ITV Sunday Night Theatre 5th May 1974 'There Is a Happy Land'

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Doesnt it go something like "There is a happy land far far away where we can eat bread and jam everyday"? I read the book years ago and I thought it was a semi-autobiographical account of Keith Waterhouse's childhood living in Hunslet and Middleton. I was never able to find a copy of Jubb at the local (Morley) library but I was given the impression it was about a child molester.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

jonleeds wrote: Doesnt it go something like "There is a happy land far far away where we can eat bread and jam everyday"? I read the book years ago and I thought it was a semi-autobiographical account of Keith Waterhouse's childhood living in Hunslet and Middleton. I was never able to find a copy of Jubb at the local (Morley) library but I was given the impression it was about a child molester. Not a child molester, but a "dirty old man" who bothers the ladies more than children. I've read "There is a happy land" it is about childhood in South Leeds, the problem is I tend to confuse it with Stan Barstow's "Joby" which is very similar - Stan Barstow was from Ossett and he wrote "A Kind of Loving" which was made into another of the gritty northern reality films of the early sixties, along with Billy Liar, This Sporting Life, A Taste of Honey, Room at the Top etc.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

majorhoundii wrote: jonleeds wrote: Doesnt it go something like "There is a happy land far far away where we can eat bread and jam everyday"? I read the book years ago and I thought it was a semi-autobiographical account of Keith Waterhouse's childhood living in Hunslet and Middleton. I was never able to find a copy of Jubb at the local (Morley) library but I was given the impression it was about a child molester. Not a child molester, but a "dirty old man" who bothers the ladies more than children. I've read "There is a happy land" it is about childhood in South Leeds, the problem is I tend to confuse it with Stan Barstow's "Joby" which is very similar - Stan Barstow was from Ossett and he wrote "A Kind of Loving" which was made into another of the gritty northern reality films of the early sixties, along with Billy Liar, This Sporting Life, A Taste of Honey, Room at the Top etc. Thanks for that Majorhoundii, I went through a phase of reading and watching all these social realism / angry young man / kitchen sink drama novels and films when I was doing A-level English. Films such as Kes and anything by Ken Loach, Mike Leigh or Alan Clarke were great viewing. One of my favorites by Alan Clarke is a film called 'Made in Britain' which stars a young Tim Roth as the 'VERY angry young man'!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Carona

Post by Carona »

"There is a Happy Land Far, Far Away" is actually a hymn but my dad used to sing, "There is a happy land far, far away where we'll have jam and bread three times a day. Eggs and bacon we don't see, get no sugar in our tea and we are gradually fading away.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Carona, ta.Never knew that, so the Silverdale Holiday Camp for bairns crew must've put their own words to a Sunday School / Assembly.There is a happy land, far, far away,Where saints in glory stand, bright, bright as day;Oh, how they sweetly sing, worthy is our Savior King,Loud let His praises ring, praise, praise for aye.Come to that happy land, come, come away;Why will you doubting stand, why still delay?Oh, we shall happy be, when from sin and sorrow free,Lord, we shall live with Thee, blest, blest for aye.Bright, in that happy land, beams every eye;Kept by a Father's hand, love cannot die;Oh, then to glory run; be a crown and kingdom won;And, bright, above the sun, we reign for aye.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

David Bowie - There Is A Happy Landhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjHHIjBy6ag
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

MiggyBill

Re: ITV Sunday Night Theatre 5th May 1974 'There Is a Happy Land'

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello everyone, Just watched "There is a happy land" and wondered if you can help. I know the main bits were filmed on the Middleton estate, around the school, Tivoli, and the church on Acre Road, also the fields at the back of Thorpe Lane and the woods.

Does anyone know where the back to back housing, seen at approx. 1.03 mins in, were?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD_PeTTdu5Y

Also later in the film the kids are playing in a derelict cottage, anyone know where that was? The stone quarry is another place I don't recognise.

Your help much appreciated.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

A few years after this a friend was living in a house on one of the streets north of and parallel to woodhouse lane .Some (modified) are still there. The street might have been Providence place, though I am not sure. I remember her saying that the street had been used for filming, though she didn't say for what. The type of houses, and the steepish hill of the street at the end would certainly fit. But the last time I was there would be over 30 years ago.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

chemimike wrote:A few years after this a friend was living in a house on one of the streets north of and parallel to woodhouse lane .Some (modified) are still there. The street might have been Providence place, though I am not sure. I remember her saying that the street had been used for filming, though she didn't say for what. The type of houses, and the steepish hill of the street at the end would certainly fit. But the last time I was there would be over 30 years ago.

I'm fairly certain that the filming your friend referred to was for an episode of the schools program "How we used to live"
Sorry no links though.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

chemimike wrote:A few years after this a friend was living in a house on one of the streets north of and parallel to woodhouse lane .Some (modified) are still there. The street might have been Providence place, though I am not sure. I remember her saying that the street had been used for filming, though she didn't say for what. The type of houses, and the steepish hill of the street at the end would certainly fit. But the last time I was there would be over 30 years ago.
Hi Chemimike, thanks for your response, I have had a look at the Providence streets but don't think there quite right. Looks very familiar to me but can't put my finger on the location.