Mods and Rockers in Leeds in the 60's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
trophy

Post by trophy »

book wrote: I thought the milk bar in Sherburn was for motorbikes only, I only ever saw bikes there and not scooters? i never saw any scooters?????

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

I was never a mod or a rocker, but I did used to dance (with my girlfriend, now wife) to the Motown, Atlantic and Stax sounds at the Arcade Mecca in the mid sixties - Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Mary Wells, Aretha Franklin

book

Post by book »

trophy wrote: book wrote: I thought the milk bar in Sherburn was for motorbikes only, I only ever saw bikes there and not scooters? i never saw any scooters????? Me neither, plenty of greasers though.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Caron

Post by Caron »

When did "Greasers" become "Bikers" ????My friend and I were on about this the other day and I wondered did the name "Greasers" get dropped because of the bad image?Is being a "Biker" totally different to being a "Greaser" ??Anybody know ?     

zip55

Post by zip55 »

majorhoundii wrote: I was never a mod or a rocker, but I did used to dance (with my girlfriend, now wife) to the Motown, Atlantic and Stax sounds at the Arcade Mecca in the mid sixties - Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Mary Wells, Aretha Franklin The world famous Spinning Disc I believe.

book

Post by book »

Caron wrote: When did "Greasers" become "Bikers" ????My friend and I were on about this the other day and I wondered did the name "Greasers" get dropped because of the bad image?Is being a "Biker" totally different to being a "Greaser" ??Anybody know ?      They were also known as greebos.

trophy

Post by trophy »

in the sixties we were rockers greasers was a later term late 60s ?,biker seems to be the modern name for motorcyclists. who canhardly be called greasers with clean expensive coloured leathers and new garage maintained ,as opposed to old backyard bodged machines. istill ride a 1967 650 triumph so i suppose iam a classic biker.

book

Post by book »

And what a great sound they make too. Triumph, BSA etc,much better than the fizzing Jap bikes. Are there any British motor bike manufacturers left ? Do we still make bikes here?

simong

Post by simong »

book wrote: And what a great sound they make too. Triumph, BSA etc,much better than the fizzing Jap bikes. Are there any British motor bike manufacturers left ? Do we still make bikes here? Yes, Triumph are based in Leicestershire although they restarted with the name in the 80s after the original company went bust. Norton have also restarted production in the UK in recent years and there are several other small companies, mostly involved in racing.

Caron

Post by Caron »

trophy wrote: in the sixties we were rockers greasers was a later term late 60s ?,biker seems to be the modern name for motorcyclists. who canhardly be called greasers with clean expensive coloured leathers and new garage maintained ,as opposed to old backyard bodged machines. istill ride a 1967 650 triumph so i suppose iam a classic biker. Thanks trophy, I'd forgotten about Rockers.So, just to get it into my head in the correct order was it;Mods who later became Skinheads ?Rockers who later became Greasers ? Bikers who are just Bikers ?