Taxi Outing

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
paul

Post by paul »

Does anybody remember going out to Flamingo Park? We (children in care) used to get taken out for a daytrip by the taxidrivers of Leeds. Jimmy Saville always used to come down to Street Lane (it was the reception home) and see us off. There'd be hundreds of us, balloons tied to the cars, off for the day, always brill!! Likewise, every christmas the police and firemen would host parties for us.I don't know if these things still happen, a shame if they don't, because they instilled in me a love of all those people and Leeds itself.

stevief

Post by stevief »

paul wrote: Does anybody remember going out to Flamingo Park? We (children in care) used to get taken out for a daytrip by the taxidrivers of Leeds. Jimmy Saville always used to come down to Street Lane (it was the reception home) and see us off. There'd be hundreds of us, balloons tied to the cars, off for the day, always brill!! Likewise, every christmas the police and firemen would host parties for us.I don't know if these things still happen, a shame if they don't, because they instilled in me a love of all those people and Leeds itself. My first(and only!) trip to Flamingo Park was in the 60's with the school.It was a glorified farmyard with a few exotic animals andsome fairgound rides.Far removed from the theme park of today!