Leeds United Nickname

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

this useful website shows all the Leeds United kits:http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leeds_U ... ed.htmonly possible ones for peacock and it is stretching a point would appear to be the 1930-40's strips but i doubt it.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

OK folks,well... see what you make of this.Back in the day....most of south and eastern Leeds was extensively mined or quarried for coal,fireclay,stone or other materials.It is well known and(IIRC) reported on here that Elland Rd. was no exception.The Leeds fireclay company being among others who exploited this mineral wealth locally.On the attached pdf.document from the nmrs.website,please refer to pages 30 & 76 which refer to a "Peacock" pit on or nearabouts Elland Rd around the back end of the 19th century to about 1915.LUFC was formed in 1919 after being Leeds City from 1904.......so it's not inconceivable there is some connection there ??? That said,it would beg the question why the colliery was named Peacock.lol.I've enclosed the full document as coal buffs may wish to peruse the many other interesting items contained therein.I can only ask you formulate your own opinion but i'm reasonably convinced there is a connection here.http://www.nmrs.org.uk/resources/NMRSMi ... al1854.pdf    
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

raveydavey wrote: From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_A.F.C.The club's most common nicknames are "The Whites" and "The Peacocks". The latter stems from the former name of the Elland Road, The Old Peacock Ground, which was in turn named after The Old Peacock pub opposite Elland Road's South Stand Hasn't this already answered this question?
The older I get, the better I was.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Bruno wrote: raveydavey wrote: From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_A.F.C.The club's most common nicknames are "The Whites" and "The Peacocks". The latter stems from the former name of the Elland Road, The Old Peacock Ground, which was in turn named after The Old Peacock pub opposite Elland Road's South Stand Hasn't this already answered this question? I only expounded this as a possibility.........which came first..........pub or colliery ?    
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

somme1916 wrote: Bruno wrote: raveydavey wrote: From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_A.F.C.The club's most common nicknames are "The Whites" and "The Peacocks". The latter stems from the former name of the Elland Road, The Old Peacock Ground, which was in turn named after The Old Peacock pub opposite Elland Road's South Stand Hasn't this already answered this question? I only expounded this as a possibility.........which came first..........pub or colliery ?     Pub.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

jan8

Post by jan8 »

We are the WhitesWe are the WhitesWe are we areWe are the WhitesorLEEDS - LEEDS- LEEDSDon't ever remember them being called just United though.
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

The site, at the foot of Beeston Hill beside the A643 road to Elland, was owned by Bentley's Brewery and was called the Old Peacock Ground, after the pub which faced the land, hence the nickname the Peacocks associated with both Leeds City and United. The first occupants were Holbeck Rugby Club (rugby league) who moved from Holbeck Recreation Ground after buying the Old Peacock Ground from Bentley's for £1,100.The club erected a new stand in readiness for the 1898-99 season. The ground eventually became known simply as Elland Road.

volvojack

Re: Leeds United Nickname

Post by volvojack »

Just came across this as I was browsing through the site.
When football resumed after the second World War and United were playing at home my father used to drop my brother and I of to watch them while he did a bit of "Grafting" in Briggate with Kenny Dobsons father who sold flowers.
I would have sworn that the strip was Quarters Blue and Gold but now I realise that it was halves and the sleeves were different.

Someone mentioned how things have changed, I remember some players came on the bus and when Jackie Milburn came with Newcastle United (The most famous player of the day) he walked up to Beeston with his family to Jimmy Milburn house (United full back), We used to wait outside the players entrance waiting to try and get an autograph but the man on the door, wearing a long blue and gold coat would come out and chase us away with a big stick.

Time have indeed changed.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Being a lifelong supporter of United and also being 82 years old i would have bet money on the early 1950s Kit being Blue and Gold Quarters. Having looked at photo's of Big John's early pictures and also Harold Williams they are both wearing a shirt that is Gold front and Blue Sleeves.
Having gained promotion to the 1st. Division in Season 1956 /57 it is possibly that United's shirt was changed to Gold in 2 halves and Blue sleeves, but i do not have a photograph i am not sure.

What i am sure of is that in all those years i have followed them i have had more heartaches and disappointments, but there could never be any other one

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

My father was a lifelong Leeds United Supporter and when I was a child aged about 6 to 10 years, he used to take me to the home matches (1952 - 1956) and John Charles was the star player. A few other names that I can remember were Royston Wood, Grenville Hair, Albert Nightingale, Jackie Overfield, Georgie Meek and others whose names I have forgotten. In those days, the shirts were all blue with a gold 'V' collar, and white shorts. Here is a link, about the kit, which you might find interesting:

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/misc/kits.htm

Ian