J Buckton & Co Ltd of Hunslet

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
LS1

Re: J Buckton & Co Ltd of Hunslet

Post by LS1 »

paulcrrll8 wrote:We are currently looking for a home or museum for what we believe is the last surviving 200t Buckton Universal Testing Machine, it was installed 2nd hand in our factory in 1901.
Have you tried the council museums dept? Possibility that Armley Mills might have it?

[email protected] or write to:

Leeds Museums and Galleries,
Leeds Museum Discovery Centre
Carlisle Road
Leeds
LS10 1LB

0113 378 3173​- Leeds Industrial Museum at Armley Mills

LS1

Post by LS1 »

paulcrrll8 wrote:We are currently looking for a home or museum for what we believe is the last surviving 200t Buckton Universal Testing Machine, it was installed 2nd hand in our factory in 1901.
Have you tried the council museums dept? Possibility that Armley Mills might have it?

[email protected] or write to:

Leeds Museums and Galleries,
Leeds Museum Discovery Centre
Carlisle Road
Leeds
LS10 1LB

0113 378 3173​- Leeds Industrial Museum at Armley Mills

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

This is a great offer from paulcrr118.
It would be a tragedy if this machine was not snapped up by some lcal Museum. In lots of cases the owners needing the space would simply scrap it as the metal / iron would be worth quite a bit.
Though it would be good for this to stay in Leeds maybe a Sheffield Industrial Museum might take it on.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I would think Armley Mills would be the ideal place for this machine they have machines from a lot of old Leeds companys.All of the company's long gone,its a way of showing younger people how great Leeds was when it comes to industry,of the company's theres nothing left but the machines tell the story.Please can you let us know the outcome paulcrrll8 being from Hunslet the heart of Leeds industry this is of interest to me and no doubt a lot more members on here many thanks .ps To me you can not put a price on this when it comes to Hunslet history,in my mind it is priceless.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.