Famous Sons of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leysholme Lad

Post by Leysholme Lad »

Wally Stott born in Leeds and wrote theme tune of Hancocks Half Hour and as Angela Morley wrote music for Dallas and DynastyLived 1924 to 2009 (change in 1972)http://www.angelamorley.com/http://en.w ... ela_Morley

jim

Post by jim »

Samuel Smiles, ( 1812-1904 ) was not born in Leeds, but an important portion of his career took place here.He was born in Haddington, East Lothian, but from 1838-42 he was editor of the Leeds Times, from 1842-66 he was the secretary of the Leeds and Thirsk Railway, and from 1840 on he was secretary to the Leeds Parliamentary Reform Society. In 1859 he published "Self Help", one of the Victorian periods defining works. He also wrote twenty or so other books, of which the three/five volume "Lives of the Engineers" is still a major source of reference. Much of these would have been written during his time in Leeds.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Rod Marsh the Austriailan cricket player's grandparents were from Holbeck/Hunslet. Amy Hall b1886, She married Robert William Holgate 25 Nov 1907 at Hunslet, then went Austrailia 31 Oct 1911. Whilst over there Robert was away during the war and Amy took up with his friend Jack dutton. they had 3 more children Amy, Ken and Dorothy. Amy died during childbirth of Dorothy and Jack Dutton gave the 3 children up for adoption. Ken was given to the Marsh family. Ken is Rod Marsh father. He appeared on WDYTYA Austrailian series 3 on Dec 5th 2010. turns out he is also second cousin of my father in law!

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Trojan wrote: Speaking of Corrie, I can't find Morley born Beverley Callard on here, or her daughter Rebecca for that matter. No longer going to be in it. There's a programme about he on ITV next Wednesday. She went to the same schools as me although about 10 years after I did.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

The actor Philip Stone(s) was born in Kirkstall in 1924. He played Alex's Dad in "A Clockwork Orange" and the waiter Delbert Grady in "The Shining".

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I noted that in today's news two separate but age related items about Leeds old boys Peter O'Toole and Chris Moyles.Peter O'Toole is retiring from the stage at the age of 79 - not an unreasonable milestone at which to call it a day you might think.Chris Moyles (the Radio 1 DJ), on the other hand was to be "retired" by the radio station as he is considered to be too old for their target audience. He has decided to resign instead at the ripe old age of 38 !The appeal of bus passes, winter fuel allowances and free prescriptions must be irresistible!JD

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

jdbythesea wrote: I noted that in today's news two separate but age related items about Leeds old boys Peter O'Toole and Chris Moyles.Peter O'Toole is retiring from the stage at the age of 79 - not an unreasonable milestone at which to call it a day you might think.Chris Moyles (the Radio 1 DJ), on the other hand was to be "retired" by the radio station as he is considered to be too old for their target audience. He has decided to resign instead at the ripe old age of 38 !The appeal of bus passes, winter fuel allowances and free prescriptions must be irresistible!JD He'd better not end up on 6 Music! ... Moyles I mean, Peter O 'Toole maybe a great DJ. :-)

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

I notice that all the reports of O'Toole's retirement refer to him as Irish born but there are several strong rumours that he was a Hunslet lad ( Lucas Street ?). Anybody know ?
All knowledge is important

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Deleted    

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Just for a laugh, a famous son [or pup] of Seacroft.Soss-i-dges http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IMOSN0WYvg