anyone know any more about it? Johnny39 - 11/06/2007 20:52:00I have a feeling the camp you are talking about was Nesfield School Camp which I also attended for one week in the early 50's. You are perfectly correct about it being run like an army camp but after the initial feeling of abject home sickness it was one of the best weeks I have ever spent in my life! If my memory serves me correctly, one day during the week parents could visit for the day. Not sure about Cowboy Canyon. We did go to Bolton Abbey and a place called the Valley of Desolation, a strangely quiet place where no birds sang. We also climbed Beamsley Beacon for which we received a certificate. At the end of the week we put on a little show, followed by a dance with the girls from another Leeds school that we had been banned from fraternising with all week. Great days!!! eddy edwards - 11/06/2007 20:32:00Having visted you site for the first time I am greatly impressed by its size. didnt know Leeds had such a history.I was born in 1931 at 7 eunace place and later moved (in 1933) to middleton I remember the old tivoli cinema being built. I spent all my school at Middleton primary schools,babes,juniors and seniors.Happy days my teachers were miss roberts,Mr Green ,prince,and others I cannot remember now. Keep the memories going I'try and add aa few more south of the river - 30/05/2007 11:14:00Hi brian Yes i went to that camp in the 50s..Bit like an army camp really..very austere..remember the rough blankets and waking up shivering,running down the hill to have a cold wash..i was very homesick,and the teachers were hardly sympathetic...not sure if it was some sort of outward bound,but from a working class family,i suppose it was a holiday.. we went to cowboy canyon..and bolton abbey and on the last night friday we had a barn dance of sorts i was so happy to get back on the bus heading for home i tell you Secret Leeds Team - 29/05/2007 10:07:00Hi Brian! You are much more likely to get a response to a query like that if you actually register as a user & post it up as a new Discussion Thread... BRIAN WILSON - 28/05/2007 17:33:00Has anyone any memories regarding the Leeds childrens holiday camp which was sited on the hill above Addingham in lower Wharfedale.? I was there in the late 1930s and a relative in 1950 but I am having no luck with my enquires sofar. Any help would be appreciated. Tarot Queen - 27/05/2007 01:26:00hi, I have just registered, so am new to all of this. I have just noticed a message from vonny 25/4/2007 asking about George Ward haulage contractors hunslet. I can tell you a bit about them. He was based in Jack Lane next to Rylstone Terrace. He started the firm with his 2 brothers Charles and I think Benjamin. Charles was my grandfather on my mothers side, and he had a falling out with George, left and went to work for himself and had a coal round of his own with horse and cart. He lived at 1 Rylstone Terrace which was right next to George Wards. He lived there from about 1908 until the houses were pulled down in the 1960's. I'm afraid that I can't tell you anything about George Ward as I didn't really know that side of the family. Hope that this helps a little bit though vonny. Left Leeds over 40 years ago, and if it wasn't for some of the old land marks still standing, wouldn't know the old place. There are some photos on leodis of George Wards. Frustrated! - 26/05/2007 20:41:00Yes, still having the problems on my home computer. Anything I need to set, or change the settings of?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

audrey ogden - 24/05/2007 20:48:00coming across the picture and comments of the Star & Garter at Kirkstall,brought back memories when I used o go there in the early fifty's, I was in my teens and I used to be fasinated by one of the waiters ( yes they had waiters then) he used to keep sixpences in his ears, presumably for change and he also kept his lit! cigarette behind his ear as well while he was serving you Troll - 24/05/2007 18:12:00Hi, just to say friday 25 May is the last day to vote for a place on the new Monopoly board. So go to www.monopoly.co.uk and vote for Leeds, to make sure the city is on there. You wouldn't like Manchester or worst still Bradford to beat us hey? Frustrated! - 24/05/2007 15:30:00It's fine on the computer I use at work, it just seems to happen on my computer at home. It's been like that at home for a while, will check again later. Secret Leeds Team - 24/05/2007 12:39:00Are you still having these problems, 'frustrated'? I can see everything at the moment... I don't know if it was a temporary blip... Frustrated! - 24/05/2007 00:11:00Any ideas why I am unable to viw the content of the threads? I can see the list of them, but when I click to go into the thread content, nothing is shown. Are there any particular settings my computer needs to have?Thanks. IMOR - 23/05/2007 13:15:00Just passing through but will be back. Has anyone memories of the school at Colton near Temple Newsham, from around the early to mid fifties? Also of a plumbing and electrical contractor who was based in Pack Horse Yard about the same time. katie bailey - 22/05/2007 23:15:0021st May 2007 As an old pupil of Mt St Mary's Rc School, I was told when I was achild that there were tunnels from the church vestry and the priests house into the convent, to allow the nuns to set up the altar for mass and benedictions in the bad weather. To this day there are large cellars under the old school attached to the convent and chapel at Mt st Marys in the cellars are really old doors that have not been opened for donkeys years. Mick Ward - 15/05/2007 19:18:00do you know that there is a memorial to Captain Oates in Leeds ? this is in Meanwood at the entrance (bottom end) to Meanwood Church Simon2710 - 10/05/2007 19:18:00Hi freeborn john you must live in the same area as me because i've heard of both of these before. freeborn john - 08/05/2007 20:45:00The gallows at Chapel Allerton Primary school were used for the hanging og three of the the Farnley Wood plotters in 166 as they wanted to over throw Charles II four year after the crown was restored. This was then known as Chapeltown Moor.. They were hung in chains for a while and then had their heads chopped off. The heads were then put on iron spikes at Moot Hall End...where ever that is. (R.Faulkner). I did read that the last person to be hanged on the pine tree on King Lane/ Harrogate Road junction was a highway man. I think that was in the 18 or 19 century. freeborn john - 08/05/2007 19:44:00There was an old air raid shelter just above the playground In Chapel Allerton Recreation Ground. Alot of people stuggled to get to it during the blackout (running into lamp posts and knocking themselves out) so designated basements on each street in the Pastures were strengthened and used as air raids shelters. (As told by an elderly neighbour). The shelter was then used as a base to identify enemy air craft (Can't account for the provenance of that information but I think it is local handed down info from Northbrook Street). Apparently it still has old iron bedsteads inside. grandma - 06/05/2007 14:57:00The dog mentioned on Geldard Road was situated in the yard of the former St Bernards woollen Mill. This was at one time owned by the Womersley family who also owned a mill at Pudsey, one of the family was Mayor of Pudsey in the 1920s. Signs amd Symbols Love that dog vonny - 25/04/2007 20:58:00Does anyone have any info of Barkers Yard,corner of East Stret and Crown Point Road leeds. vonny - 25/04/2007 20:56:00hunslet Carr Lets not let this area disappear forever. I am interested in family history with surnames Crossley,Hough Walton,Moss and Ward all around Hunslet Carr . The Wards possibly George Ward,Haulage Contractor Hunslet. Secret Leeds Team - 21/04/2007 12:11:00Empty churches would make a great series of features, if we can get permission to get into them. Need to know who the owners are, first... Basher - 20/04/2007 19:50:00Regarding the Highly Irregular Features section of this website. May I suggest St Mark's Church at Woodhouse. It's been closed for a number of years and has some interesting history behind it. Secret Leeds - 19/04/2007 10:56:00Hi Amos. If you have questions or comments relating to messages posted in the discussion forums, you will get more of a response if you register as a user and post your messages in the relevant forum. Cheers, SecretLeeds. Amosbrearly - 18/04/2007 23:02:00Many thanks to Weerdboil for his aerial view of Leeds station. Also to Tomd and Philld, earlier this month, for their fascinating insight and reminiscing of the Leeds to Wetherby and Harrogate lines. I have a question relating to this: I am a train guard living in Scholes for the past 8 years and I am increasingly fascinated by the prospect of the line being re-opened. I keep hearing rumours of the possibility but none so more believable when I recently heard that because the Bramhope (or sometimes known as Arthington, I think) tunnel is so expensive to maintain, the powers-that -be (Network Rail, I suppose) are seriously thinking of re-opening those lines to compromise the termination of this long tunnel. (I would agree that this would be sad in memory of the people who died building it but also because of its beauty, particularly the Castle-like North end, which I see brilliantly from the back-cab!!) Can anyone confirm this? Please sympathise with my ignorance by the way. I may be a train guard but it is train spotters and railway history experts that know the answers. My expertise is in customer service on the lines that exist today! However I would love to be able to help passengers while trundling past Scholes, Bardsey, Thorner, Collingham and Wetherby! Amosbrearly LeeRatbag - 17/04/2007 02:27:00I hope they don't disturb any gases from the old mineworks - I remember maybe twenty years ago, I was walking through our living room in Belle Isle when there was a sudden blinding flash and a cloud of smoke (but, oddly, no sound at all). We later heard that there had been a seepage of methane gas from the old Broom Pit mine workings. Now I live half a mile up the road from that new estate, and I don't really fancy getting exploded again... south of the river - 09/04/2007 20:20:00Hi Davey the new developement at middleton..is called The middleton urban village..its well under way...four large house builders are involved i think...its actually at the back of the st georges centre...the other side of sharpe lane from the one the site is allegedly...their were some objections to the planning true,but its land that has lain idle for many years now...not really green belt a bit of an eyesore really..there are old mine workings under there somewhere.....they were filled in many years ago.....i amagine there are gases down there......lets hope they are not disturbed....i work near there and its looking like it going to be a fine developement cheers ArthurMiddleton - 06/04/2007 18:38:00The Information Centre (Lakeside Centre) in Middleton Park will be open by the Friends Of Middleton Park every summer Sunday 2-4pm from May 6th for FREE refreshments. There is a small display of Old Middleton and results of an ongoing archaeological survey of old mining remains in the park Secret Leeds Team - 06/04/2007 17:30:00The designers are aware of this problem, Troll. It should be sorted next week. troll - 06/04/2007 11:31:00Hi, is there a reason why I have seem to have lost the icons on the forums pages? I now do not know if there has been any new messages when I log on. Not done anything to change my setup, so is it something you have done? Simon -H- - 03/04/2007 10:59:00ANother suggestion of mine, and i've emailed it, is to start an actual group so people can meet up. A good place would be for people to meet in a big library (moor allerton?) or even the town hall. Meeting up would mean that people could discuss face to face about strange things they've seen or generally anything about Leeds. Dave - 02/04/2007 13:55:00Adel Bunker. about 5 years ago i went into the bunker in Adel just before it had the steel door fitted, it was quite a squeeze. the layout was as others have described with 2 accessible floors split into corridors with steel tubes fitted to support shelves. there was also a lift to the lower levels, unfortunatley filled with rubble. At the bottom of the staircase to the second floor was more rubble covering the stairs that appeared to go down to a third floor. the main rooms were approx 100ft by 70ft split into about 7 or 8 corridors. the explanation that it was document storage seems to be correct because the shelves were quite shallow and could not have been bunks. there was evidence of some kind of air trunking fitted to the roof and also electrical conduit. I have video recordings that i made of the inside of this bunker on 2 different occasions as soon as i have converted it to computer format i will post it on the web. Damon - 29/03/2007 17:15:00A secrete Leeds Convention anyone? floodland - 29/03/2007 11:32:00how about a comprehensive database of structures and features discussed here that forum members could help compile? this could then be presented as a website in itself, or published as a book - i'd be interested in being involved in this. keyholekate - 28/03/2007 22:46:00I hope that you sell christmas cards with a Leeds scene on.I had a right job finding one last christmas. . went to Gateway. . they sold out the few they had . . WH Smith didnt stock any. . Art gallery. . .Town Hall. . no one had any.Maybe I left it too late and will look earlier this year.Leeds ones are nice to send abroad to friends and relatives. floodland - 28/03/2007 12:29:00i am really pleased that a site like this has been created at last, and am looking forward to exchanging information and meeting others who are interested in Secret Leeds. Secret Leeds Team - 28/03/2007 09:18:00Thanks Simon H. I'd wear a Secret Leeds t-shirt! The response has been so overwhelming (has it only been a month and seven days?) that we will have to take stock at some point soon and think about where to go from here... Any suggestions, anyone? Simon H - 27/03/2007 16:26:00I think a good idea for this site is to start selling merchandise when it has a bigger community. I think any merchandise that you sell WILL sell! Theres a website about the area i live in and they started selling their own merchandise and had success. I think postcards would be a good starting point! Regards, Simon gerrry wilkes - 26/03/2007 17:15:00the building at the corner of king lane & nursery lane was a wood built cabin like structure that was used as a classroom for allwoodley c.p. school i was a pupil 1955 or 1956 also was a brick built shithouse for boys and girls and of course a tarmac playground built 1950's demolished late 1960's i have a 1960's a to z clearly showing same.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

keyholekate - 26/03/2007 10:38:00Thank you Beeston Mick. . my mother was an orphan in Mount St Mary's from 1939 until 54. . wonder if anyone else has memories of the place? south of the river - 24/03/2007 18:20:00Someone asked about the green man pub in hunslet..i remember one of that name..it was situated opp the old cockburn high school on dewsbury road..it had some land at the back..maybe it was the one that the person who enquired means..not sure but maybe cheers John Bowman - 24/03/2007 16:51:00Re the bunker at Adel The newspaper article is quite correct My wife and I owned Bridge Cottage and the Adel quarry area for some years. The deeds of the quarry area stated that the Leeds Permanent Building Society had the archive bunker built in 1937 About 1988 there was trouble with youths illegally entering the bunker and having raves inside it. Before the small opening was concreted up, my two sons and I went down and explored the inside ( I hasten to add that one of us stayed outside in turn just in case of problems). We found three floors on which archives had been stored karaoke steve - 24/03/2007 15:09:00myself and some friends are going to do a ghost watch at the hark to rover public house in the next 2 weeks south of the river - 24/03/2007 12:45:00Very well done to the secret leeds team.. I was born in Hunslet..and well remember Mother benson who had a cottage at the back of the Parkside rugby ground..she was quite a character.. Also the middleton colliery and the blue bell pit.. its worth anyones while going up to middleton park when the information centre is open..there is lots of details on old middleton.. cheers bye for now John Dales - 23/03/2007 17:43:00Greetings All. Our Beloved Leeds have many more secrets than our very Important Bunkers ! Like Leedsia the Capitol of Kingdom of Elmet was the last Bastion to Stand Up to the Anglo Saxon Invaders !!! etc. J D & Peter L Prof. of Moscow L. Univ. of History beeston mick - 22/03/2007 21:58:00TO KEYHOLE KATE. RE MOUNT SAINT MARYS Go to www.fickr.com type in the search box, leeds church decay you'll find some recent pics, a very sad looking building at the moment, unfortunately! skoobie - 22/03/2007 21:55:00does anyone have any information what the old Austicks shop was prior to it been a book shop. Someone told me this used to be the blind school , is this correct? If anyone has any info please let me know what it was & the name of it. Thanks carlosp - 22/03/2007 20:25:00Is there any truth that the underground tunnel's could have been used to transpot money around the city? a friend of mine has worked in several banks around park lane etc fitting pipes and said that under tham is vast with a lot of areas blocked off. Could this have also been incorperated into the underground reality. Secret Leeds - 22/03/2007 13:21:00Hi Keith, Thanks for that info - would be great if you could sign up as a user and post it in our main discussion forums. Sounds like you probably have a lot more to contribute too! Cheers, SL Team Keith Johnson - 22/03/2007 11:12:00re the question about the waxworks in Leeds it was sited in Central Rd of Duncan st in part of the basement of Burton's tailors shop opposite the side of the central public house. The waxworks consisted of wax heads around the walls of the room, the main attraction to the youths of the 40's was the 1p and 1/2penny slot machines in the room. In the 50's it became the Central school of dancing with a sat night dance this continued for a number of years until it is now know as the Hi Fi club a Jazz club Secret Leeds Team - 22/03/2007 09:35:00Hello Keyhole Kate! Thanks for the kind comments. You are much more likely to get photos & memories if you register as a user & start a new Thread... maybe under 'General Chat' Call it 'Mount St Mary's' - we will see how many responses you get & maybe start a new 'Schools' forum if people like it. I'm sure they will! keyholekate - 21/03/2007 23:52:00I love this new website! I am looking for photos of Mount St Marys school and the old Bank area. Also old photos of Crossgates please. ANGRIA - 21/03/2007 14:20:00The bunker in adel woods. my brothers and i use to play there all the time.there is one near the edge of a farmers feild which we could get inside through a small round opening. you followed it to your left then right. there were concrete bunkers built into the walls on two levels with small round wholes in the floor at the far end as though they were quick ways to go down a level rather than using the stairs. once we found an old military dress coat but as kids you don't realise what it could be worth. it was really amazing being inside. Secret Leeds Team - 21/03/2007 10:20:00Hello Hannah. We don't have an email mailing list but keep checking www.celebrateleeds07.com for updates and forthcoming events. Hannah - 21/03/2007 09:15:00Would be good to receive a monthly email with info on what celebration events are taking place that month. Would have liked to have gone to the talk on the history of Leeds tonight but only found out about it at the weekend. Caroline - 20/03/2007 13:19:00how many muders did Charles peace submit Brenda Carter - 15/03/2007 11:56:00I would like to know what happened to the underground toilets in the railway station. The doors are still ther (the ladies being near Wetherspoons and the gents on the opposite side). As a little girl I use to go there as my nana worked in the ladies. We use to have a bath. It was very lush and ladies could have a wash and brush up or a bath. russ crosswell - 15/03/2007 07:54:00In reply to Harriet wanting information about the building by Leeds bridge. Ken Goor is a Leeds City Guide and is a mine of info about Leeds and its people. He leads regular guided walks on many subjects and they are a great way to learn about the place. He can be contacted via Gateway Yorkshire on 0113 2425242. Secret Leeds - 13/03/2007 16:58:00Hi Letty, Threads are listed within each forum in date order (thread with the most recent posting is at the top of the page - check the 'Last Post' column on the right to see who posted and when). Is this what you mean? Within each thread, the messages run from oldest to newest, but we think that makes them easier/more logical to read. Any thoughts people? Happy posting, Secret Leeds Secret Leeds - 13/03/2007 11:31:00Really glad you like the website. Yes the overwhelming response is making it hard to keep track of what has been posted! If you go to Discussion Forums, at the bottom of the page there is an 'Active Threads' view which allows you to see all active threads for the last 48 hours, with the most recently updated at the bottom of the list. Marie Phillips (nee Schofield) - 12/03/2007 19:49:00I haven't lived in Leeds for many years, having moved around the country a bit. I still have relatives in Leeds though and visit as often as possible. When I visit the city centre I'm always surprised at the amount of building that is going on. How it has changed since the1940s and 50s. I was comfortable with the mucky old place then, but like most of the new stuff, especially when they've kept the old facades. But I have to admit I lose my sense of direction when trying to find my way around - me who could have gone round blindfold in the old days! Still that's progress. Like the Secret Leeds site - just had a good look round and look forward to visits in the future. Letty - 12/03/2007 18:52:00Hey Munki How are you this week? Had a thought, how are the threads listed? May be a stupid question, but some threads are really old and not much is going on with them but some of the new ones are hard to keep track of, can they be listed in date order or newest postings first? Or is it too dificult to keep juggling them... thanks Roger dodger - 12/03/2007 16:06:00Can I just say big 'well done' to the Secret Leeds team. I find the comments by Stuart below very negative at this early stage of the site. Keep up the good work! Simon Harris - 11/03/2007 18:02:00A great idea. I was about to start something like this a while back but you've beaten me to it! Great website so far, good luck for the future and keep up the hard work! Harriet Carson - 11/03/2007 15:02:00Im a third year student at Leeds Metropolitan University. Im currently doing a project on the building adjacent to Leeds Bridge, on Bridge End. The building is currently a restaurant, Exibit, with bridge lofts situated above it. Im struggling to find history on the building and the direct area. Can anyone help me? thank you Marcus - 09/03/2007 21:32:00Needs a gallery section with some great pictures of Old Leeds, not sure about the downloads. Forums not screening better as there is general chit chat going on I just want information on the subject. Some posts are plain stupid and are designed for the sole purpose of promote a pointless debate. ie Caves in Rounday Park. Munki - 07/03/2007 17:20:00I'm not starting any more threads - that was just to get the ball rolling when the website was still a baby... Not the strapping two-week old it now is. The concrete cows sounds great. Please start a thread with that as the title & see if anyone else can remember them... - 07/03/2007 17:04:00Hey Munki Question for you. Do you think of a thread throw it out just to see what you get back? What about the aerodrome now the airpot at Yeadon, draining the tarn and placing concrete cows on it. all in WWII of course. seeya Letty Paul (Kirkstall) - 07/03/2007 13:46:00Does anyone know why the house just set back of Kirkstall road opposite Sacred Heart schools football pitch has been left derilict?? I remember an old lady living in it when I was small around 1985. Is there any history surrounding it because we always grew up with it being known as the haunted house. Please let me know Secret Leeds Team - 07/03/2007 07:49:00Hello Jeannie! You're more likely to get answer if you register as a user & start a new thread under 'Unusual Builldings & Structures'. If you call it Waxworks you will get everyone interested... Never know what you might find! jeannie - 06/03/2007 20:28:00does anyone else remember when leeds had its own waxworks? some elderly relations of mine were telling me about it , apparently it was behind Rawcliffes on Duncan street. jamie - 04/03/2007 23:27:00Re Aiden's question on 24/02 the round chimney like object near the M62 is a ventilation shaft for the railway tunnel that carries the railway line from Morley Station through to Batley, thats still in use. This goes under the M62 between Junctions 28 and 27 when travelling West it is about a mile before Junction 27. Much nearer to Junction 27 there are some earthworks alongside the estbound carriageway which are the spoilheaps from another railway tunnel that goes from near Rooms Lane off Gelderd Raod to near the bottom of Showcase cinema car park. This tunnel was closed in the late 1960's but has not been filled in though it is very wet and most of it is under several feet of water. Secret Leeds Team - 04/03/2007 13:27:00Any photos, Val? val - 03/03/2007 18:19:00I'm an LGI staff member we have tunnels that link clarendon wing, brotherton wing,jubilee wing and possibly other areas of the LGI we use them for delivering items and also to keep warm and dry whilst travelling around all the different departments Secret Leeds Team - 03/03/2007 17:11:00Troll - yes, the people at Leodis have said that it's OK for us to post pictures from their website, as they are not as high definition as the ones that they sell. Please credit Leodis when you chose to use them though, if only to advertise a fantastic website to people who may not have strayed across it so far. It's www.leodis.net, by the way. Secret Leeds Team - 03/03/2007 17:08:00Stuart - sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the website. It is, however, designed as a forum for the people of Leeds themselves to tell stories & give information about their city. It is not a fixed text produced by a panel of experts. We are very pleased by the level of interest & input so far to a website which is less than two weeks old, & hope that the amount of information keeps growing & growing as time goes by. Stuart Binns - 03/03/2007 14:13:00I would like to see more content. I heard about this website on BBC Radio Leeds (92.4 FM, 774 AM and DAB Digital Radio) and I have visited it today to be disappointed by the lack of any information. At the moment it just seems to be full of advertisements - there is no real content of interest to be honest. Troll - 03/03/2007 09:11:00Hi, are we allowed to post photos from leodis.net and other websites, or is there some restrictions due to copyright? Peter Styles - 02/03/2007 16:53:00According to my Dictionary CURBSTONES are the North American name for what we know as KERBSTONES Secret Leeds Team - 02/03/2007 08:55:00Simon - have you looked at www.leodis.net? This is a massive online archive of photos of Leeds (currently 47,861 photos available, according to the homepage!). That's - www.leodis.net Enjoy! Peter Styles - 01/03/2007 20:29:00Further to Dave Johnson's comments on 22/02/07 there is a photo of a tram accident at the bottom of Richardshaw Lane on page 295 of the Leeds Transport Historical Society's history of Leeds Transport. The tram involved was No 281 and the accident happened on 18 September 1916. A similar accident had happened in 1912. In answer to another question, Yes trams did run through from Leeds to Bradford for about 12 years from 1907 despite the fact that the two systems operated on different gauges. Leeds had a gauge of 4ft81/2 inches and Bradford operated on 4ft. There was a section of tapered track at Stanningley Bottom to facilitate the change of gauge. This information also comes from the above mentioned History. Simon Bryan - 01/03/2007 17:47:00I would like to see photos of places in Leeds and it's surrounding areas, going as far back as possible. Ozz - 01/03/2007 17:19:00It could have been in the central library, It was not in the old Leeds Museum as I would have remembered that fine building. grumpy - 27/02/2007 14:50:00re question about scrap yard with old car over the entrance it was on the corner of marsh lane ond new york street just as you went unde the railway bridge Munki - 26/02/2007 19:10:00Is that the Leeds Museum that was in the Central Library? Ozz - 26/02/2007 17:03:00I seem to remember visiting the Leeds Museum in the late 50's, and being told that an air shaft ran from the museum to Temple Newsem Pit. aiden - 24/02/2007 21:28:00I have passed a round building on the m62 west just before ikea its on the left hand side it looks very old an something like a round fat chimney Chris Hough - 24/02/2007 20:44:00When I was working as a student nurse in the nineteen seventies at the LGI the Town Hall Clock was silent from 11 PM until 7 A M to help the patients sleep pefkos1 - 23/02/2007 21:26:00anybody know anything about a secret bunker underneath eccup reservoir? sheila - 23/02/2007 17:34:00Does anybody have any pictures of the old madison nightclub on east parade both of the inside and outside if you have please please post them on this site. it was the best club in the 80's with sunset vine wine bar in the basement what memories! Secret Leeds team - 22/02/2007 15:36:00Hi Dave - you might want to register as a user on the discussion forums. This space is mainly for initial ideas and questions - you seem to have a lot of info that we would love to see in the main discussion threads!

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Dave Johnson - 22/02/2007 15:15:00Picking up on some of the tramway comments. Lowfields Road yard was originally a Permanent Way yard set up by Leeds City Transport Department. It was reached by a single-track siding from Elland Road. This siding ran the full length of Lowfields Road, right down to its junction with Gelderd road & 'football special' trams parked here when matches were played at Leeds United. You could get over 80 trams on this siding! The p.w. yard began to scrap trams from about September 1945 onwards, until it finally closed in 1957. The yard then became the headquarters of a road transport company (General Haulage Ltd), but the tram-track and points in the yard were left intact & just covered with dirt. I removed the points in the mid-80's and they went to the Tramway Museum at Crich & some of them may now be back in use. The last remaining section of rail from the Lowfields Road siding was removed about 5 years ago, I think. Re trams running in Richardshaw Lane, they ran up there until the mid-1930's. Coming back down the hill, they had to turn sharp right (not left) into Stanningley Bottoms. There were a number of runaways and I have a picture of a derailed tram on the pavement in front of the shops! This would have been about 1913. Re the siding which ran from the back of Swinegate Depot under the Dark Arches. This was actually laid with old horse-tram rail (lighter than normal tram-rail) and branched into two sidings within the tunnel. It may still be there for all I know. It was used to store redundant cars before they made their last journey to Lowfields Road scrapyard. As a lad, I remember seeing some of the ex-London cars parked under there. A number of them (about 8 I think) never actually made it into service in Leeds and were scrapped in 1956, still wearing their London Transport liveries and fleet numbers. Lovely big cars they were and I loved riding on them. The last trams under the Arches were some acquired for preservation after closure of the tramways in 1959. We had to shift them fairly quickly, because work was already starting on the construction of City House and the four 'legs' of that building pass right through the Dark Arches. The tunnel was damp.dark & dismal, but I certainly don't remember any rats or mice - there would have been nothing for 'em to eat! Secret Leeds team - 22/02/2007 14:47:00We're looking into some options about site searches just now Harriet - will let you know more soon. Dave Johnson - 22/02/2007 14:07:00In response to the many questions about alleged secret tunnels under Leeds city centre: * There is no tunnel from the old Gaumont Cinema (later Town & Country Club) leading to Leeds City Station. The cost of creating such a tunnel through the millstone grit would have been prohibitive. * There is no tunnel under the Civic Hall. I worked in that building for nearly 18 years & knew it well, including the basement boiler room. * There is no tunnel under City Square, but there used to be underground toilets and also a wartime air-raid shelter. Can't remember if they were filled in or just covered over when City Square was remodelled in 1960. * Don't know what happened to the picture of the proposed tram subway under City Square. It used too hang on the wall of the City Engineer's office when I was a lad, so it may now be in the City Archives. If you look in "Leeds Transport, Vol. 3" by Jim Soper (you can borrow it from your local library) this picture appears on p. 822. Elite Hacksaw - 22/02/2007 13:12:00Great Site - I like the photo's in some of the threads. Might be fun to upload some pictures but not say where they are; like those on these threads; http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/messag ... hreadID=52 Viewers could then hazard a guess where it's sited. Harriet Walsh - 22/02/2007 11:27:00Can we have a search please! Munki - 22/02/2007 07:27:00Hello Leedslad! Don't you think 'official responses' might spoil the fun a bit..? Let's hear from people who have SEEN these places... Peter - 21/02/2007 21:33:00Would like to see some tie-up with the leodis site, to enable members to discuss various pictures fro our city's past. Leedslad - 21/02/2007 19:14:00I'd like to see some official response to clear up some of the rumours on here - can anyone from the coucil confirm/deny underground tunnels around the city centre or the old Underground plans of the 30's? Munki - 21/02/2007 19:11:00Hey Bob Coldness... This Secret Leeds Group of a couple of years ago must have been so secret that I haven't heard of them... Any information??? Munki - 21/02/2007 17:08:0050 registered users at the end of the first day! Why is that we are all so interested in this stuff..? bob coldness - 21/02/2007 16:24:00is this the same secret leeds group from a couple of years ago or a council spin off? phill_d - 21/02/2007 14:12:00Will there be a transport section? i.e hidden places connected to the old railways around Leeds, stations, tunnels e.t.c? Secret Leeds - 20/02/2007 17:47:00Welcome to the Secret Leeds blog space. This is the place to post initial thoughts and ideas about the Secret Leeds website. You don't need to register to use this space, just enter your name and message in the box above, and it will appear online (once it has been approved.) If you would like to start a full discussion, please register as a user and visit the Discussion Forums. Happy chatting! the Secret Leeds team