Leeds Castle

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Wool

Post by Wool »

There is a house on Wigton Lane called Wigton Castle.......

liits

Post by liits »

Mark S wrote: Fair point, wasnt there suppose to have been a Motte and Bailey Castle at Armley. Its just dawned on me; if he arrived by train, and saw the gaol, maybe he was talking about that and trying to be comical.    

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

liits wrote: Mark S wrote: Fair point, wasnt there suppose to have been a Motte and Bailey Castle at Armley. Its just dawned on me; if he arrived by train, and saw the gaol, maybe he was talking about that and trying to be comical.     Reminds me of when some colleagues came over form Hong Kong and were excited by the castle on the hill you could see from the office window.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I'm probably reading too much in it but the supposed site where Leeds Castle was does look in this Google Earth view like its general shape still resembles where a Castle/Motte and Bailey could have been (well it does to me ) despite all the changes to the area over time.    
Attachments
LeedsCastleSiteGoogleEarth.jpg
LeedsCastleSiteGoogleEarth.jpg (257.71 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Mark S wrote: Fair point, wasnt there suppose to have been a Motte and Bailey Castle at Armley. What did leeds have worth nicking or defending back then, to warrent a Motte and Bailey in that location. I'm guessing at the dam and the mill.

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Cardiarms wrote: Mark S wrote: Fair point, wasnt there suppose to have been a Motte and Bailey Castle at Armley. What did leeds have worth nicking or defending back then, to warrent a Motte and Bailey in that location. I'm guessing at the dam and the mill. Motte and bailey existed at Giant's Hill, Armley in 1300, when it was called Castlearmelay. Destroyed by 1776.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

roughly where the skip makers is next to blue line taxis, i think.

Leodian

Re: Leeds Castle

Post by Leodian »

Relating to the Castle the following is an extract from Ralph Thoresby's 'Ducatus Leodiensis' 1715. I have put a modern 'f' where there was an f-like letter that was then often used for an 's'.

“The greateft part of this ancient and populous Town ftands upon the North Side of the River Are, upon an eafy Afcent; the Topographical Defcription of which is begun at the Weft Part, becaufe there of old ftood a famous Caftle with a Park adjoining, which, though now converted into leffer Inclofures, yet retains the Name of the Park to this day, and gives Denomination alfo to the Lane on the North Side thereof.

THIS Caftle was befieged by King Stephen in his March towards Scotland, Anno 1139; and here was the unfortunate Prince, King Richard II. lodged fome time before his barbarous Murder in Pontefract Caftle...

WHERE the Caftle of old ftood, is now a Capital Meffuage, and the ancient Mannor-houfe...

The Street that leads from the Caftle to the Town, is called the Bore-lane, or rather Burrow-lane...”.

It’s interesting why occasionally a modern ‘s’ was used rather than the fancy ‘f’ that I could not type and that a normal ‘f’ was used where there was an ‘f’ in a word. I had to look up what a Messsuage is and found it is “a dwelling house with outbuildings and land assigned to its use”.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

mark1978

Re:

Post by mark1978 »

Jogon wrote:capHere's the only remaining "photo" of it.
Is anyone able to re-upload the woodcut of Leeds Castle? I'd love to see it.

warringtonrhino

Re: Leeds Castle

Post by warringtonrhino »

I have in the past produced a series of historical maps of Leeds in the style of the modern OS ones. This one is the medieval which shows the site of the old moated manor house, in the location of the Scarborough public house.
Attachments
mediaeval Leeds reduced.JPG
mediaeval Leeds reduced.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2830 times