Liven things up

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
simonm

Post by simonm »

Railway bridge over a very busy road! (is that too easy you think)I won't be able to get the photo's on for about a week, at work today and going away for a week tom. I'll take a photo of the wall and how it fits in to the tunnel and surrounding scheme. The other photo is the one that, hopefully, will keep you guessing. lol..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No worries.. I can't think what you mean tho.. Is anybody any good at converting miles & chains? I work out it's 66' to a chain..Is that u.k standard? I'll post a 'Please help' in the general comments methinks
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

Hi, Im assuming this is Armleywhite from MOT...............Dunno any good plasterers do ya ;-) Nice work with all the pics!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: Yeah i did see the comment Armley.. I'm not so sure which wall you mean tho... I'll look at your pic when you post it.. Why don't you give a clue away for the MR sign?? Hi Phil. I said I'd get a photo of the wall on here. Have only just managed to get a few days off so went out and snapped it..This wall is going out of Leeds, towards the motorways and on the right hand side, just before you go under the railway bridge on the GyratoryI remember as a kid seeing the walled up entrance to the station. There was also another line / bridge going over that bit, but that went when the road was closed and the gyratory built! You'd never notice it now, but the old bridge support can plainly be seen behind the gas tank
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

gbdlufc wrote: Hi, Im assuming this is Armleywhite from MOT...............Dunno any good plasterers do ya ;-) Nice work with all the pics! Hi, never saw this post, sorry, wasn't ignoring you. Yes it is the very same. as to plasterers, sorry can't help you And you are??

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

Hey up Armley Im just a guy who misses my home town and I just started watching MOT and Secret and recoognised ya name . . . . . . I live in Lincs now so there you go just miss my Leeds:-(, been here bloody 15 years , Harehills lad born and bred...but always LEEDS :-)

simonm

Post by simonm »

Cracking site this is. I still live in Leeds but some of thisng I've read have really opened my eyes to the city I live in. As to MOT, there are several posters on here as well. Join in over there, it's a laugh!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simonm wrote: Phill_d wrote: Yeah i did see the comment Armley.. I'm not so sure which wall you mean tho... I'll look at your pic when you post it.. Why don't you give a clue away for the MR sign?? Hi Phil. I said I'd get a photo of the wall on here. Have only just managed to get a few days off so went out and snapped it..This wall is going out of Leeds, towards the motorways and on the right hand side, just before you go under the railway bridge on the GyratoryI remember as a kid seeing the walled up entrance to the station. There was also another line / bridge going over that bit, but that went when the road was closed and the gyratory built! You'd never notice it now, but the old bridge support can plainly be seen behind the gas tank Cheers Simonm.. I guessed this was what you meant.. I've seen plenty of old Holbeck high level pics before but not from this angle. I guessed there would have been an entrance from Gelderd road as well. I keep wondering why the earth has been banked up like this in the area. The whole station was on arches.. Rik & myself think it's possible that a lot of the viaduct has just been buried rather than Demolished under there.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Back in the late 70's, about 78 /9 the tunnel was most deffinately there. The station platform still had the railings and steps down. Even though it was backfilled there was still gep enough for me and him to egt through. The walk was was a fair way but eventually we came to the wall.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yeah it's a pity.. I know of one station that may have all the entrance stairs e.t.c hid away still. I'm working on it :-)