Leeds United Nickname

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: Leeds United Nickname

Post by volvojack »

Good Morning Ian,
Thanks for that link. It brought back many memories
When my Brother and I used to go to Elland Rd. it was a Tanner (6d.) for kids to go in the "Boys Pen" on the open area opposite the old "Scratching Shed". Spion Kop. If you played for your School team it was possible to have a free ticket.
As our Dad used to take us about 2pm. we used to roam up at the back and look down to the Lowfields Road area, in those days it was a through rd,
Because there was not the T.V. Radio coverage in those day we were not aware just how good this gawky Welsh teenager would turn out to be.But soon the name John Charles was being talked about by everyone. I think he only played a season or two before going in the Army.

volvojack

Re: Leeds United Nickname

Post by volvojack »

A couple of things i also would like someone to tell me is that in those early days roundabout the late 1940s if United won at Home there was a tune / type march played over the Loudspeakers.
Also around that time there was a Yorks Post Sports Reporter who made some adverse comments about either the team or the Management. He was banned from the Press box and had to take his notes,Match reports stood on the Kop. I don't remember his name either.
The problem now is that there are very few supporters still alive who could remember, plus i can't find any ref. to these things.

Having spent most of the morning looking for the name of the Y.E.P. reporter banned from the Press box i now have found it.
He was Ronald Crowther and his comments were meant in good faith as a true supporter.