Vanishing Buildings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
gaelicstorm

Post by gaelicstorm »

Hi guys,Sorry for the late reply to this thread, have been really busy, from memory the air raid siren part looked very similar to whats in this linkhttp://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/wb600.htmInternally I remember a locked cupboard in the mill that had lots of techy stuff in it, I remember at one point talking to a chap who came to do work on it (military ?, or telecom ?, who knows) and he said it was linked to a central control via radio and telex ?.shame now the mills all gone and I missed my chance to photograph it, must really make the effort to get the rest of the buildings in my area before they go too.CheersAlan

simonm

Post by simonm »

carrotol wrote: Duh! Sorry, just remembered my Dad worked there. Moorfield Road isn't it. I used to work in that area too. In little factory building called Linear Products, just near the corner shop facing Charley Cake Park. Bloody freezing in there, rickety wooden steps, outside loo and it's still standing Know that well. My 1st propper girlfriend lived over the road from there!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Simon. So where did your first improper girlfriend live ??

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

carrotol wrote: Simon. So where did your first improper girlfriend live ?? In a hovel in Armley...50d an hour - we used to risk it and go over from Bramley cos she was so cheap!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Edit - this forum works CRAP!!! GRRR
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

simonm

Post by simonm »

carrotol wrote: Simon. So where did your first improper girlfriend live ?? After fighting hard to ignore the ramblings of a certain piece of flea poo on the belly of a snake, who lives in the cold north!! Carrotol, I suppose she was rather impropper, she certainly taught me things other than tiddlywinks
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

anyone remember the j arthur rank building on harehills lane,a real beast of a building,massive it was,green and white stripes,it had an air raid siren on the roof too!then over the road was the equally immense crown wallpapers factory.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

farbank

Post by farbank »

It was Kershaws. Lens and optic manufacturers. [Telescopes, periscopes, etc.]Crown Wallpapers became Tradex. Until they went to the wall also, last year or so.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

farbank wrote: It was Kershaws. Lens and optic manufacturers. [Telescopes, periscopes, etc.]Crown Wallpapers became Tradex. Until they went to the wall also, last year or so. yes thats it,but crown wallpapers was very high and took up all the space of the car park in tradex (i think!) when kershaws closed we went in and found lots of original ledgers and stuff,i am sure that kershaws was part of the rank group? we shall have a look,cheers farbank!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

can't find owt mate,but just remember it was known as kershaws or rank optics.so tradex has gone too eh?that makes crown,then dodge city,b&q and now tradex have all gone,makes me feel old mate.