Leeds celebrities

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Correct me if I'm wrong Loiner Pete but isnt that part of the Kop (where the tea bar is )the old 'boys pen' .(half-a crown to get in instead of 5 bob)I first went to Elland road in 1969 (1-1 draw v Newcastle).The kop was brand new at that time - but the quadrant of old kop at the North -east corner( the boys pen ) was still there and stayed for a couple of seasons. For a few games my dad and I stood in the scratching Shed - I think this had traditionally been the most popular for Leeds fans as it was the cheapest place you could stand and be under cover: away fans tended to end up on the old kop.(The same thing was true at Valley Parade and the old Leeds Rd at Huddersfield). This was in the days before segregation of course, but it soon became obvious to Leeds fans that the new Kop was the place to be and the shed became the 'away end' until it was demolished in 1974.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

Yes thats what is now called the north east corner, there was a huge standing terrace all the way from the old west stand, it went along where the kop is now then continued around to lowfields road and went all the way up close to the shed. In the late 1920`s a roof was put onto the lowfields side and then in the 1950`s seats were added at the back, forming the old lowfields road stand. I used to go in the old boys pen behind the goal at the geldard road end, we used to watch Sprakey filling the net up with chewing gum wrappers, he used to get a fresh supply of wrigleys from the mass of girls that he used to wave at. Sprakey was a gret keeper though, i wasnt putting him down like some do.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

Here is the ground in the 1949, a far cry from today
Attachments
__TFMF_olsy5l324ra2ozrchsfvc245_7ab398a4-9c26-4336-9281-980f11dc99b2_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_olsy5l324ra2ozrchsfvc245_7ab398a4-9c26-4336-9281-980f11dc99b2_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

and heres the aftermath of the FA cup match with sunderland in 1967 when we had our record crowd, the barriers over on the lowfields side gave way, could have been a disaster, i was in the west stand paddock watching the whole thing unfold.
Attachments
__TFMF_olsy5l324ra2ozrchsfvc245_207dc63c-801a-49fa-8bb7-0f10c3290351_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_olsy5l324ra2ozrchsfvc245_207dc63c-801a-49fa-8bb7-0f10c3290351_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

j.c.d.

Re: Leeds celebrities

Post by j.c.d. »

Error. Apology
Last edited by j.c.d. on Sun 10 Jan, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Having a nostalgic look back this match reminds me that I broke two toes coming out of the Lowfields road stand after a match a couple of weeks earlier and had plaster up to the knee and whilst having a drink in the South Leeds Con. club I met up with the, then, United Club secretary Keith Archer.
when I said I was going down to try and get a ticket for the Sunderland game he said "Leave it to me" a couple of pints later he had promised to meet me outside the players entrance. I was used to going in a seated area and at the appointed time I limped to meet him. he opened a door and we went under the main stand, he opened another door and pushed me through. I found my self in a standing area in front of the main stand, as this was an all ticket area it was packed and I spent the game swaying on virtually one leg. It could have been worse as par of the the wall collapsed over on the Lowfields road side.
As it was a draw I did have the satisfaction of seeing United progressing to the next round at Boothberry Park Hull.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

When I first went to Elland Road just after the War when Professional football . resumed ( we got 6d. ticket ) free if we played for the school team. my brother and I used to go in the Boys Pen which was behind the goal at the Geldard Road end. The Kop behind comprised of terracing about two thirds of the way up and then behind it was a steep slag heap. We first saw Big John Charles there, what a player. Happy Memories.

Peter.shaw

Post by Peter.shaw »

I remember living in hate hills and seeing chumbawumba coming out of a house.
I found out that 1 of the band lived there and gave me and a few other kids signed posters and tapes.

Also I remember seeing someone who used to be in coronation street in Beeston a lot. Can't for the life of me remember her name.

The most famous of them all (or infamous) was Jimmy Saville, he used to jog round roundhay park all the time and I spoke to him once when I was bunking of school (braimwood) . He seemed ok really.....who would have thought?.........well pretty much everyone in show business and at the bbc