'Food For Thought'

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

zip55 wrote: My memory isn't 100% but I'll swear there was a Wimpy on Boar Lane right where Caffe Nero is now. Wasn't that The Golden Egg zip55 ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Thanks Blakey, you're absolutely correct. You can see it in the background on this shot.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 223_168126

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

zip55 wrote: And talking of food, does anyone remember the Magic Box on Albion St? I do it scarcely deserved the accolade of being described as a food suppliers.A shop unit full of shiny vending machines selling such exotica as hot dinners including Yorkshire puddins and apple pie and custard kept hot 'till 3, 4 or 5 am.What more can one say ?
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

leedsGreatestSon

Post by leedsGreatestSon »

Speaking of there being a Wendy's at the top of Briggate, does anyone remember next door (I think) being a Rover museum. Or am I just making that up??

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

leedsGreatestSon wrote: Speaking of there being a Wendy's at the top of Briggate, does anyone remember next door (I think) being a Rover museum. Or am I just making that up?? I remember that. It was at (or about at) the site where Borders was (I think that site is currently a temporary cheap goods shop). I recall that it had a roundabout like passageway that you walked round while seeing what was on display.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: leedsGreatestSon wrote: Speaking of there being a Wendy's at the top of Briggate, does anyone remember next door (I think) being a Rover museum. Or am I just making that up?? I remember that. It was at (or about at) the site where Borders was (I think that site is currently a temporary cheap goods shop). I recall that it had a roundabout like passageway that you walked round while seeing what was on display. I'd completely forgotten that until you mentioned it! Some sort of quasi-historical exhibition which actually formed part of a sales pitch for a new model, I think.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

I am sure back in the mid-sixties there was a Wimpy Bar in the Merrion Centre. It was near the entrance to the Merrion Market on the right hand side as you walked from the Odeon up towards Merrion Way.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

salt 'n pepper wrote: I am sure back in the mid-sixties there was a Wimpy Bar in the Merrion Centre. It was near the entrance to the Merrion Market on the right hand side as you walked from the Odeon up towards Merrion Way. This is the only Wimpy in the Merrion on Leodis.Is this it?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="uncle mickThis is the only Wimpy in the Merrion on Leodis.Is this it?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL    Gosh this picture brings back memories - at that time all inbound buses from Otley Road had to go through the Merrion Centre road (as was then) and round the 90 degree bend visible in the picture, then down the steep slope which is now a covered pedestrian ramp to rejoin Woodhouse Lane. During the morning peak period we had the very devil of a job to get past the bread vans (with back doors up or open) which parked there to make their deliveries on foot within the Centre.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

uncle mick wrote: salt 'n pepper wrote: I am sure back in the mid-sixties there was a Wimpy Bar in the Merrion Centre. It was near the entrance to the Merrion Market on the right hand side as you walked from the Odeon up towards Merrion Way. This is the only Wimpy in the Merrion on Leodis.Is this it?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL     This is it, as don't forget (as Blakey also mentions) this section is now covered up and the Wimpy is just before where you would now make a right to get to the car park lifts. You can also see in the background the engravers on Cobourg Street (now Merrion Street) that would later become Yorkshire Bank HQ.