Paul's Pond.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
edlong

Post by edlong »

Ta Ravey. Not that strange really - the article you linked says "For the first time, there's irrefutable evidence" so presumably prior to that, there wasn't?I'm somewhat sceptical of the press, what with the number of stories that are published loudly, then retracted quietly later (not just the Daily Mail, although they do have quite a strong track record in this regard).

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian wrote: I took this photo today (June 27 2013) during a walk by Paul's Pond from Golden Acre Park. I wonder if anyone knows what this structure was used for?>>>>>>>>>>> wonder if the structure may once have been used by very small rowing boats, as there is clearly a way that they could have got into and out of the pond before the enclosed area silted up. I have tried other sources but have not been able to readily find any information on the structure. On my wanders too near the water at Adel Dam, there's (not stone built) a bit on NE side of lake that I took to be a hollow for a boat.Wooden sided from memory though may have rotted away by now as 20+ years ago.

Leodian

Re: Paul's Pond.

Post by Leodian »

The water level at Paul's Pond has fairly recently been lowered following concern of the condition of part of the pond's retaining wall. I had a walk to the pond on November 14 2016 and found that, though the water level was much lower than I recall, there was still a lot of water. To give an idea of the scene these are 3 photos I took. The first may give an impression that the water level was very low, the second shows water at the dam end and the third shows that there is still a lot of water depending where a photo is taken.
RecentlyPartDrainedPaulsPondNov142016.jpg
RecentlyPartDrainedPaulsPondNov142016.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
RecentPartDrainedPaulsPondDamEndNov142016.jpg
RecentPartDrainedPaulsPondDamEndNov142016.jpg (171.02 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
RecentlyPartDrainedPaulsPondStillPlentyWaterNov142016.jpg
RecentlyPartDrainedPaulsPondStillPlentyWaterNov142016.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

[quote="raveydavey"]edlong wrote: Jogon wrote: Part of the problem is apologists refusing to believe there is any problem.In the RSPCA information I saw the swan was, I think, pot roast and not BBQ'd. Given the preceding posts on this subject, perhaps you would be able to provide a link to a source for that information? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... .htmlThere are plenty of links if you look for them - funnily most of the articles claiming to debunk this as an urban myth are dated before this and others were published.And it's not just "darn sarf" that the problem exists - there are makeshift campsites alongside the river at Brighouse with reports of the residents living off the land for want of a better phrase.

Down here in Gloucestershire we have lots of East Europeans immigrant not only fishing with multiple lines but taking all sizes and species from the rivers and lakes. as the Bailiff is usually on his own and the poachers are in numbers it is impossible to do anything about the problem plus the police are normally miles away to be of any use. violence is often threatened and on one occasion a Bailiff was thrown in a lake.
It seems they eat all types of fish so not just the fish like chubb, bream roach, pike etc. but trout and salmon.
The "Close Season" when no one is allowed to fish as it is the breeding season seems to make no difference to these people.

Does not seem to be any deterrent or solution to this problem.

sparky415

Re: Paul's Pond.

Post by sparky415 »

They are draining and de-silting it. The costs are very high. Also theyve taken some of the massive old beech trees down......
Come on Leeds United!