Hepton

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by Hepton »

Joe Hepton passed away peacefully aged 96 at his home in leeds In August 2017

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

0376 DS Roberts.
Just seen the death notice of the ex D.S.
Attachments
P1030832.JPG
P1030832.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 10442 times

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

Alan was a great bloke and I knew him from when I joined the Leeds City Police in 1965 until he retired in the 1980's. He served as a constable, and then as a sergeant, for most of his service, in the Scenes of Crime Department at Brotherton House Police Headquarters. I found that he was always cheerful and very helpful.
Another former colleague, Jack Appleyard, has also died recently, also aged 83 years. I only ever knew Jack as an inspector. mainly in the Traffic Department at Belle Vue Road Police Garage and also as a shift inspector. He was a quiet man but always approachable and helpful. I found him to be a true gentleman. I don't know his collar number before he was an inspector.

Ian

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

volvojack wrote:My Grandfather was a Police Officer in the Leeds Polce and died in 1934. he lived with his Wife at 7, New Church Street and i would like to know just where this was.
It souunds a bit like Leeds 10 area but that would surprise me as he seemed to live East Leeds, including being the Landlord of the Great North Eastern Hotel ( which sounds rather grand but really was a large Pub off Church Rd. overlookiing the Bank. )
For
Volvojack.

Re New Church Place.
In the top 50 today is a photo headed St Marys church and school.among the comments is one from a guy now living in America who lived in N C Place up to 1940.
The comment is over 7 yes old but there us an email address.

Might be worh a punt.
The school by the way is St Charled RC
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

822_001.jpg
822_001.jpg (330.67 KiB) Viewed 10215 times
Just found this "Yorkshire Evening News about 1960"

iansmithofotley

Hi hyperion3,

The photograph is not of Leeds City Police officers. I suspect that it is of Metropolitan Police officers as the officer on the right has the number 438B and the one on the left 432 (possibly with a B before it). The B would indicate the division at which the officer was stationed which happened in the Met. (it may also have happened in some other forces but not in Leeds to my knowledge).

The helmets are not Leeds City Police helmets, as in modern times, the Leeds helmets had a central plume from front to back with a small badge at the front (some other forces such as Bradford City Police and Rotherham Police also had them. The West Riding Constabulary had helmets of the same shape as those in the photograph as did many other forces). Many Police Forces had a standard type main badge, similar to those on the helmets in the photograph, but the Leeds force had its own unique badge with parts of the coat of arms on it including a suspended sheep in a central circle, surrounded by Pro Rege Et Lege, and an owl on the very top. All forces had the individual force name on the badge.

Some forces had uniforms and helmets with buttons and badges in chrome, for use during the day, whereas they had identical uniforms but with buttons and badges in black for use during the night. There was the odd force, such as Derbyshire Police, that used to have standard mainly black badges.

The photograph shows the officers with 'Dog Collar' uniforms. These were phased out during the 1950's so I think that the photograph is before 1960.

I looked on Google to try and trace the photograph, to see if there was any other further information, but without success.

Ian

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

Hiya Ian
This picture has a stamp on the back. stating Yorkshire Evening News ,13-17 Trinity St Leeds 1,And with the sign on the wall with a list of leeds areas, it seems im very wrong sorry for that,could it be Leeds Kent.

iansmithofotley

Post deleted due to duplication of information already posted re New Church Street.
Last edited by iansmithofotley on Sun 28 Jan, 2018 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

iansmithofotley

hyperion3 wrote:Hiya Ian
This picture has a stamp on the back. stating Yorkshire Evening News ,13-17 Trinity St Leeds 1,And with the sign on the wall with a list of leeds areas, it seems im very wrong sorry for that,could it be Leeds Kent.
Hi hyperion3,

You are not wrong. The photograph is outside of the Leeds register Office at 11 Park Square, Leeds. I think that the answer is probably that a Metropolitan Police Officer married a Leeds lady and some of his mates from the Met attended to form a 'Guard of Honour'.

Here is a photograph of some of my former Leeds City Police colleagues at their wedding, stood in the same place:

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 2_63566226

Alan Stoneley retired as a Chief Superintendent, Gillian Stoneley left the force as an Inspector. She was the first Leeds City Police Woman Officer to attend the accelerated promotion 'Special Course' at Bramshill Police Training College. I think that she left to have children and never returned. Evelyn Essex married a colleague called Gerry Ingham. I think that Evelyn also left as an Inspector to have children. Gerry retired as a Superintendent. Both sets of couples lived in Horsforth for many years but Gerry and Evelyn have now moved to the East Coast.

I worked with Alan at Weetwood P.S. in the 1980's. Evelyn and I worked on the same shift at Upper Wortley P.S. in 1965 - 1967. Also during 1965 - 1967, Gerry was a uniform constable at Dewsbury Road Police Station and was on the same shift rota as Evelyn and I, we were also in C.I.D. together. Also, in 1966, Gerry's father, Henry Ingham, was my shift Inspector.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

dogduke wrote:
volvojack wrote:My Grandfather was a Police Officer in the Leeds Polce and died in 1934. he lived with his Wife at 7, New Church Street and i would like to know just where this was.
It souunds a bit like Leeds 10 area but that would surprise me as he seemed to live East Leeds, including being the Landlord of the Great North Eastern Hotel ( which sounds rather grand but really was a large Pub off Church Rd. overlookiing the Bank. )
For
Volvojack.

Re New Church Place.
In the top 50 today is a photo headed St Marys church and school.among the comments is one from a guy now living in America who lived in N C Place up to 1940.
The comment is over 7 yes old but there us an email address.

Might be worth a punt.
The school by the way is St CharlesRC.

Thanks dogduke, but i have already had the information back shortly after posting. As usual the Response was prompt and accurate.
The large Church at the side of St. Charles School was St. Patrick's R.C. Burmantofts,

I am curious to know about "St, Mary's Church"
The only Church i know about is Mount St. Mary's which was high up on Richmond Hill.
One thing is certain, The answer will be dealt with around here.