'Food For Thought'

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Yes, I know the subject matter isn't in Leeds, but there were branches there, & not too long ago (or so it seems)http://travel.webshots.com/photo/283845 ... lvNsUYWhen was the last time you saw a fully functioning 'Wimpy' restaurant??Everything seems to be McDonalds/Burger King everywhere.I had always believed that 'B-K' took the Wimpy operation over & renamed it??, & so it seems from the 'Wikipedia' link, they to all intents & purposes did http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimpy_Bar (2nd paragraph in 'History')There's one left in Wakefield, it's the catering part of the 'SuperBowl', which in itself has an interesting history, as it was the (famous) 'Wakefield Theatre Club' (best known in the 1960's/1970's for its big star acts)And, for the fans of 'odd shaped balls', the 'SuperBowl' backs onto the buildings/grounds/field of Wakefield Trinity (Doncaster Road)On looking it surprised me just how many are left (or re-opened/'re-invented') around the countryhttp://www.wimpy.uk.com/There's 2 in West Yorkshire (Wakefield & Huddersfield), 1 in South Yorkshire (Doncaster)

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I well remember the Wimpy in New Station Street in the 1950s - I always particularly liked the "Bendie" with the circular sausage chopped half through in several places. Nowadays though I can't stand any of the stuff from McDonalds, Burger King, KFC etc. - I think its those white soggy "marshmallow" untoasted buns that put me off. You can go in "The Picture House" now and look across Merrion Street to McDonalds while enjoying a succulent and plentiful carvery for £3.69 !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

If I recall correctly there used to be a Wimpy on King Edward Street and another near by on Vicar Lane. There was also one on Briggate near or at where McDonalds currently is. It must be many years back now since those Wimpy's closed. I've not been to the "Picture House" but the food looks good looking in as I pass by and the place seems popular. Mmmmm I feel hungry!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

From Google Earth. This is our local Wimpy, just outside Rugeley. It's nothing more than a bit of a shed with indoor seating for about 8 IIRC and outdoor about 16. If seated indoors in the winter it's freezing as there's no door on the seating area.
Attachments
__TFMF_psrc2a55exr5zs55nrw1gf45_df5f2305-001f-47a3-9430-46d8a82c298b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_psrc2a55exr5zs55nrw1gf45_df5f2305-001f-47a3-9430-46d8a82c298b_0_main.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 3625 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Keg

Post by Keg »

There is also a Wimpy on the A! just outside Newcastle if i remember correctly. It's part of a service station spread- Plastic tom sauce dispensers!.
Keg

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Leodian wrote: If I recall correctly there used to be a Wimpy on King Edward Street and another near by on Vicar Lane. There was also one on Briggate near or at where McDonalds currently is. It must be many years back now since those Wimpy's closed. I've not been to the "Picture House" but the food looks good looking in as I pass by and the place seems popular. Mmmmm I feel hungry! I remember the Vicar Lane one,did it close after a fire ?King Edward St I can't remeber,there was a small one-downstairs only I think on the Headrow oppsite the Odeon.The one in New Station st was 'through'you could enter/leavevia the next street.I remember one time trying to get the tom sauce out of that plastictomato thing,had to sqeeze and sqeeze and then it was tom sauceeverywhere.The Crossgate Centre one upstairs has only recently closed,probablybecause it was upstairs with no disabled access.Never a burger fan but the Wimpy was always better quality.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

As Dogduke says, the Crossgates one has now closed and I'm struggling to think of any others in the area.According to the clunky Wimpy website, there are only two branches left in West Yorkshire, at Huddersfield and Wakefield.Of course, the Burger King at Killingbeck originally opened as a Wimpy, but it didn't last long under that banner.Truth to be told, it's no great loss to the regions gastronomic diversity is it? I much preferred Wendys before they closed down.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: As Dogduke says, the Crossgates one has now closed and I'm struggling to think of any others in the area.According to the clunky Wimpy website, there are only two branches left in West Yorkshire, at Huddersfield and Wakefield.Of course, the Burger King at Killingbeck originally opened as a Wimpy, but it didn't last long under that banner.Truth to be told, it's no great loss to the regions gastronomic diversity is it? I much preferred Wendys before they closed down. In the post of mine earlier I said I thought there used to be a Wimpy at or near where McDonalds is on Briggate. I now think I am wrong, as seeing the name Wendy's made me recall that what I thought was a Wimpy was in fact a Wendy, unless there was a Wimpy at one time where the Wendy was on Briggate. I hope that makes sense!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: raveydavey wrote: As Dogduke says, the Crossgates one has now closed and I'm struggling to think of any others in the area.According to the clunky Wimpy website, there are only two branches left in West Yorkshire, at Huddersfield and Wakefield.Of course, the Burger King at Killingbeck originally opened as a Wimpy, but it didn't last long under that banner.Truth to be told, it's no great loss to the regions gastronomic diversity is it? I much preferred Wendys before they closed down. In the post of mine earlier I said I thought there used to be a Wimpy at or near where McDonalds is on Briggate. I now think I am wrong, as seeing the name Wendy's made me recall that what I thought was a Wimpy was in fact a Wendy, unless there was a Wimpy at one time where the Wendy was on Briggate. I hope that makes sense! It does! The McD's at the top of Briggate (Headrow end) was a Wendys, before they closed down and the Golden Arches took over.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

franco

Post by franco »

Was the one at the top of Briggate a "Ranchburger" for a while? I vaguely recall the saloon style swinging doors. Then again i could be completely wrong.