School cutlery

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: I wonder if the LCB could stand for Leeds County Borough, which was the name for Leeds until 1974 (though I think it was more correctly the County Borough of Leeds) when it became the City and Metropolitan Borough of Leeds. Sounds a better option to me Leodian, 'Board' sounds a little heavy for something like a catering arm of the council.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Leeks, Cabbage and Beans.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

"Leeds County Borough" is goog enough for me! Thank you for that. It is one of those little things that has niggled me for 45 years plus.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Chrism wrote: Leeks, Cabbage and Beans. ....and please open the window!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

volvojack

Re: School cutlery

Post by volvojack »

Just having a laugh at these funny replies from years back.
No idea as to stamp but during the 1940s our school dinners were delivered to school on the back of a lorry in stainless steel trays.
They were cooked elsewhere and delivered on a rota system where we could be one of four schools waiting for delivery. one week hot, next cold etc.
Mount St. Mary's dining room cutlery...... L. lukewarm...C. cold......D. diabolical.
And the Nun Patrol stood over you forcing you to eat this swill

Cottingleylad

Post by Cottingleylad »

Leeds Catering Board?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I had school dinners at 2 Leeds schools in my time. I remember not only the LCB stamped cutlery but also the drinking glasses were made by Duralex in France.This was stamped on the base. It turns out that the glass tumblers were a classic unbreakable design from the 1930's.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!