Leeds Sweet Manufacturers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Omegaman

Post by Omegaman »

My Mother used to work at Harlows too. Apparently the floor in the factory was so sticky from all the spilt sugar, you had to keep moving about!!She used to bring mis-shaped sweets from the factory shop for me and my brother.Banana toffee swirls. YUK!.......Licorice toffee swirls. YUM!.....
If it aint broke.........Break it!

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Omegaman wrote: My Mother used to work at Harlows too. Apparently the floor in the factory was so sticky from all the spilt sugar, you had to keep moving about!!She used to bring mis-shaped sweets from the factory shop for me and my brother.Banana toffee swirls. YUK!.......Licorice toffee swirls. YUM!..... We used to (try) clean the floor with steam guns. I still remember the wonderful aroma when they were making boiled sweets. Unfortunately I still have a voracious appetite for sweets!

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

I recall there was a sweet factory on Tong road beside the Lyric cinema though I can't recall it's name

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

This made me think whatever happened to Rileys Toffee Rolls- they were/are my all time favourites
All knowledge is important

liits

Post by liits »

DOBBO wrote: This made me think whatever happened to Rileys Toffee Rolls- they were/are my all time favourites You may want to look at this [sorry about the longwinded link]http://www.deliciouslyorkshire.co.uk/dy ... sweet-shop

liits

Post by liits »

Two places I can recall were, one, on Manston Lane, Where Wharfdale Speakers is now, where they did some of the packaging for Mars. My mate’s mother worked there and, like Omegaman’s mother, always seemed to have a supply of misshaped Topic Bars. The second was somewhere around Cross Green Approach. On occasions, it was possible to smell toffee over the smell of burning green casting sand from Cattons.

Omegaman

Post by Omegaman »

liits wrote: Two places I can recall were, one, on Manston Lane, Where Wharfdale Speakers is now, where they did some of the packaging for Mars. My mate’s mother worked there and, like Omegaman’s mother, always seemed to have a supply of misshaped Topic Bars. The second was somewhere around Cross Green Approach. On occasions, it was possible to smell toffee over the smell of burning green casting sand from Cattons. What had a Hazelnut in every bite?
If it aint broke.........Break it!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Omegaman wrote: What had a Hazelnut in every bite? Everyone's a "fruit 'n' nut case"Sung in my best Frank Muir voice. Produced by a little outfit from the suburbs of Brum that recently sold out to the Yanks.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Omegaman wrote: liits wrote: Two places I can recall were, one, on Manston Lane, Where Wharfdale Speakers is now, where they did some of the packaging for Mars. My mate’s mother worked there and, like Omegaman’s mother, always seemed to have a supply of misshaped Topic Bars. The second was somewhere around Cross Green Approach. On occasions, it was possible to smell toffee over the smell of burning green casting sand from Cattons. What had a Hazelnut in every bite? Serious answer - 'Topic!'Joke answer at school 'Squirrel sh**!'Pardon my astericks - but its necessary for the joke!!!    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.