Cattle running wld in Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="chameleonStrange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour. On reflection I think you may be right Blakey, certainly at one time - the other favorite colour of Leeds! Certainly there were two or three stone steps up to each from the footpath too I think. Memeory wise, I was quite young thenLucky you chameleon - as the years speed by (74 next) I'm begin to think I've never been young !! Well, middling Blakey - somedays feel much older than others but remember tatties at 5lb / shilling and fish 'n chips for 1/3 and thruppnie half to town on the tram

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

chameleon wrote: BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="chameleonStrange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour. On reflection I think you may be right Blakey, certainly at one time - the other favorite colour of Leeds! Certainly there were two or three stone steps up to each from the footpath too I think. Memeory wise, I was quite young then Lucky you chameleon - as the years speed by (74 next) I'm begin to think I've never been young !! Well, middling Blakey - somedays feel much older than others but remember tatties at 5lb / shilling and fish 'n chips for 1/3 and thruppnie half to town on the tramYou've not gone back that far Cham! i can remember fish and chips on Winchester Rd, Armley at 3 old pence,penn'orth o' chips and a fish at tuppence! I think y our right about the colour of the abbatoir doors,Blakey but you could hardly see the colour as they we generally covered in a grey dust as I recall!
ex-Armley lad

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

stutterdog wrote: chameleon wrote: BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="chameleonStrange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour. On reflection I think you may be right Blakey, certainly at one time - the other favorite colour of Leeds! Certainly there were two or three stone steps up to each from the footpath too I think. Memeory wise, I was quite young then Lucky you chameleon - as the years speed by (74 next) I'm begin to think I've never been young !! Well, middling Blakey - somedays feel much older than others but remember tatties at 5lb / shilling and fish 'n chips for 1/3 and thruppnie half to town on the tramYou've not gone back that far Cham! i can remember fish and chips on Winchester Rd, Armley at 3 old pence,penn'orth o' chips and a fish at tuppence! I think y our right about the colour of the abbatoir doors,Blakey but you could hardly see the colour as they we generally covered in a grey dust as I recall! You lot are good for my ego - even if at times I feel more your apparent ages!!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

chameleon wrote: stutterdog wrote: chameleon wrote: BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="chameleonStrange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour. On reflection I think you may be right Blakey, certainly at one time - the other favorite colour of Leeds! Certainly there were two or three stone steps up to each from the footpath too I think. Memeory wise, I was quite young then Lucky you chameleon - as the years speed by (74 next) I'm begin to think I've never been young !! Well, middling Blakey - somedays feel much older than others but remember tatties at 5lb / shilling and fish 'n chips for 1/3 and thruppnie half to town on the tram You've not gone back that far Cham! i can remember fish and chips on Winchester Rd, Armley at 3 old pence,penn'orth o' chips and a fish at tuppence! I think y our right about the colour of the abbatoir doors,Blakey but you could hardly see the colour as they we generally covered in a grey dust as I recall! You lot are good for my ego - even if at times I feel more your apparent ages!!Well, it's good to know that we're appreciated.Your making me feel good now!
ex-Armley lad

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

raveydavey wrote: I've heard that Boar Lane on a Saturday night is still a bit of a meat market, if you know what I mean... Oh that IS good news ravey - it will save that tiresome trek all the way to Pontefract Lane Wholesale Market for one's requirements     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

"tilly"]I must say i had to look twice at the photograph i dont remember it looking like that but then im going back fifty years ago.    

I remember nearly 70 years ago we had trouble sometimes alighting from the Tram ouside the bus station on our way to school because of sheep / cows, bulls being driven to the slaughterhouse from Marsh Lane railway sidings and the animals being spooked i would think by the blood smell. Although the placw was basically was the same as in the picture i am convinced it was not quite so ornate

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

"tilly"]I must say i had to look twice at the photograph i dont remember it looking like that but then im going back fifty years ago.    

I remember nearly 70 years ago we had trouble sometimes alighting from the Tram ouside the bus station on our way to school because of sheep / cows, bulls being driven to the slaughterhouse from Marsh Lane railway sidings and the animals being spooked i would think by the blood smell. Although the place was basically was the same as in the picture but i am convinced it was not quite so ornate. certainly the part one left of the picture , facing the Market was not like that.
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 02 Jan, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Re: Cattle running wld in Leeds

Post by tilly »

I lived just around the corner from what is now Crown Point Shopping Center.In my time it was a very big goods yard a lot of the cattle pigs sheep came into there by train I think they were driven down Black Bull Street to the slaughter house Black Bull Street that could be a big clue i wonder if this is were the name came from.? There was a pub at the beginning of the street called the Black Bull was
the pub named after the street or was the street named after the pub? ;)
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

On the 1850 OS map the road is named, and there is a building where the Black bull stood, but the building is not named

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for your time checking the map chemimike it just hit me when writing the post about the name all the best SID.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.