The Caspar block of flats.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Passing by today (February 17 2012) I noticed that the Caspar site is for sale. It is advertised as having 45 apartments. This once award winning block was closed some while back now for safety reasons (to do with possible damage in wind I recall). I assume therefore that it will need remedial work in order to make it safe (unless it is demolished). With the recently reported coming opening of the opposite Crispin House with its many apartments there are therefore going to be even more apartments in that area.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I'd always assumed that it was Architect's offices. Looked good from afar. Quite a lot vacant Nth St / Skinner Ln

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'd guess that whoever buys the Caspar flats will simply demolish them and start again.You are right to say they were evacuated due to concerns with the roof and I recall it being mentioned at the time that engineers were looking for a solution. Presumably one was never found (or it was going to be prohibitively expensive), hence they have been empty for years.As Jogon says, they were a pleasing design to look at - one of the better recent builds in the city centre.They aren't the only flats from the nineties / noughties builds to have similar problems - new build flats in Swarcliffe lost their roof a year or so ago, with the residents evacuated to alternative accommodation and those living nearby told to stay indoors.Perhaps they just don't build them like they used to?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

From the building on North St thread    As the name says i live in caspar leeds and guess what, we got evacuated on monday night!! What the articles don tell you is that it isnt the method of construction that is wrong, or that its a huge failure, there is nothing wrong with prefab. It was the human factor that went wrong. Im not going to do the blame game but if you leave module unprotected on site in the snow and rain for 3 days before putting it in the wrong place in the building, ie reinforced ground floor flats on the top floor your bound to have problems. subsidence doesnt help either. The good news is thats we are back home now waiting to find a new place to live in the city
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

From the for sale noticeGuideprice £2.5 millionThe site is located to the north of Leeds City Centre with access off North Street. The property is within 0.5 mils of the variety of amenities Leeds City Centre offers, including the retail district, the railway station, commercial core and Universities. Within 0.25 miles is the new Leeds Arena. The site is approximately 0.345 hectares (0.853 acres) and comprises a development of 45 apartments constructed in a semi circular building facing south onto an open courtyard. Due to the sites topography the apartments are built over 3 storeys on the west, 4 storeys on the north and 5 on the east of the crescent. The properties have all been vacant since 2005 and have suffered some internal damage, the apartments now require full refurbishment.I would think demolition is more of an optionthan 'full refurbishment'
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

dogduke wrote: From the for sale noticeGuideprice £2.5 millionThe site is located to the north of Leeds City Centre with access off North Street. The property is within 0.5 mils of the variety of amenities Leeds City Centre offers, including the retail district, the railway station, commercial core and Universities. Within 0.25 miles is the new Leeds Arena. The site is approximately 0.345 hectares (0.853 acres) and comprises a development of 45 apartments constructed in a semi circular building facing south onto an open courtyard. Due to the sites topography the apartments are built over 3 storeys on the west, 4 storeys on the north and 5 on the east of the crescent. The properties have all been vacant since 2005 and have suffered some internal damage, the apartments now require full refurbishment.I would think demolition is more of an optionthan 'full refurbishment' Those particulars don't appear to mention how handy it is for the Inner Ring Road for some reason..?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

JarodValdez

Post by JarodValdez »

Looked good from afar.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian

Re: The Caspar block of flats.

Post by Leodian »

After a very long period when little (if anything) happened there has been work going on at the site for a while now to renovate the old apartments. Passing by on a bus recently I noticed that much more scaffolding had appeared so I went to have a look at the site a few days after. These are 2 of the photos that I took on October 25 2016. I wonder if the scaffolding might be to do with building new apartments, but perhaps it may be to do with any new associated features (such as a bar, cafe and or whatever)?
CasparSiteNorthStreetLeedsOct252016.jpg
CasparSiteNorthStreetLeedsOct252016.jpg (137.72 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
ScaffoldCasparSiteNorthStreetLeedsOct252016.jpg
ScaffoldCasparSiteNorthStreetLeedsOct252016.jpg (183.35 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: The Caspar block of flats.

Post by tilly »

Looks like its for putting up more steel work gone are the days when steel erectors would shin up the girders.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.