Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Size matters.

jim

Post by jim »

Jim............sighs.

200 Ton

Post by 200 Ton »

built to last, that's how things were before most of this countrys industry was sold out to foreigners out to make a cheap buck at the expense of our reputation and pride.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

200 Ton wrote: built to last, that's how things were before most of this countrys industry was sold out to foreigners out to make a cheap buck at the expense of our reputation and pride. This thread has become unfortunately W..I..D..E.. like so many other ones.Still,not to worry.I remember well ,my visits to Henry Berry's works in Hunslet(near the Gardeners Arms then) to see some magnificent old machine tools.....one of which I seem to recall was a massive old SKODA drill......back in 't'eighties !Did a marvellous job apparently.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

200 Ton

Post by 200 Ton »

so I guess nobody else knows anything about J Buckton and Co? I'd love to find a history of the machines they sold and when each one was built. Sorry about the width, just shows how big the machine is....

Cait

Re: J Buckton & Co Ltd of Hunslet

Post by Cait »

Hi, I was just doing some genealogical research and found Joshua Buckton. In 1841 aged 21 he is living wth his mother Mary on Gledhow Mount in Chapel Allerton and is listed as a Mechanician [?} In 1851 aged 31 he is an Engineer in an Iron Foundry with 66 "hands" working for him, and is living on St. Marks Place in Woodhouse with his wife Mary and a son. He is listed on the 1861 census as being a Mechanical engineer employing 190 men and 66 boys, living in Moorallerton with servants including a governess, two maids and a cook. He is listed on the 1871 census aged 51 as a Mechanical Engineer employing 156 men and 86 boys, living with his wife Elizabeth nee Lumsden on Harrogate Road Chapeltown and with one maid. On the 1891 census aged 71 he is in West Lea Lodge Chapel Allerton listed as a Mechanical Engineer with 3rd wife Helen nee Shepherd and cook, two maids and a coachman. He died 10 days after his 74th birthday.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I recently searched Leodis for the name Buckton.
I had been given some copies of letters from my grand dad who died when I was about 2 sent to my mother,

He was in St James's,he said the ward was always busy,cleaning,serving food and of course health care.
"Its like Buckton - we never sleep"
Leodis results showed an estate agents and an undertakers in Albion Street and garage in Wood house.
I googled Bucktons we never sleep which revealed that this referred to the advertising slogan of the undertakers and was whe Keith Waterhouse was a clerk as a young man
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

paulcrrll8

Post by paulcrrll8 »

We are currently looking for a home or museum for what we believe is the last surviving 200t Buckton Universal Testing Machine, it was installed 2nd hand in our factory in 1901.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Not really expecting that anything would come up I've just done a search in eBay for 'Buckton' under 'Collectables' and in the results there were 11 items related to the Buckton of this thread. All 11 were pages taken from old copies of the Engineering magazine and had images and interesting information about various Buckton machines. They items do though seem very expensive (well at least to me!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.