Paul's Pond.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Post by tilly »

Jogon wrote: The bad ba*tards! Could I venture to suggest that be tried on them At one time we could have done but now we have to answer to the EEC.If we did this to fish we would end up in Armley I bet they were told of with a warning I had better shut up or I might say things that get me into trouble who said we had freedom of speech in this country
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

liits

Post by liits »

I seem to recall that both received a hefty fine - also that the RSPCA had dipped their oar in the water [no pun intended] but as they both had British Waterways fishing permits, for some reason, the RSPCA input was ruled inadmissible.

tilly

Post by tilly »

liits wrote: I seem to recall that both received a hefty fine - also that the RSPCA had dipped their oar in the water [no pun intended] but as they both had British Waterways fishing permits, for some reason, the RSPCA input was ruled inadmissible. I know there is a big problem on some of the fishing spots i go to.The taking out of carp to eat can cost the owner a lot of money put it this way a large carp can cost over a hundred pounds to replace, the carp could be thirty or more years old along comes a yob who knows what he is doing is illegal and takes fish that could have lived in that pond all of there life.I saw on the tv one pond owner posted notices to the effect that no eastern europeans were allowed to fish in his ponds he was told to take them down.I have fished for over fifty years and have never known this problem with carp salmon and trout have had problems over the years but never carp.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

The other week I went on a canal boat trip along the Aire and Calder navigation from Thwaites mill. The chap who was running the boat told me there have been similar incidents along the river Aire and canal with eastern Europeans laying several lines with multiple hooks along the length of each line and leaving them overnight. When they come back they can have up to a dozen fish or more per line. When confronted about doing this these people get very aggressive.Apparently carp and other freshwater fish are seen as fair game and are sold and eaten regularly in landlocked eastern European countries. However rivers over that way such as the Rhine and Danube etc make the Aire look like a piddling little beck in comparison and I guess the fish stocks in those rivers can accommodate that kind of fishing. There was a story a couple of years ago on the front page of one of the tabloids about a gang of eastern Europeans getting caught on the banks of a river one sunday afternoon barbequeuing A SWAN !!! Will these people stop at nothing to fill their guts?!?!? How about spit-roast new born baby?!! I wouldnt put it past them...
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The swan story is an urban myth and classic example of tabloid invention. A radio programme followed the sources that all went back to a quoted policeman who didn't exist and the station in question had no record or knowledge of the reported incident.http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/node/24624Fish is a problem as there are no limits or closed season and new immigrants are usually ignorant of the regs here. They can't understand why we sit by a pond all day and then throuw the fish back, they eat it, that's the point.    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Cardiarms wrote: Fish is a problem as there are no limits or closed season and new immigrants are usually ignorant of the regs here. They can't understand why we sit by a pond all day and then throuw the fish back, they eat it, that's the point.     It doesn't make it right though, does it?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

No, that's why it's a problem.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Part of the problem is apologists refusing to believe there is any problem.In the RSPCA information I saw the swan was, I think, pot roast and not BBQ'd.Ignorance of the law is of course no excuse, nor has it been for centuries of dwellers on these shores.Having said that, I struggle to believe that folks savvy enough to grasp rules which allow UK child benefit to be claimed and sent to Poland for 25,000+ children ... could not, perhaps gen up on obligations also.Perhaps a couple of pages (available translated of course) in this tax-payer funded publication might help everyone.http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/workingintheuk.pdf

edlong

Post by edlong »

Jogon wrote: Part of the problem is apologists refusing to believe there is any problem.In the RSPCA information I saw the swan was, I think, pot roast and not BBQ'd. Given the preceding posts on this subject, perhaps you would be able to provide a link to a source for that information?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

edlong wrote: Jogon wrote: Part of the problem is apologists refusing to believe there is any problem.In the RSPCA information I saw the swan was, I think, pot roast and not BBQ'd. Given the preceding posts on this subject, perhaps you would be able to provide a link to a source for that information? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... .htmlThere are plenty of links if you look for them - funnily most of the articles claiming to debunk this as an urban myth are dated before this and others were published.And it's not just "darn sarf" that the problem exists - there are makeshift campsites alongside the river at Brighouse with reports of the residents living off the land for want of a better phrase.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell