My first day at work.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

carith wrote: While doing my underground training I was on day release at Wakefield college on Fridays. We used to walk up to Newton hill to collect our wages. The 21st of March 1973 is well imprinted in my memory. There's a monument to those who died on the Batley - Wakefield Road, between Kirkhamgate and Alverthorpe.
Industria Omnia Vincit

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Here's a link to the disaster at Lofthouse Pit 37 years ago.Brought a distant dim memory back in the light.http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/sense_of_ ... tmlRegards Yorkie
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

First ever job age 14 way collecting glasses and washing them at the Old Bank.Somehow i don;t ever remeber the first night, but they were pretty samey. And my eyes would be watering by the end of the night from all the smoke, literally.And then there was the lockin
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

Jude

Post by Jude »

Lyndoch wrote: I started working life at Wilkinson and Warburton King St., in 1955 being paid 42/6for my troubles I was on the Ladies Coat Dept.. The General manager was a "Colonel" Dixon. and our buyer was Mrs. Connie Byrne.. You spoke when you were spoken to and not before.. I learned how to sweep endless wooden floors and operate a lift during the lunchtime periods.. I could go on .. anyone remember this.. opposite the Hotel Metropole.. My grandma was the chief buyer for Wilkinson and Warburton all her working life, I wonder if you remember her. Mrs Ethal Singleton. I have been trying to get information about her working life and can't find anything on the internet about Wilkinson and Warburton so would be grateful if you could help me.Thanks, Jude Singleton

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I had been working since I was 14, in a petrol station on Burley Road (The Thrust one that was next to the West Ward Libs later Stoggys). I'd get there from school and work til 9pm and alll day on weekends. I did this for 2 years till I joined the Navy.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

My father took me for an interview at Wetheralds decorators, Otley Rd. in the sign dept. I remember being secretly dissapointed, when I was told to start Monday, I wanted to enjoy my 6 week summer holiday! First wage £2-7s-9d, £2.00 to mum.
Touch not but the glove

volvojack

Re: My first day at work.

Post by volvojack »

When I left School they came round from Company's and offered jobs the week before we left. my first one at Hitchens Dept. store on Kirkgate Briggate (now Littlewoods) i walked after 3 hours. next one was Woodhouse Lane in a gent's outfitters, stayed four weeks. Then went to a Sports Outfitters in King Edward Street. There i was treated like a slave but as my Mother had come down on me like a ton of bricks i dare not leave. after a short stint at Elland Rd. greyhound track i found my Vallhalla, working in a tailoring factory in the packing dept, the only male teenager in a factory full of women. sadly National Service loomed all too soon.