Origin of names

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
simonm

Post by simonm »

I'm sure I spotted this on the site somewhere, but can't, for the life of me find it. Admin, if it does exist, please accept my apologies and delete as you see fit.What I would like to know is, what does the term ***ley mean in a name, ie, Armley, Bramley etc?Many thanks in advance!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I believe it means a 'clearing' in a forest
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Cheers. I thought it may have been some reference to a Lea, but not sure. Thanks
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Hate to be a know-it-all (!), but "Ley" in this case is the old name for common land or a cow pasture."Common" sounds VERY appropriate for Armley, though the grazing land will have been better in Bramley (everything is!) ;-)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Must be a real shame for the Bramley'ites that in recent years the roles have reversed.Still, cheers for the info all!!

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Despite the fact Farnley shares a border with Bramley and Armley i am pleased to say the ring-road seems to keep most of you buggers away!! :-)

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Hi,I always thought 'ley' meant Field or Pasture (as stated) and 'ton' hamlet or farm. They are Anglo saxon, meaning most of these places originate from 400 - 900 AD. I work a lot in West Leeds, so it's nice to see a good old West Leeds rumble going on ha ha.

simonm

Post by simonm »

FarnleyBloke wrote: Despite the fact Farnley shares a border with Bramley and Armley i am pleased to say the ring-road seems to keep most of you buggers away!! :-) Shame you share the postcode (ls12) then... ;-) :-)))

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

simonm wrote: FarnleyBloke wrote: Despite the fact Farnley shares a border with Bramley and Armley i am pleased to say the ring-road seems to keep most of you buggers away!! :-) Shame you share the postcode (ls12) then... ;-) :-))) Bramleyites built the ringroad AND Stanningley Road to keep you LS12 inbreds away from the respectable LS13 area! Thank god you've not learned how to press the "green man" buttons on the zebra crossings yet, with any of your 12 fingers. :-))))Me and me Bramley mates used to cruise Stanningley Road at night in our motors, looking for armley asylum seekers trying to sneak across. "Theres some - gettem!" SPLAT! ;-)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.