Famous Sons of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

MelB of Spice girls fame...John Craven (who remembers "Newsround"?)Malcolm McDowell of cult film "A Clockwork Orange" Jeremy Paxman (a devout United fan!)Chris bluddy Moyles! :-oJamie Peacock - R.League GB captainBeryl Burton the lady cyclistand my favourite author as a kid...Arthur Ransome - who wrote the brilliant "Swallows and Amazons" series of childrens' book.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

How could I have forgotten Leeds (well, Rothwell)'s greatest ever heroine - JANE TOMLINSON??? That great lady should be an inspiration to us all, for her guts and true tyke doggedness.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

big s

Post by big s »

how about willis hall?as in THE LONG AND THE SHORT AND THE TALL.hunslet lad and ex cockburn pupil
at least until the world stops going round.

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Loinerpete wrote: This Loiner was born in the front bedroom in Rillbank View near burley road way back in 1958, there are loads and loads of famous loiners out there, i can name a few Jimmy saville, marion ryan, paul and barry ryan, barry cryer, alan bennet, ernie wise, jack shepherd, john craven, nel mcandrew, paul madeley, kevin hector, stuart mcall, gabby logan, liz dawn, brian mosely to name just a few, any more for anymore!! Yeah Pete,I forgot about Nell McAndrew, I used to see her most sundays in the Middleton Arms around 1995/96/97. I think her first name is (was) really Tracy. Her family used to live on Middleton Pk Avenue I think. Also Pudsey is soap star heaven (or hell) Alf Roberts, Liz McDonald, Gail Platt, David Platt all come from there, as does Malandra Burrows. Do you think any of these'll get a blue plaque (Len Hutton has) i've not heard of some of the famous people on the thread.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Vic ReevesBarbara Taylor Bradford (I think, despite the name!)

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Ian R P wrote: Loinerpete wrote: This Loiner was born in the front bedroom in Rillbank View near burley road way back in 1958, there are loads and loads of famous loiners out there, i can name a few Jimmy saville, marion ryan, paul and barry ryan, barry cryer, alan bennet, ernie wise, jack shepherd, john craven, nel mcandrew, paul madeley, kevin hector, stuart mcall, gabby logan, liz dawn, brian mosely to name just a few, any more for anymore!! Yeah Pete,I forgot about Nell McAndrew, I used to see her most sundays in the Middleton Arms around 1995/96/97. I think her first name is (was) really Tracy. Her family used to live on Middleton Pk Avenue I think. Also Pudsey is soap star heaven (or hell) Alf Roberts, Liz McDonald, Gail Platt, David Platt all come from there, as does Malandra Burrows. Do you think any of these'll get a blue plaque (Len Hutton has) i've not heard of some of the famous people on the thread. Arthur Ransome has a blue plaque in Hyde Park, on 6 Ash Grove. Plaque reads "ARTHUR RASNSOME Author of Swallows and Amazons was born here on 18 January 1884"

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Leonard Hutton's blue plaque is at 5 Fulneck, Pudsey. It reads:"Sir Leonard Hutton, Cricketer, (1916-1990) was born here. He played for Pudsey St Lawrence, Yorkshire and England, and holds the record of the highest individual score England v Australia, 364, at the Oval Cricket Ground, August 1938. Captain of England 1952-55."

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Hi Scandy-B re Jake Thakrays birthplace I think Wilkiwasname might have got this one slightly wrong. I tend to believe this site nearer the mark.http://www.jakethackray.com/index.php?o ... 5#1562Also Big-s don,t forget Willis Halls Playmate Keith Waterhouseand Leek Street flats very own Andy Mason (ex wakefield trinity)

simonm

Post by simonm »

drapesy wrote: simonm wrote: I thought Alan Bennet was born in Bradford? I hope Alan Bennett (Armley born and bred) doesn't read this - he'd have your guts for garters! Aye your right, was thinking of Hockney. He'll hire a hitman, especially as I'm from Armley missen!!!! :-)
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Perhaps not known to many, was Leonora Cohen, a major player in the Suffragette movement, famously destroying a display case of the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London amongst other things, to draw attention to the cause. A blue Plaque to honour her work and memory was unveiled just last week on the house where she once lived, in Clarendon Road.