'Food For Thought'

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

uncle mick wrote: salt 'n pepper wrote: I am sure back in the mid-sixties there was a Wimpy Bar in the Merrion Centre. It was near the entrance to the Merrion Market on the right hand side as you walked from the Odeon up towards Merrion Way. This is the only Wimpy in the Merrion on Leodis.Is this it?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL     That's the one Uncle Mick. Thanks.I had forgotten that the parade of shops was open to the elements in those days. The entrance to the lifts up to the car park floors is what I thought also provided one of the entries to the market area.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That is a fascinating picture. I am though having great problems relating it to the Merrion Centre as it now is. It is the apparent drop on the left that is causing me the most confusion.I just hope my recollection of places is never going to need relying on as I will be useless!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: That is a fascinating picture. I am though having great problems relating it to the Merrion Centre as it now is. It is the apparent drop on the left that is causing me the most confusion. No problem there Leodian - the apparent drop on the left now holds Morrison's basement car park and the store is level with the road that you see - the straight part of the road is now roughly the central pedestrian aisle of the Centre leading out to Merrion Way.Hope this helps.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote: Leodian wrote: That is a fascinating picture. I am though having great problems relating it to the Merrion Centre as it now is. It is the apparent drop on the left that is causing me the most confusion. No problem there Leodian - the apparent drop on the left now holds Morrison's basement car park and the store is level with the road that you see - the straight part of the road is now roughly the central pedestrian aisle of the Centre leading out to Merrion Way.Hope this helps. Cheers Blakey. It is amazing how easily it is to forget how a building once looked. Good job there are pictures available in such as in SL and Leodis.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Don't know if you can see this very well, but I have put an arrow pointing to the service road as from Merrion Way, and also an X in red where I think the photographer was standing when he took the picture. Hope this helps..(Photo thanks to Leodis!)
Attachments
__TFMF_ci3vgr454quq22yv4n121055_99d911fb-10f9-4880-9eb9-31cc3a15b778_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ci3vgr454quq22yv4n121055_99d911fb-10f9-4880-9eb9-31cc3a15b778_0_main.jpg (91.35 KiB) Viewed 4013 times

Mick McCann

Post by Mick McCann »

raveydavey wrote: As Dogduke says, the Crossgates one has now closed and I'm struggling to think of any others in the area.Truth to be told, it's no great loss to the regions gastronomic diversity is it? I much preferred Wendys before they closed down. Quite sad that the Croggie one has gone. I spent many a happy hour in there as a youth, checking out the other youths walking below.Someone told me that they were in their just before it closed and the food was awful.There's rumours that a local cafe (with much better scran) are going to take it over, which would be good.

alanlad

Post by alanlad »

One of the Arndale Crossgates staff told me that the Wipey had closed about October last year. Re the Ranchburger. I remember going in with my son who is now forty three years old. He'd have been about nine or ten at the time so it was Ranchburger in about 1976/7.    
Don't count the days; make the days count!

dogduke

Re: 'Food For Thought'

Post by dogduke »

A very old thread, the last Wimpy in West Yorkshire
has closed suddenly in Huddersfield.
Huddersfield Examiner article.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Re: 'Food For Thought'

Post by dogduke »

A very old thread, the last Wimpy in West Yorkshire
has closed suddenly in Huddersfield.
Huddersfield Examiner article.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.