Leeds Tramps

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
LS13

Post by LS13 »

I'm currently reading a book about the death in 1969 of Nigerian tramp David Oluwale, who was apparently a well known figure in Leeds throughout the 60's.As a kid, I had a facination with tramps and used to talk to them whenever I came across one. I remember an old guy called Joe who lived with other old homeless guys in a derelict house on the banks of the river opposite the Adelphi. They were there in the early 80's and we sometimes used to go and sit with them round their fire. He was foreign--polish or german and I believe he was an ex POW.I also remember a lady tramp (not woodbine Lizzie) around Headingley and Meanwood in the early to mid 70's.Another well known character was Harry Bendon/Bendown. I remember him in the early 80's (Look North once did a feature on him at Xmas). He worked the pubs and clubs as a singer in the 50's and 60's and was also a window cleaner. Apparently his party piece was to put his ladders up to a tram windows and give them a clean while at a stop!You don't seem to see many 'real' tramps nowadays which I suppose is a good thing, but the big issue sellers don't seem as interesting as the 'men of the road' of yesteryear.

parksider

Post by parksider »

i remember harry bendon..he was a well known character in many leeds pubs and clubs...well built guy..curly black greasey hair...he sang for drinks..he could down a few...actually when you talked to him he made a lot of sense..up to 9pm that is..He had a very strong untrained voice..a real larger than life character...

big s

Post by big s »

in the 70,s there was a city centre tramp called barnsley bob.
at least until the world stops going round.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

parksider wrote: i remember harry bendon..he was a well known character in many leeds pubs and clubs...well built guy..curly black greasey hair...he sang for drinks..he could down a few...actually when you talked to him he made a lot of sense..up to 9pm that is..He had a very strong untrained voice..a real larger than life character...                                                                 He did a bit of window cleaning around the town too. His favourite trick was to put his ladders up to the top deck of the bus at the Kirkgate market bus stop & start clening the front windows much to the passengers amusement & the drivers dispair :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/