Leeds Sweet Manufacturers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

As a kid I used to work at Harlow's Mintoes (Yes child labour was still going strong in those days) on the Whitehall Road near the Dragon Bridge (great as a kid- all the sweets you could eat!). This set me thinking about other sweet makers in Leeds.Came across one I've never heard of before called Henry Thorne & Co. Limited of Leeds, England. Products includedThorne's Extra Super Creme Toffee, Circa 1930sAny others?    
Attachments
__TFMF_au0w1q55sboks245wc4odt45_05f6b014-1302-442f-b03b-7f85659c08e3_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_au0w1q55sboks245wc4odt45_05f6b014-1302-442f-b03b-7f85659c08e3_0_main.jpg (118.11 KiB) Viewed 5493 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

That tin is great, I have one just like it. Weren't Thorns based behind Vicar Lane between Edward Street Templar Street and Lady Lane?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

The Thorne factory was an enormous building which occupied much of Edward Street behind the West Yorkshire Bus Station, and appears in part on many transport photos of that era - there was always a delicious and tempting aroma in the area !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

My dad worked for West Yorkshire Road Car Co for 35 years, he was a detailer on the bus station, he would obtain toffees from Thornes, I think they had a shop for their workers and he would come home with bags full, happy days

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I remember the nouget factory in Hudson Road, Harehills but I can't remember the manufacturer's name.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Came across this some time ago whenresearching something else.Bertie Runtons Easy Roadhttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... ifier=7173
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Wasn't Waterhouses sweets on Elland Road? I can remember them making Invalid Toffee don't know why that name but it was something I have never tasted since.
Ex Leeds Lass

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

My nan (great grandma), sadly no longer with us, worked at a sweet manufacturers - I think it may well have been Waterhouses, but I couldn't be sure.I remember her telling us (her great grand kids) that she was told she could help herself to as many sweets as she liked whilst she was working, which as it turned out was a cunning plan on behalf of her employers. By the end of the first day she'd sampled so many that she was sick of the sight of the sweets and barely touched another one the rest of the time she worked there.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

My mother had a similar story to that, often i've wondered if it's why she generally couldn;t stand sweet things, not even sugar in her coffee.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.