George Arthur Linstrum

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jonnybud

Post by Jonnybud »

Has anyone got any information on George Linstrum?Was from Leeds and was in the Guinness book of records for the most court appearances, mostly for being drunk and disorderly.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

This newspaper clipping from 1974 mentions him:http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... ,5478328as he was 78 then I assume he is now drinking in the great beyond!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

He died in 1977 according to this brief mention in the YEP aged 82,born Tong Road :http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-2172932

Jonnybud

Post by Jonnybud »

Thanks for the articles, not seen the YEP one before. I don't suppose you have any idea where I could find out whereabouts on Tong Rd he was born?    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Jonnybud wrote: Thanks for the articles, not seen the YEP one before. I don't suppose you have any idea where I could find out whereabouts on Tong Rd he was born?     well the 1901 census shows him living at 6 Wilton Terrace in Armley.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

And the 1911 census shows him at 11 Strawberry Mount, Armley. Aged 15 he was a Tea Boy Errand BoyFamilyMary Eliza Linstrum 36 George A Linstrum 15 Edith D Linstrum 14 Hetty E Linstrum 11 Roy L Linstrum 9 Lilly E Linstrum 4 Thomas Linstrum 3 Albert Linstrum 2 Hope this helps
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Jonnybud

Post by Jonnybud »

Yeah that is really helpful and interesting. I'm guessing the 1921 census wont be available till 2021?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Correct 2021, however the 1911 did come out slightly earlier than 2011
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Jonnybud

Post by Jonnybud »

Is it possible to access old court records?

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jonnybud,George Arthur Linstrum was usually arrested for being 'Drunk and Incapable' and not 'Drunk and Disorderly'. He was a small, quiet man and was usually arrested for his own safety.I always found him to be totally inoffensive. I believe that he survived on an army pension and his old age pension. Throughout the 1960's and 1970's, I am fairly sure that George lived at Shaftsbury House (a large Common Lodging House) in Beeston Road, Holbeck , Leeds 11. I am unaware if he had a medical condition but after leaving court at Leeds Town Hall, he only needed a couple of pints of beer and he was D & I again. His Leeds City Police blue 'Record of Previous Convictions' was like a concertina and was kept in a special place in the records office at Leeds Bridewell instead of in the filing system with all of the other records.There must have been very many new constables at Millgarth Police Station, who arrested George for D & I, as their very first arrest.A quick search on Ancestry reveals that he was born on 25/6/1895 and christened on 24/5/1896 at Armley St Bartholomews Church. He died in early 1977. There is no record of any marriage. He served in the army in the West Yorkshire Regiment (service numbers - 2824 and also 265661). He was in France in April 1915.http://yorkshirepost.newsprints.co.uk/v ... 788_jpgIan