iansmithofotley
PostsCOLON 367
JoinedCOLON Fri 28 Dec, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Postby iansmithofotley » Sun 28 Jan, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Jack,

There's a thread which mentions it here:

viewtopic.php?t=3696

If you check out both churches on Wikipedia and Genuki Leeds you will find that St Mary's Church, near to Mabgate, was built before Mount St Marys' Church on the Rock/Richmond Hill. I think that Mount St Mary's was built because of the Irish Roman Catholic population which settled in the area during the 1840's due to the famine in Ireland.

Ian
hyperion3
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Sun 19 Jun, 2016 5:36 pm

Postby hyperion3 » Sun 28 Jan, 2018 1:32 pm

I think St Mary's Quarry Hill, was one of three Waterloo churches built in Leeds.
buffaloskinner
PostsCOLON 1237
JoinedCOLON Sun 01 Apr, 2007 6:02 pm
LocationCOLON Nova Scotia

Postby buffaloskinner » Sun 28 Jan, 2018 1:45 pm

:idea:
St Marys church (long demolished and graveyard exhumed) was just a couple of hundred yards from St Patricks RC church. See map below.
There was also a St Patricks RC Chapel and school further up York Road just a few hundred yards before the Star Cinema.

:arrow:
Attachments
St Marys & St Patricks Burmantofts.JPG
St Marys & St Patricks Burmantofts.JPG (140.81 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?
volvojack
PostsCOLON 908
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks again for the prompt replies.
I do not understand why such a Church as St Patricks with two impressive doorways only seemed to use the smaller one at the side, Unless it was just for more Important occasions In later years it was used but then again it was not long before the York Road Flyover was built and then driving over ( as of now ) there is not much more than the Church Roof to be seen. Don't know what all the adjoining buildings are used for these days. In my day there was a thriving "Market District Boys Boxing Club " plus Boy Scouts and Cubs Meetings.

That reminds me that St. Anne's Cathedral only used the side entrance. The only time i saw the Doors open at the front was for some Episode of a T.V. where the Villain rang out and was killed .

Return to