'Food For Thought'

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

franco wrote: Was the one at the top of Briggate a "Ranchburger" for a while? I vaguely recall the saloon style swinging doors. Then again i could be completely wrong.     I think (but could be wrong) that Ranchburger was at the junction of Albion Street and the Headrow - diagonally opposite where the Leeds and Holbeck HQ is. Only went in there once, for obvious reasons.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

raveydavey wrote: franco wrote: Was the one at the top of Briggate a "Ranchburger" for a while? I vaguely recall the saloon style swinging doors. Then again i could be completely wrong.     I think (but could be wrong) that Ranchburger was at the junction of Albion Street and the Headrow - diagonally opposite where the Leeds and Holbeck HQ is. Only went in there once, for obvious reasons. This one ?http://www.flickr.com/photos/27677450@N05/3170778578
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

My memory isn't 100% but I'll swear there was a Wimpy on Boar Lane right where Caffe Nero is now.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

And talking of food, does anyone remember the Magic Box on Albion St?

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I remember the Wimpy on Briggate, which then became Burger King before it moved round the corner for the Trinity development. When Briggate was open for traffic it was also where the bus stops where before they moved to Vicar Lane.Also from what I remember on Briggate, Starbucks was a sports shop, what was Borders used to be Virgin before they moved to the Bond Street Centre/Leeds Shopping Plaza, and roughly opposite was Zodiac Toys with a restaurant in the basement (much better than my local Zodiac in Halifax). Looks like Zodiac went bust in 1990 so that was a fair while ago and I'd have been at most 12. Before the Victoria Quarter came along most of the arcades on the Vicar Lane were pretty grim and I remember County Arcade in particular was best avoided.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

I remember the Wimpy in King Edward Street, I used to go Saturday Lunchtimes in the 70's with my mother-in-law and there was a waitress there that if you put your knife and fork downjust maybe to say something she would come and clear your plate away. We have here in Tzaneen where I live a very large Wimpy restaurant which has just been refurbished and is busy from opening at eight till closing at six.
Ex Leeds Lass

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

dogduke wrote: raveydavey wrote: franco wrote: Was the one at the top of Briggate a "Ranchburger" for a while? I vaguely recall the saloon style swinging doors. Then again i could be completely wrong.     I think (but could be wrong) that Ranchburger was at the junction of Albion Street and the Headrow - diagonally opposite where the Leeds and Holbeck HQ is. Only went in there once, for obvious reasons. This one ?http://snipurl.com/1w0bsc Aye, that's the one - not very good at all, from memory (Hope you don't mind, I snipped the link to make it clickable)
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: dogduke wrote: raveydavey wrote: franco wrote: Was the one at the top of Briggate a "Ranchburger" for a while? I vaguely recall the saloon style swinging doors. Then again i could be completely wrong.     I think (but could be wrong) that Ranchburger was at the junction of Albion Street and the Headrow - diagonally opposite where the Leeds and Holbeck HQ is. Only went in there once, for obvious reasons. This one ?http://snipurl.com/1w0bsc Aye, that's the one - not very good at all, from memory (Hope you don't mind, I snipped the link to make it clickable) The photo brought up through the link seems to show where an Halifax Bank currently is. I notice though that the photo is stated to have been taken on April 24, 2008. If I am right about the site then the date must be wrong as the bank has been there many years. I notice many photos I see in image sharing websites like Flickr have the date given for when a photo was taken that is clearly wrong. I'm not a member of any such websites so I cannot post messages to them querying the date.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I think it's the date the image was "created" - so if this was an old photo which was then scanned onto a PC and subsequently uploaded, flickr will think that it's the date the image was created (scanned), rather than the actual date the pic was taken.I hope that makes sense!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: I think it's the date the image was "created" - so if this was an old photo which was then scanned onto a PC and subsequently uploaded, flickr will think that it's the date the image was created (scanned), rather than the actual date the pic was taken.I hope that makes sense! It does. The wrong dates with photos in such as image sharing websites do cause confusion and I'm surprised that the people who have posted a photo that has the wrong date taken do not correct the date (unless they cannot edit such things).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.