Get Leeds on board with Monopoly

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Show your passion for Leeds and see it on the Monopoly board!For over 70 years the official Monopoly board has represented the most valuable locations in London but for the first time ever, makers Parker will decide on the locations not by the cost of the property or its notoriety but on the passion of its people.The winning locations will be featured on a new Monopoly Here and Now UK Edition board to be released in October. Monopoly lovers will have the chance to get their town or village on the board, simply by voting online and encouraging friends and neighbours to do the same.Joanna Austin from Parker comments: “It’s very exciting to see which location will have the most passionate population. The people of the UK are massively patriotic and will certainly get behind their cities, towns and villages. It will be interesting to see how the big cities fare against the smaller villages.”Monopoly was originally distributed in the UK in the 30’s by Leeds based company Waddingtons. The son of the Managing director was given a chance to try out the new game. He was so impressed by it he convinced his father to call the distributors in the United States immediately to obtain a license to produce it. Once they acquired this they set about tweaking the game to ensure it was a success in the UK. They did this by touring London to find more familiar locations to replace the American ones. It was this version of Monopoly that became popular throughout the world, especially in the commonwealth.As Monopoly already has a historical link with Leeds it seems only fitting that we should get voting and make sure Leeds is included in the new version.With only nine days left until voting ends Cambridge is at the top of the leader board and is set to become the ‘new Mayfair’. Currently Leeds ranks down in 21st place which means it will become Whitechapel, but this could easily change if we all get voting.You have the power to give Leeds its rightful place at the top of the Monopoly board simply by voting at www.monopoly.co.uk/vote.aspx.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

MrsG

Post by MrsG »

just been on the evening post website and saw this:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 3371.jpand just wondered what the SL people would suggest!?!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I think many will agree with me (considering the underwhelming response to DSCO's original post) when I say I really can't be bothered.The makers of Monopoly can call whatever street whatever they want as far as I'm concerned - couldn't give a Monkey's!!!Its all just an attempt to sell more copies (hence Simpsons/ Doctor Who/ Shrek 3/ etc etc versions) - why can't we just stick with the original?? "Joanna Austin from Parker comments: “It’s very exciting to see which location will have the most passionate population. . ." No, Joanna, it isn't, it really isn't.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

No, I can't really see the point either.My great uncle Albert worked at Waddington's. I wonder what he would think?    

Si

Post by Si »

MrsG wrote: just been on the evening post website and saw this:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 3371.jpand just wondered what the SL people would suggest!?! So there'll be a UK board depicting British cities, and a Leeds board depicting Leeds landmarks?(Surely, there's only one Monopoly?!!!)    

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I wonder if the companies 'invited' to appear on the board have to pay a hefty sponsorship deal to have there names appear on there . I reckon so
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I've got a Yorkshire version but it is still in the loft in it's celophane.We'd always planned to get it out with friends one day but after a nice dinner and wine who can really be arsed doing that sort of thing these days.I think playing board games (apart from with the kids and Monopoly is not really a kids game) went out in the 70's with swinging and Robin Asquith films.    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

MrsG

Post by MrsG »

sorry guys - just thought it would be interesting to know your thoughts - wasn't asking anyone to register their opinion officially!! i've only lived in leeds a few years and have learned so much from this site - it's truly fascinating and i spend hours reading the threads and i find the opinions of everyone here just as interesting!!!!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Reginal Perrin wrote: I've got a Yorkshire version but it is still in the loft in it's celophane.We'd always planned to get it out with friends one day but after a nice dinner and wine who can really be arsed doing that sort of thing these days.I think playing board games (apart from with the kids and Monopoly is not really a kids game) went out in the 70's with swinging and Robin Asquith films.     And fondue sets,not that ive ever eaten the bloody stuff!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

MrsG wrote: sorry guys - just thought it would be interesting to know your thoughts - wasn't asking anyone to register their opinion officially!! i've only lived in leeds a few years and have learned so much from this site - it's truly fascinating and i spend hours reading the threads and i find the opinions of everyone here just as interesting!!!! Welcome MrsG,yes there are some colourful opinions and characters on this site.The best bit is that there are no bullies are foul language,maybe the occasional disagreement(ahem) but nowt to get carried away about.Oh and welcome to Leeds by the way,weve lots to shout about but we keep it to ourselves,best way some times.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com