This Forum - Please read

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

I dunno about you friends on here, but I'm horrified that so many people's pics have been lost in last weekend's "crash" and that the active thread section is totally out of kilter?I wrote an email to admin over a month ago, suggesting a couple of far more secure (and FREE) boards to host this forum/site on. Never got a reply. Please note - this is NOT a dig at admin. As I'm sure we all do, I truly appreciate the work and effort that went into setting up the Secret Leeds site, where we have all met and shared such wonderful memories, but am gutted that it has unravelled ATM. This current board is obviously not up to the weight of posts and it is VERY limited to say the least. No private message feature, no emoticons and posting pics is a nightmare.The boards I have suggested to Admin are stable and offer a lot more features than this current one. This forum is only going to get bigger, which as far as I can see will result in more downtime and more pics lost.I do not know what caused the crash - could even be the server.If that is the case, then it could be we need to move to a dedicated server...which costs money.I appreciate this forum enough to put up some dosh to do that. Anyone else? From experience with mine and other LUFC forums, it shouldn't cost any one of us more than a few quid a year, if we all chip in?Biggest problem will be moving the data base - anyone one here got experience in that, as whilst I can set up a new board easily, the server transfer is way beyond me?Again - this is NOT a dig at Munki or the others on admin...I'm damn grateful for this site and the effort they have put in. Thoughts and help welcome please....
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

At present I can't post pictures - anyone know why??? - I get a message saying my " I-Load 30day trial period has expired" and invites me to apply for a commercial license!!How did you post that pic in signs of old Leodis thread last night Scandy?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

I agree this board is very clunky and lacks features available on other free boards. Echoing your thanks to admin for hosting it but a move would be welcome.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

It could deffinately do with a spring clean & get rid of the multiple & dead threads.. Also the proper search facility & gallery of clickable thumbnail pics would make it all the more proffesional but the main point of the site has worked. It's deffenately got folk a lot more intersted in Leeds & i think a lot of people have learnt a lot more about there city so hats off to secret Leeds for that!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

As "admin" don't appear to be around at the moment.I believe the site is sponsored if not entirely funded by LCC and that probably means it is on an LCC server (maybe LCC techies had a liquid lunch on Friday and didn't sober up enough to notice the server was down until Sunday). Can't comment on the mb software other than yes it is a bit primitive compared to others. If my assumptions are correct the site might be a bit limited on abilities to change host and only slightly less inhibited on changing the software.I agree with Phill it is a success and google searches prove it. Quite often on researching further information the secret Leeds thread that I am trying to add to is one of the first hits on google (the civil war skirmish in kirkstall being the most recent). So maybe the site doesn't need a built in search facility
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

drapesy wrote: At present I can't post pictures - anyone know why??? - I get a message saying my " I-Load 30day trial period has expired" and invites me to apply for a commercial license!!How did you post that pic in signs of old Leodis thread last night Scandy? Drapesy lad - I posted the pic same as usual...posting its URL from my photobucket hosting and enclosing it in [img][/img]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------This post is one example why this board needs changing. Lack of a private messaging feature. Rather than have teccy (or other O/T) questions posted in threads, forum members could PM each other and not use up space on the main forum.If Drapesy and myself need to go into more detail about posting pics, it means we have to post on the main forum, wasting space and other readers' time.Other standard features most boards have (even free ones) are:A clickable "Images" button for posting pics and another button for posting links.Emoticons (smileys) - very useful when posting a comment that could be taken more than one way and possibly cause upset.A clickable button to make a word appear in italics or bold print, to emphasise a point. It can be done by using HTML code but what a hassle!A feature that enables you to see who the registered members are and if they are online when you are.And most important! an "ARRY AWK terrible puns" filter! (Nah the last one isn't available on any board I've seen - get a new board set up and I'll try and design that feature! )But my point remains - this board is clumsy and tiresome to use.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hi all,I go away for a bit and look at what happens...I'm just catching up after working away for a week, so I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with SL.com, but I'm guessing the crash and picture loss are something to do with the updates happening to the site at the mo. The gallery section, and the clickable thumbnail functions went live this weekend so it's probably related.I'll speak to the tech guys about it tomorrow morning and report back.Regarding your other comments, I'll have to look into most of those, but thanks for raising the issues as you see them - good to get some constructive feedback.The search function is on it's way though, now I've found the cash to pay for it!Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

DSCO - please refer to my email, posted a month ago to admin. I suggested two FREE alternative boards...both of which have a search option included...plus the other features I mention above.You have my email addy in my registration - please don't hesitate to use it regarding getting this forum modernised, using a board with more user friendly features.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

And another thing. Why oh why [as they say on the best letters pages] are there always between 37 and 42 users online?Call me cynical, but quite frankly I think someone's making it up.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Could just be that the hard-core of users leave their machines permanently logged on Jancee?