2 Older Leeds Murders + 1 solved.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Toughy

Post by Toughy »

I was a Police Officer at Millgarth in the late 1970s/early 1980s & I don't remember a murder at Woodheads, Kirkgate. However I do remember one at Turtons Corn Merchants, The Calls in the early 1980s & I wonder if that's the one you are referring to? A young male member of staff came to open up the premises at about 7am & it appears that he disturbed intruders & he was murdered. His body was found by other employees & I spent the morning helping to preserve the murder scene. The murder was sadly never detected.
A. Tough

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

That's brilliant.I think from your description this must be it. I know it was a young male, and it was an early morning. I may have been disinformed about the address.So yes please if you are able give as much (without disclosing confidences) as you feel able, dates addresses etc so I might link this up to a yorkshire post coverage.While you are on.......(and hoping you can shed light on this one)------------------------------------------------We've thrown up an odd 4th. Yet there seems to be zero coverage or info about it.FOURTH>>Leeds murder of George Anthony Browne 23.12.87 (dob 26.12.57)Yet oddly there seems to be no press coverage. Hope a passing SL ex officer recalls. Odd case indeed.

Toughy

Post by Toughy »

Can't say I've heard of the fourth victim's name. Have you any idea where in Leeds it occurred?Regarding the Corn Merchant's murder - it happened in June 1979 (don't remember the date I'm afraid). The victim's name was Michael John Baker (b. 16/06/1950). I think he lived in East Leeds (possibly the Seacroft area) but I may be wrong. The site of the murder was the corn warehouse in The Calls - it is now the old part of The Chandlers apartment building. The large arched wooden door is still there & Michael Baker was the first employee at work that morning (as he often was). He accessed the building through a small wooden door which was part of the larger arched door & he disturbed an intruder or intruders who it is believed were after the safe. He was attacked (I think he died from a blow to the head) & the suspect(s) ran off. The murder is still unsolved.
A. Tough

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

ToughyMuch appreciated, thanks for that. The date ties in, I had the wrong location.Your info helpfully concludes this thread.----------------------------------Apart from..more recently added fourth one:-Leeds murder of George Anthony Browne 23.12.87 (dob 26.12.57)Think it took place near Belle Vue Road, might have been the Kendals. Don't know much beyond that but heard he was 'known to police'.Gruesome with bits of him all round Leeds. Very quickly solved with girlfriend+ new boyfriend apprehended.

maxy b

Post by maxy b »

Malcolm Tyerman is my grandad if you have any questions please ask me

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Maxy bFirst of all, welcome aboard on SL.Yes please, as much information as you are able, that would be very helpful.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Found a very brief mention of George Anthony Browne's murder [his name misspelled as 'Brown'] in The Observer:http://www.solearabiantree.net/namingof ... er1987.pdf

maxy b

Post by maxy b »

My grandad spoke to me about abit of but he gets very aggitated about the subject he is still very nasty to this day he mentioned that him and david were partners and were doing bank robberies and anything such as such, he was also a legal arms dealer he had a arms room with other 500 guns because he was obsessed with the things.i think the next time i see him i will upload the photo graphs what hes still got he also thinks he is still big man walking around in the pin stripped suit but ohwell, hes just had his license took off him aswell for driving under the influence and hes fat now with glasses.When his son called john tyerman came other to see my mother after 25 years of not seeing each other he mentioned when my grandad was on the run he had a big truck and stopped of somewhere in york for a pint and left him the truck, he went into the pubs he ended starting a fight in the pub and got his head put threw a juke box, he then went home to pick a gun up and drove all the way back to point the gun the 3 mens faces just to think hes big and clever.I dont like my grandad for what hes done but at the end of the day he still is my grandad.

jim

Post by jim »

Googling "Malcolm Tyerman" brings up a reference to the book "A Thorn In Their Side" which links to pages of that book concerning the murder of a lady called Helen Murrell, and which discusses Tyerman's involvement with that event, Warning - you will need a very strong stomach.

maxy b

Post by maxy b »

Yes I saw that lastnight when i was trying to find something about my grandad have been doing for years but this was the first article that i could find then it lead to that women my mother said tday when i was telling her about she said she had a leeter from her about my grandad and david but no one can know because we cant see what thier thinking so its a mistery also davids girl friend disappeared aswell so some questions needs answers