Leeds Sweet Manufacturers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: Just wondering how we managed to get two pages of postson here because of the tin of toffees as the original only hasthree replies on it laugh. The person who started it wanted to findher families sweet factory and has never been back since??? Because Secret Leeds is wonderful like that!

BJF

Post by BJF »

There are still two liquorice factories in PonteHaribo which was originally Dunhills and Tangerine which was originally Wilkinsons then Trebor Bassett Barrets etc

book

Post by book »

There was Grekos in WoodHouse that made Ice cream cones. I think that's what they called it.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

book wrote: There was Grekos in WoodHouse that made Ice cream cones. I think that's what they called it. Greco Brothers still operate - only now they're in Middlesbrough.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

Johnny39 wrote: I remember the nouget factory in Hudson Road, Harehills but I can't remember the manufacturer's name. I lived in a house immediately behind it in the 1960's and 70's. It had closed by then - and was making something else. However, the sign was still up - 'K Nougat'. Older members of my family remember it when it was in production - and I vaguely remember the yard next to it - that had the Calomax factory built on it in 1964. Of course, we pronounce 'nougat' as 'nugget' in Leeds!    
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

York Road Lad wrote: Johnny39 wrote: I remember the nouget factory in Hudson Road, Harehills but I can't remember the manufacturer's name. I lived in a house immediately behind it in the 1960's and 70's. It had closed by then - and was making something else. However, the sign was still up - 'K Nougat'. Older members of my family remember it when it was in production - and I vaguely remember the yard next to it - that had the Calomax factory built on it in 1964. Of course, we pronounce 'nougat' as 'nugget' in Leeds!     I think the "K" stood for Kaye's. I remember it as been pink in colour and lethal to anyone with loose teeth.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

book

Post by book »

Wasn't the pink side soft and the white side the tooth remover
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

book wrote: Wasn't the pink side soft and the white side the tooth remover Ha Ha,it came with peanuts in too sometimes ! additional hazard.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !