Character Landlords........

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
EFL

Post by EFL »

Who was your favourite Pub Landlord, which pub and what did he/she get up to. Im going to start this with Harold and Wynn Stott at the Crown in Stanningley.A very unusual bar with a door to the left, you walked in and could walk all the way round the bar and exit at another door, the bar was horse shoe shaped with an arch seperating the 2 rooms, one room was with the juke box and youth, the other slightly quieter for the older folk.Harold was dripping in gold chains, gold rings on every finger. he had arms full of old tattoos, was always heavily tanned and charmed as many women as possible. He sang along to every tune on the juke box, not with the words of the song but every one went "buuu buu bu bu bum, dee dee de da da, baa baa buu buu........you get picture.Every mid-week, cant remember if it was Wed or Thurs he got his big black rolls royce out of the little back alley and took Wynn out for the night, not too far he didn't like to put petrol in it.Wynn his long time wife wore skirts like a belt, with a massive chest and again full of gold, her legs were very skinny with high heels to totter about on. I once drank in there with my dad, Harold told him to get me to take my school tie off, just in case the law came in!I remember having a tattoo at Trevor Shaws in Stanningley, when I went in for it Harold was there, Im thinking hes getting tattoo'd but he wasn't, Trevor was welding some of his gold for him....with just normal soulder.He ran a very organised pub, but if he didn't like you or he was that way out....so were you !he barred em for fun.His 'tea time' crowd consisted of 8-10 blokes who always had a few while regailing about the days graft they did, the good thing was they were all from different backgrounds but still felt a part of the gang with Harold listening and helping ease the days pressures.Sadly Harold is no longer with us, he died in the 80's I think, it was a long time ago.Wynn still gets around the Pudsey area although not seen her for a few years.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Sorry to veer off course so early but... ... ooh ooh I've got some tattoo's from Trevs. I think I spent about £1 on 3 tats. One big one on my left arm about 75p and 2 smaller ones on my right arm about 25p for both. I had 'em all done in the same day, had a break in between tho', let someone else have a go. This was about 1974.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Chrism wrote: Sorry to veer off course so early but... ... ooh ooh I've got some tattoo's from Trevs. I think I spent about £1 on 3 tats. One big one on my left arm about 75p and 2 smaller ones on my right arm about 25p for both. I had 'em all done in the same day, had a break in between tho', let someone else have a go. This was about 1974. Hi Chrism you can change the pence to pounds now the price has gone sky high.Sorry about that back to the Landlord thread.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Now that brings back memories! My dear old dad, long gone, worked as a spinner in the mill right next to The Crown, and was known to drop in for the odd pint on his way home ..... this was way back in the 60's! But I think he favoured The Sun, across the road, for some reason ....

EFL

Post by EFL »

Patexpat wrote: Now that brings back memories! My dear old dad, long gone, worked as a spinner in the mill right next to The Crown, and was known to drop in for the odd pint on his way home ..... this was way back in the 60's! But I think he favoured The Sun, across the road, for some reason .... The Sun was a "real ale" pub, a proper mans pub as they said in those days. Landlord there was a real grumpy old sod, If you was under 30 he scowled at you for daring to enter, if you ordered Lager.........well he fair killed you with his stare !!My Tats were cheap at Trev's as well, got em all covered up though, not too good.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Don't know the name of this landord, but he certainly had an effect on me. A friend of mine and I, aged about 16, decided to see if we would get served at the Stone Trough at Rawdon. Some pubs would serve us, others wouldn't. The Trough at the time was a Ramsdens House, and we were soon to learn the ramifications of this. We asked for two pints of bitter."Bitter!" roared the landlord. "I don't serve bitter. It's mild, or best mild, and they're both for men, not lads, so get on yer way"! This was in front of a crowded bar, and we two crestfallen youths exited with as much dignity as we could muster. It was some time before we regained enough confidence to try it on again - in a different pub, of course.In fact, I didn't darken the door of the place again until earlier this year. My sister-in-law is a stroke victim, and the Trough is wheelchair-friendly as there's a fair bit of space between the tables inside, so we go there with her for meals from time to time. It's not as crowded now as it was on my first visit.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Kath Richardson(?) who had the Old Bank.She'd be sozzled in The Laughing Cavalier before her own club opened, on the door the whole night, then at closing time she'd storm around shouting "Sup off and f__k off". At least until it was down to the people she didn;t mind having there for a lockin, and then they'd lock the doors and open the bar again.I think the latest i ever stayed was 6am, but apparently they occasionally went on until 8.30!
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

volvojack

Re: Character Landlords........

Post by volvojack »

Kathy Sims would run the above Kath close. She had the the Hope and Anchor in the Calls with her husband Johnny who was an ex Rugby League player , he was a Maori in the New Zealand Navy at one time. They had various pubs theSlip Inn (New Regent) the Horse and Trumpet (i think) including the the Fairway on the Gipton and then the Shaftesbury. she was a real character and could fight like a man when required
She was a nice Lass but you crossed her at your peril.