Jimmy Savile

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chemimike

Post by chemimike »

But the title of a thread should refer to the whole thread, not just the first post. If someone suggested cutting out the first few posts because they were based on inaccurate information, then that would be wrong, as the early posts gave people's opinion at the time, and this is relevant. The old title did not cover the opinions , and facts , that later emerged, and so, to me, just "Jimmy Savile" is more suitable

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

edlong wrote: Well, looks like I'm too late to the party as the change has happened, but for the record, I don't think the title should have been changed.Part of the Jimmy Savile story is what he did. Another important part, maybe not as important, but definitely important, is how he got away with it, and how he was mourned, right up to the unveiling of that extravagant monument on his grave not long before the true facts emerged, and then what happened next.This thread is part of this historical record. You can see the story unravel in the pages of it - go back to page 1 and read the sentiments. The there's the middle bit, starting with denial, scepticism that the media were going to "do one" on a much loved celeb who was no longer around to defend himself. Then the revulsion as everyone realised what the truth was, and how horrible.Of all the sites I've seen where comments have been made about Savile, at any point of the story, this is the one where I would have thought people would appreciate the value of not going back and changing the historical record, a primary source for future historians looking at how the people of the city JS made his home reacted to his death and the aftermath. It is misleading. This thread was started as an "RIP" thread for JS, and something has been lost with this revisionism.I appreciate why the change has happened, and that the sentiment of "RIP" is no longer felt, but when it was posted, it was genuine, and something has been lost by retrospectively removing it. I can see where you are coming from on this however the change of the title has not meant that the content itself has been revised.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

cnosni wrote: Dalehelms wrote: Hi cnosni. By coincidence, I too thought that Jimmy Savile would be a more appropriate title. It will be interesting to see if other members have views on the subject and what their posts might be. Yeah, we will give it tonight to see what people think, if no reasoned alternative is brought forward,a nd others agree ten we can change it.Its a subject that needs to be "aired" but i cant see how anyone can now even defend him even if there is a suspiscion that some of the claimants may be bogus. Some people might be on their 'olliders yer know, including the thread starter! I'm not sure I'd have wanted it changed - not because of my own opinion on JS, but because this sort of thing does make a valuable record of what was thought at the time it was written. However, I am aware that it could be viewed that the forum itself approves the sentiment expressed in the former title, and quite clearly not everyone does. So I'm all for democracy in that respect.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Regarding this revision, the change is documented in the thread and therefore the history can be followed if someone wants to do so in the future. I don't think the old title was appropriate any more to be honest. Also it's not like everyone else hasn't scrubbed him from history wherever possible - and at least it didn't cost £50K to change the name of this thread: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-20123713
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

cplmarr

Re: Jimmy Savile

Post by cplmarr »

One of Savile's friends was James (Jim the Pill) Cardus - a former pharmacist and property owner in Leeds. Cardus appears in the When Louis Met Jimmy documentary. He was my landlord when I was a student in Leeds in the mid to late 80s. He was a bit flash - white suit, sports car and 'car phone'. Is he still alive? Was he investigated? I'm not suggesting he was a nonce btw.

cplmarr

Post by cplmarr »

Whatever happened to Savile's pal Jim the Pill Cardus?
He was my landlord in the late 80s.
Still alive?
Juggling sand in the sun and making coin.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

cplmarr wrote:Whatever happened to Savile's pal Jim the Pill Cardus?
He was my landlord in the late 80s.
Still alive?
Google suggests the Guardian interviewed him about JS in 2014. I'd be pretty certain all of Saville's close associates would have been investigated as part of operation Yew Tree as to whether they were complicit with or involved in any of Saville's activities
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/