2 Older Leeds Murders + 1 solved.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Forgot to say would be about 1991/92.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

cardii was there at the time (no not like that)

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

At the uni?

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Jogon wrote: I recall two murders but cannot remember whether they were ever solved. Help please.1. Nursery (Plants) Junction Kirkgate/Harper St (oppo Duck n Drake by Railway Line)A colleague late 1970's mentioned a woman who's son who worked at the nursery had been killed by an intruder.Does anyone know the outcome or did someone 'get away with murder'?2. Fish Street (believed to have been Firth & Payne Bread Shop, Bacon etc)Again I'm sure I recall 70s/80's murder of the proprietor by an intruder?Does anyone recall/know this one?3. Solved - Sgt John Speed (RIP)The killer, David Gricewith, was identified after his own death some 2 years later. Gricewith, a garage owner, was a career armed criminal.A police chase followed a raid on a supermarket at Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, two years after Sgt Speed's murder. Gricewith's sawn-off shotgun went off accidentally, shooting him in the stomach, when police rammed his van. He died soon afterwards.I seem to recall the involvement in the case of a Lidgett Lane (Gledhow) Shop owner who was either a fence for stolen goods or an arranger of things. Can anyone recall?     A few weeks ago I was talking to my brother who in the seventies worked in the County Arcade where the Mecca used to be. He was about 20 years old then and worked at a Mister Minit keycutting,engraving booth. . .he then moved to Lewis's basement with the same Mister Minit company.He was telling me about a butchers shop ,I think he said it was a butchers actually in the arcade itself but could be wrong as we were talking about a cafe on Fish Street too.He said he always went to this butchers shop and the butcher used to lay all his goods,bacon,sausages etc out almost as if he had used a ruler to measure the gaps between them and how lovely his shop was,spotless and my brother used to have a friendly small talk chat every time he went in. He said he was a nice chap and proud owner of his shop and opened up very early.As my brother used to get off his bus at the markets he used to walk past and he would wave.One morning in the seventies as my brother passed the police and ambulance were there. . . the butcher was found murdered in his shop and my brother said it was an ex employee who had waited for him and killed him.I wonder if this is the same murder?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

keyholeYes, that is murder '2' on my list. Great thanks, any more about it? Murder 1 still no info.Murder 3 help received and matter closed.2 has same MO as murder '1' . From brief mention I think the young man at the nursery bottom right kirkgate arrived very early and was murdered.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

GeordexDon't remember that one, will have a look.Ah knaa yee think of weh as southerners doon heor , but there's a welcome fre yee if yee are ever in these parts. A pint of Sam Smiths an a haman peaspuddin sarnie, or wor lass's Corned Beef Pie. Anyways , it's time fre me bed so I'll syah goodnight te yee pet

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Jogon wrote: GeordexDon't remember that one, will have a look.Ah knaa yee think of weh as southerners doon heor , but there's a welcome fre yee if yee are ever in these parts. A pint of Sam Smiths an a haman peaspuddin sarnie, or wor lass's Corned Beef Pie. Anyways , it's time fre me bed so I'll syah goodnight te yee pet G'neet, marrer. Aye. Softie southerners you Leeds lot. :innocentlook:

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

2 has same MO as murder '1' . From brief mention I think the young man at the nursery bottom right kirkgate arrived very early and was murdered.This story does rin g a far and distant bell in my mindbut I can't offer much more infoLeodis(as usual)may jog some memories as to th sceneKirkgate, Junction with Wharf Street and Railway Bridge (City Centre) (1 comment)Black & White image    16th September 1936 Kirkgate Junction with Wharf Street. On corner is L. Vaux wholesaler at number 77. The railway bridge is overhead, then at 82 is E. Jackson and Co scalemakers. George Woodhead and son, seed manufacturers is at number 83. Next is the entrance to Pine Court.[internal reference; 2002319_21424502:C LIC Kirk (34)]
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

dogsdhttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 1424502Yes that's the place, if you're on Harper St (back to markets) you're facing in.Now http://www.fac4.co.uk/page3.htmcurrent image at bottom o the page