Leeds Castle

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Evening all.In 1628 'The Mannor house of Leedes stoode by the riverside moted rounde about with a dike now almost quite earthed upp'.1694 Richard Wilson inherited a 'brick house on Mill Hill'. Wilson was, or became, Recorder of Leeds.

liits

Post by liits »

I know we shouldn’t delve into politics, but I couldn’t resist this one.Listening to the radio this morning and Ed Milliband is giving a speech in Leeds.........“blah, blah, regional powerhouse etc, etc, dynamic local economy blah, blah, great castle [!]”Great caslte, I wonder where he’s thinking of [or how far back he can remember]? This from a man who has previously said “I lived in Leeds during formative years growing upand became a long-suffering Leeds United fan.” With so much obvious local knowledge, do you think we should see if he wants to become a member?    

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hehe, love it! I wonder if there are outraged local historians in Kent fuming about this speech today too
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Perhaps he was thinking of the castle folly at Roundhay Park!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I'm suspicious, a deliberate gaffe and it gets repeated?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

This website sums up the evidence neatly and gives references:http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/Eng ... 745.htmlso a possible motte and bailey timber castle might have existed.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

we have North St.,East St and West St.was there ever a South St. ?.

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

if a castle did exist would it of not been on a hill or somewhere with a good vantage point to see the enemy coming and help with defence of it?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Not always, early motte and bailey 'castles' we're barely more than a refuge for a dozen people, not a stone fortress. The motte provided the height, the location usually used defensive features such rivers to one or both sides.

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Fair point, wasnt there suppose to have been a Motte and Bailey Castle at Armley. What did leeds have worth nicking or defending back then, to warrent a Motte and Bailey in that location.