Leeds United Nickname

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
zip55

Post by zip55 »

They could not have been Leeds RLFC in 1870 ... the governing body didn't become Rugby Football League until 1922.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

zip55 wrote: They could not have been Leeds RLFC in 1870 ... the governing body didn't become Rugby Football League until 1922. That's true but the club that became Leeds RLFC was formed as the Leeds Cricket, Football and Athletic Club at that date. They were founder members of the NU (1895) so they predate Leeds Utd by a long way.None of the West Yorkshire soccer sides, Bradford City (originally Maningham in the NU) or Huddersfield Town are as old as their RL rivals. Soccer was an incomer into West Yorkshire, it was this that prompted the NU to begin changing the rules of Rugby as it had been played to make it more attractive to spectators.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

The colours of Leeds United through the years are here :http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leeds_U ... ted.htmThe colours of Leeds City (the club that predated United) are here :http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leeds_C ... htmRegards.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

The Leeds RL club are traceable to Leeds St. Johns playing on a field opposite the "cardigan arms" around 1870 when their shirts were blue and gold quartered.These were the official city colours Leeds City FC also took.Hunslet took the Leeds University colours in the early 30's.As for gold.v.amber and flame.v. various shades of red/yellow/orange on the Hunslet strip the clubs were never that precise.Same with nicknames. Some clubs got a nickname early on and years later it was still being recorded as the clubs "nickname".I've watched RL for 40 years and have never heard Cas being called the glassblowers or Fev the Colliers.Club colours and nicknames were never that precise nor that "official"United today? Whites/UnitedLeeds today? RhinosHunslet today? The "uns"

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: United today? Whites/UnitedLeeds today? Rhinos I was at Wembley on Saturday and heard cheering (at least until Warrington scored) for the "Loiners"When I worked in Lancashire, coming back on Saturday lunchtimes if LUFC were at home I would often pass two buses in particular with "Barrow Whites" in the back window and "North Wales Whites" in the same place.In the days when I used to go to Elland Road (mid seventies) to watch soccer they would shout "we are the whites, we are the whites, we are, we are etc."
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Trojan wrote: None of the West Yorkshire soccer sides, Bradford City (originally Maningham in the NU) or Huddersfield Town are as old as their RL rivals. Soccer was an incomer into West Yorkshire, it was this that prompted the NU to begin changing the rules of Rugby as it had been played to make it more attractive to spectators.     West Yorkshire only if you discount the West Riding. Sheffield boasts the worlds oldest surviving football club and that one predates Wednesday (1867) and the comparatively young United (1889).I seemed to remember Hunslet's colours being chocolate and white although maybe that was just the change strip as according to Wikipedia the White shirts were changed to Myrtle White and "Flame Red" in the 30s to prevent the players stealing the shirts to wear at work
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: Trojan wrote: None of the West Yorkshire soccer sides, Bradford City (originally Maningham in the NU) or Huddersfield Town are as old as their RL rivals. Soccer was an incomer into West Yorkshire, it was this that prompted the NU to begin changing the rules of Rugby as it had been played to make it more attractive to spectators.     West Yorkshire only if you discount the West Riding. Sheffield boasts the worlds oldest surviving football club and that one predates Wednesday (1867) and the comparatively young United (1889).I seemed to remember Hunslet's colours being chocolate and white although maybe that was just the change strip as according to Wikipedia the White shirts were changed to Myrtle White and "Flame Red" in the 30s to prevent the players stealing the shirts to wear at work When I said West Yorkshire I meant as opposed to South Yorkshire. I've no idea how old the Sheffield clubs or Barnsley, Rotherham or Doncaster are.Manningham were the first winners of the NU Championship, but (in 1908 I think) switched to soccer as Bradford City. Huddersfield Town have also recently celebrated their centenary. Bradford split into two teams - Bradford (Park Avenue) and Bradford Northern (Union)Soccer was much more attractive to watch than Rugby under the old Union rules and was not only taking spectators from the NU but also clubs.
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I was being a bit pedantic on the use of West Yorkshire which was predated by the Northern Union by 80 years. The west of Yorkshire to which you refer was part of the West Riding which effectively dissappeared in 1974 but predates the Northern Union by several hundred years.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Bert

Post by Bert »

When I first started going to Elland Road in the mid-1950s 'The Peacocks' was the generally accepted nickname for Leeds United. I seem to remember its being regularly used in match reports and features about United in the YEP Green Finals I used to sell outside the Ritz in Crossgates on Saturday nights.The only thing I can't stand about Manchester United is the reduction of Manchester to Man by just about every journalist, news and sport presenter in the country and now by most of the rest of the population too. And I see the disease has spread to Manchester City. It sets my teeth on edge just like uni for university. We seem to be becoming a race that just can't be bothered with long words. No wonder the study of German has become vanishingly rare here.    

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

When Don Revie became manager of Leeds he changed the strip to all white as he wanted them to be like Juvenus I think. The team played in Blue and Amber up until then. No-one called LUFC the "Peacocks." as it made no sense. I remember the New Peacock was a rough hole and the Peacock, was worse.