Victoria Quarter up for sale.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Re: Victoria Quarter up for sale.

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack i am with you all the way about the Eastgate buildings i for one do not like a lot of the things they have done in the city center i must admit it has cleaned up a hell of an eyesore.Regards Sid,
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi Jack i am with you all the way about the Eastgate buildings i for one do not like a lot of the things they have done in the city center i must admit it has cleaned up a hell of an eyesore.Regards Sid,

That uneven carpark above the old Millgarth you mentioned earlier reminds me that after my National Service a took a summer job portering in the Market for a few month untill i got a "Proper Job". i used to have to pull a heavy wooden hand cart with iron wheels loaded with fruit and veg which in those days was always packed in wooden boxes / crates up and onto that area known as The Penfold and put the goods in traders vans. That really was donkey work but fortunately i was quite fit.
Regards Jack.

tilly

Post by tilly »

The Penfold that suggests there could have been an animal pound there going back in time i have never heard it called that.It could stem from when Leeds was a small settlement stray animals were kept in the Penfold until the owner collected them.I wonder if this is were it came from?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]The Penfold that suggests there could have been an animal pound there going back in time i have never heard it called that.It could stem from when Leeds was a small settlement stray animals were kept in the Penfold until the owner collected them.I wonder if this is were it came from.

This was 1958 when the Friut and Veg. Wholesale Business was at the bottom of the present day Market and the outside area had not changed much, the Penfold as it was known then, the same rough ground up to Harewood Street which was also used as a carpark although in those days motor cars were much fewer and anyway the Market buyers were usually gone by about Eight Oclock.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:The Penfold that suggests there could have been an animal pound there going back in time i have never heard it called that.It could stem from when Leeds was a small settlement stray animals were kept in the Penfold until the owner collected them.I wonder if this is were it came from?
Hi tilly and Jack :).

In a post of mine dated July 26 2010 that is (currently at least) on page 19 of a 'Street names' thread http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=322&start=180 I mention the use of pinfold as a word for a small enclosure for animals. As the spelling is so similar it would seem likely that pinfold and penfold could mean the same thing.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

1902 Fire Insurance map of Millgarth

:arrow:
Attachments
Millgarth 1902.JPG
Millgarth 1902.JPG (90.33 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi buffaloskinner i know that the true spelling is pinfold but has you say it could have changed over the years.If it is pinfold it goes back a long time the pinfold was on the edge of a settlement i think,if thats the case it would have looked a lot different than it does now meadow land, has in Meadow Lane wow we might have hit on something there.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi buffaloskinner i know that the true spelling is pinfold but has you say it could have changed over the years.If it is pinfold it goes back a long time the pinfold was on the edge of a settlement i think,if thats the case it would have looked a lot different than it does now meadow land, has in Meadow Lane wow we might have hit on something there.

As non of the market traders ever boastd of being Oxford or Cambridge educated "Penfold" could have jus been the way they pronounced it..

That's a great map by the way.
I first got aquainted with that area in the mid to late 1940s from what i can recall on Harewood St. the main two buildings were the Market Tavern (Madmans) and Harewood Cafe, from there below was pretty desolate down to the Union St. Baths where i spent each dreaded Tuesday afternoon from School plus original Mill garth Police Station and on George St. there were shopsdown on both sides. The Barrow Boys also pitched down both sides each Thurs. Friday and Saturday.

I guess there would have been a few odd buildings still around but there certainly were not many.
Happy Days.