2 Older Leeds Murders + 1 solved.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cardiarms wrote: At the uni? No, by the crime scene

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Is my recollection correct? I got questioned by the police about it but was at work at the time.

Goot

Post by Goot »

keyholekate wrote: Jogon wrote: I recall two murders but cannot remember whether they were ever solved. Help please.1. Nursery (Plants) Junction Kirkgate/Harper St (oppo Duck n Drake by Railway Line)A colleague late 1970's mentioned a woman who's son who worked at the nursery had been killed by an intruder.Does anyone know the outcome or did someone 'get away with murder'?2. Fish Street (believed to have been Firth & Payne Bread Shop, Bacon etc)Again I'm sure I recall 70s/80's murder of the proprietor by an intruder?Does anyone recall/know this one?3. Solved - Sgt John Speed (RIP)The killer, David Gricewith, was identified after his own death some 2 years later. Gricewith, a garage owner, was a career armed criminal.A police chase followed a raid on a supermarket at Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, two years after Sgt Speed's murder. Gricewith's sawn-off shotgun went off accidentally, shooting him in the stomach, when police rammed his van. He died soon afterwards.I seem to recall the involvement in the case of a Lidgett Lane (Gledhow) Shop owner who was either a fence for stolen goods or an arranger of things. Can anyone recall?     A few weeks ago I was talking to my brother who in the seventies worked in the County Arcade where the Mecca used to be. He was about 20 years old then and worked at a Mister Minit keycutting,engraving booth. . .he then moved to Lewis's basement with the same Mister Minit company.He was telling me about a butchers shop ,I think he said it was a butchers actually in the arcade itself but could be wrong as we were talking about a cafe on Fish Street too.He said he always went to this butchers shop and the butcher used to lay all his goods,bacon,sausages etc out almost as if he had used a ruler to measure the gaps between them and how lovely his shop was,spotless and my brother used to have a friendly small talk chat every time he went in. He said he was a nice chap and proud owner of his shop and opened up very early.As my brother used to get off his bus at the markets he used to walk past and he would wave.One morning in the seventies as my brother passed the police and ambulance were there. . . the butcher was found murdered in his shop and my brother said it was an ex employee who had waited for him and killed him.I wonder if this is the same murder? I remember the murder at the butchers,it was down a small narrow alley,cant remember the exact location,but i used to go there all the time as a kid,like you said the owner was very neat and friendly and the meat was top quality,i used to love the sausage rolls.The murder must have been in the early 80s because thats when i was a kid and i remember my dad telling me all about it and been a bit freaked out,i think it was an employee or something as mentioned,does anyone else have any info?

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I do remember when PS John Speed and his companion were killed. As a Mother of young children at the time it was an awful thing to think of those poor Policemen unarmed and being shot at for doing their job. My youngest son was 4 years old and had a toy police bike and a helmet he used to always say he was going to be a Policeman when he grew up. He changed his mind when this incident happened at St Peters Church. He never did become a Policeman.We went to the funeral procession and stood to attention as the coffins went by. It was raining at the time. I think like alot of others standing there these poor men deserved the respect of the people of Leeds. When David Gricewith, the nowhere man, was killed by his own shotgun I remember feeling really pleased that he had killed himself. He was someone who should not be mourned. I go back to Leeds often and see the Church of St Peters as many in my ancestors married at that church. I think of their happy marriages and then I think of the dead Policemen. People who carry guns deserve all the bad vibes they get.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Photo was Firth & Payne Butchers & Breadcake shop in Fish St Murder 2 mentioned at start. Murder 1 still no info. Come on someone, there's a pint for information.Item 3 concluded, thanks.    
Attachments
__TFMF_03b4a245uquqsr45t2bbgz55_f86cccae-7564-446a-a639-4edc81b6c916_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_03b4a245uquqsr45t2bbgz55_f86cccae-7564-446a-a639-4edc81b6c916_0_main.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 2872 times

Goot

Post by Goot »

Ah yes thats the place,i remember the gents hairdressers opposite too,i thought it was a butchers,but now i remember it was meat at one end of the shop bread at the other,great little shop,ive searched online for info about this murder as i remember it been quite a big thing to me as a kid as we went every week.

Goot

Post by Goot »

or maybe it was a tobacconist?not a hairdressers?my memory is fading ha ha

dadrockholiday

Post by dadrockholiday »

Re The Fish Street murder at the bakers shop. I was a serving police officer at Millgarth Street, Police station, at the time of the incident. We initially recieved a call from the fire briggade as the building was alight. On arrival the victims body was found. The offender had previously worked at the shop and had stolen some items of food the previous day, as a result of this he had been sacked and this was the apparent motive for the murder. He had gone into Leeds that day and purchased, what can only be described as a "Rambo knife." He then this together with a large pair of scissors to carry out his attack on the victim. He then got a taxi home from the scene covered in blood! Hence he was arrested within 4 hours of committing the crime. Hope this helps..

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

DadrockThat is very kind of you. Wow odd case. Spose he's out now....That only now leaves the murder down Kirkgate at the Nursery, Seed Merchants. To remind:-1. Nursery (Plants) George Woodhead and son, seed manufacturers is at number 83 Junction Kirkgate/Harper St (oppo Duck n Drake by Railway Line)A colleague late 1970's knew a woman who's son who worked at the nursery had been killed by an intruder. Think he went in very early and disturbed someone.Does anyone know the outcome or did someone 'get away with murder'?        

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Anyone (or new arrivals) know details of this final murder?George Woodhead and son, seed manufacturers is at number 83 Junction Kirkgate/Harper St (oppo Duck n Drake by Railway Line)A colleague late 1970's knew a woman who's son who worked at the nursery had been killed by an intruder. Think he went in very early and disturbed someone.Does anyone know the outcome or did someone 'get away with murder'?