2 Older Leeds Murders + 1 solved.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I recall two murders but cannot remember whether they were ever solved. Help please.1. Nursery (Plants) George Woodhead and son, seed manufacturers is at number 83 Junction Kirkgate/Harper St (oppo Duck n Drake by Railway Line)A colleague late 1970's mentioned a woman who's son who worked at the nursery had been killed by an intruder.Does anyone know the outcome or did someone 'get away with murder'?2. Fish Street (believed to have been Firth & Payne Bread Shop, Bacon etc)Again I'm sure I recall 70s/80's murder of the proprietor by an intruder?Does anyone recall/know this one? [GOOD INFO FROM keyholekate]3. Solved - Sgt John Speed (RIP)[ANSWERED AND CONCLUDED THANKS TO iansmith'o'otley]The killer, David Gricewith, was identified after his own death some 2 years later. Gricewith, a garage owner, was a career armed criminal.A police chase followed a raid on a supermarket at Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, two years after Sgt Speed's murder. Gricewith's sawn-off shotgun went off accidentally, shooting him in the stomach, when police rammed his van. He died soon afterwards.I seem to recall the involvement in the case of a Lidgett Lane (Gledhow) Shop owner who was either a fence for stolen goods or an arranger of things. Can anyone recall?            

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

SoYou're not prepared to talk eh.Something to hide, have we?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Jogon wrote: SoYou're not prepared to talk eh.Something to hide, have we? Your Humphrey Bogart impression is brilliant Jogon.     

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jogon,I don’t recall the first two incidents that you have mentioned, so I presume that if they were both murder enquiries, then they will probably have been detected.I knew John Speed from the date that he joined the Leeds City Police in 1965 until his murder in 1984. We joined together and did all of our initial training together, but we never worked together as we were always in different places.So far as relates to the ‘shop owner’ on Lidgett Lane shopping parade, which you mentioned, you are partly correct. The shop owner was arrested, around 1970, by officers of the Leeds City Crime Squad for receiving stolen goods, he was of previous good character and lived in a nice detached house, just off Street Lane, near to Moortown Corner. He was receiving stolen goods from van drivers and carriers from all over the north of England. I was involved in the whole enquiry and a large number of people were arrested and charged, mainly for stealing from their employers and the shopkeeper for receiving stolen goods. As far as I am aware, the shopkeeper was not in trouble again during the following years.After the John Speed murder, as you can imagine, a lot of manpower was committed to the enquiry as the gunman was still at large. Often in these major investigations, other crimes/offences, not connected with the original enquiry, and offenders are identified. During the John Speed enquiry, a team of criminals were identified who were committing robberies in the north of England and I believe that Griceworth and Tyerman were connected with those criminals. As enquiries progressed, it was found that the one of the ‘organisers’, of some of these robberies, was the shopkeeper mentioned above. I was not involved in the Speed murder enquiry so I can not say precisely what happened, but the man went to prison, probably for conspiracy, handling stolen goods, or whatever. I don’t recall him actually committing the robberies himself as he had severe physical disabilities, even when he was dealt with around 1970, but I might be wrong. I have not named him as he is probably still alive and living in Leeds.If you use the 'search' facility, on this site, you will find that John Speed's name has cropped up several times.Ian        

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Ian Really appreciate that. As a kid I was a customer of the Lidgett Lane Shop and was appalled at the (mistaken) belief he was Mr Big behind the Sgt Speed affair.What an excellent site!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

ian 'o otley kindly solved the query on the solved one - thanks.can anyone shed light on the 2 others:-1- at the (former) nursey Kirkgate oppo D&Drake2- at the (former) Firth & Payne bread/bacon shop Fish Stany relatives of S.L. or ex Leeds police S.L. who may recall?

beast

Post by beast »

1 murder that,as far as I am aware, remains unsolved was that of Mary Judge who lived a few streets away from me in East End Park.think it was in the late 1970's ?anyone remember it ?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

beast wrote: 1 murder that,as far as I am aware, remains unsolved was that of Mary Judge who lived a few streets away from me in East End Park.think it was in the late 1970's ?anyone remember it ? See the comments in this threadhttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=558

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Uncle Mick It seems the site 'went down' (did it fall or was plug pulled) after you volunteered info on these murders.Methinks you were the last post.Clearly there are secrets folks want kept as, errr..secrets.Keep looking over your shoulder mate.No one else is willing to talk. I might have to 'cold case' these two mi'ssen (as we say).

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Does anybody remember the murder of a ma on St Michael's Lane, just south of the railway bridge to the rugby ground. 5pm ish, broad daylight, battered over the head. IIRC he worked at the uni? No robbery or motive.