Get Leeds on board with Monopoly

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Used to love the game, erm, yes.... years ago! Aside from other reasons it seems rather diluted now with a 'version' for just about every where and everything.I see nobody wants to associate themselves with the Brown cards Old kent Road and the rest - wonder if they would donate them to the Skulls yard?Mind, I can think of a few other places I'd rank as Brown cards though I think dsco would (professionaly) be non too pleased with my suggestions!

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

The Leeds board story was featured on Calendar tonight (well, Friday) Must admit, the skulls came to mind!

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

cnosni wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: I've got a Yorkshire version but it is still in the loft in it's celophane.We'd always planned to get it out with friends one day but after a nice dinner and wine who can really be arsed doing that sort of thing these days.I think playing board games (apart from with the kids and Monopoly is not really a kids game) went out in the 70's with swinging and Robin Asquith films.     And fondue sets,not that ive ever eaten the bloody stuff! My mum's cousin worked at Waddingtons and in the 60's brought me and my sister a "new" board game before it came on the market it was Cluedo, I remember playing it and not having the faintest idea how my sister knew it was colonel mustard in the library with the lead pipe! I just didn't "get it"! Still don't , maybe she was cheating like she did at Monopoly. That game caused more arguments in our house than I don't know what!

Si

Post by Si »

I've got an old "utility" version of Monopoly printed during the war. To save on vital wartime resources, the top-hat, car, boot etc aren't cast in metal, but are printed on cardboard and set in little wooden blocks so they stand up. In the centre of the board is a cartoon of a man with an outsize head waving a wad of cash.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

My grandparents have one of those also. the houses are wooden and the counters are not even representative of the top hat. They look like pawns from a chess board. The dice is a piece of cardboard with a disc. You spin the disc to determine the number of spaces to move.

Si

Post by Si »

That's it, Lee. I forgot the houses and hotels are wooden. The playing pieces on mine are definately little pictures of the top hat, boot etc, though.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I've got a 1930's Monopoly set, manufactured before the game was was patented. The colour for Old Kent Road on the original set was purple. Maybe someone needs to tell Leeds business folk that there is no genuine justification to be prejudiced against brown!!My 1950's set, which has the Patent mark, has a brown Old Kent Road.I think the colour changed for the sets made during the war, but I might be wrong. Does anyone know? (.......or care?)I'm glad to know that other folk have old sets. Maybe we need a S.L. Monopoly Club!!

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

My parents had the wooden/cardboard version also. I assume it is still around.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: I've got an old "utility" version of Monopoly printed during the war. To save on vital wartime resources, the top-hat, car, boot etc aren't cast in metal, but are printed on cardboard and set in little wooden blocks so they stand up. In the centre of the board is a cartoon of a man with an outsize head waving a wad of cash. Si i think you better keep a hold of that mate
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: I've got an old "utility" version of Monopoly printed during the war. To save on vital wartime resources, the top-hat, car, boot etc aren't cast in metal, but are printed on cardboard and set in little wooden blocks so they stand up. In the centre of the board is a cartoon of a man with an outsize head waving a wad of cash. Si i think you better keep a hold of that mate I don't think it'll be worth much, Chris. It's very dog-eared and the box is held together with ancient yellowed sellotape. I also drew all over the board when I was about 3 or 4! Smacked bum!