Cattle running wld in Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: I can vaguely remember the slaughterhouse and the doors with the slats. Weren’t the doors the same colour green as the doors of the electricity sub-stations?For a short time I worked in Cross Green, across the road from the abattoir and remember on several occasions beasts escaping and getting onto the football field beside Cattons. This would have been 1980. Green does sound familiar the standard council colour for everything then! Yes, the service did move to Cross Green when that opened, all shiny easy-clean stainless steel as I recall and perhaps not quite as niffy

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I remember the slaughterhouse being operative in Leeds, altho' I too had to look at the photo for a long time, as it hadn't stuck in my memory. My first job was in Leeds at I J Dewhirst, on the corner of Kirkgate and Harper Street, and staff there spoke of a runaway cow crashing in through the double doors to the showrooms. I started there in 1960 or 1961, but can't recall whether the slaughterhouse was still extant, but the runaway incident seemed to have been only a short time before I started. Apparently the unfortunate animal deposited copious manure!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Uno Hoo wrote: I remember the slaughterhouse being operative in Leeds, altho' I too had to look at the photo for a long time, as it hadn't stuck in my memory. My first job was in Leeds at I J Dewhirst, on the corner of Kirkgate and Harper Street, and staff there spoke of a runaway cow crashing in through the double doors to the showrooms. I started there in 1960 or 1961, but can't recall whether the slaughterhouse was still extant, but the runaway incident seemed to have been only a short time before I started. Apparently the unfortunate animal deposited copious manure! Yes, they do have a tendency to do that!
ex-Armley lad

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

High angle view of Central Bus Station with slaughterhouse and meat market behind. St. Peter's Church visible on left.In 1958 the Slaughter House Act and the Slaughter of Animals act set out minimum standards which had to be met by a Local Authority when slaughtering animals. It would have been impossible to update the old slaughter house to comply with the Acts, and a new abattoir and meat market was built, also on a site off Pontefract Lane.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="chameleon"] liits wrote: I can vaguely remember the slaughterhouse and the doors with the slats. Weren’t the doors the same colour green as the doors of the electricity sub-stations?Green does sound familiar the standard council colour for everything then! Yes, the service did move to Cross Green when that opened, all shiny easy-clean stainless steel as I recall and perhaps not quite as niffy Strange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Uno Hoo wrote: I started there in 1960 or 1961, but can't recall whether the slaughterhouse was still extant, but the runaway incident seemed to have been only a short time before I started. Apparently the unfortunate animal deposited copious manure! Top marks to Uno Hoo for that most cultured and inoffensive description of the poor animal's understandable dilemma
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

[quotenick="BLAKEY"] chameleon wrote: liits wrote: I can vaguely remember the slaughterhouse and the doors with the slats. Weren’t the doors the same colour green as the doors of the electricity sub-stations?Green does sound familiar the standard council colour for everything then! Yes, the service did move to Cross Green when that opened, all shiny easy-clean stainless steel as I recall and perhaps not quite as niffy Strange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour. On reflection I think you may be right Blakey, certainly at one time - the other favorite colour of Leeds! Certainly there were two or three stone steps up to each from the footpath too I think. Memeory wise, I was quite young then

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="chameleonStrange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour.On reflection I think you may be right Blakey, certainly at one time - the other favorite colour of Leeds! Certainly there were two or three stone steps up to each from the footpath too I think. Memeory wise, I was quite young thenLucky you chameleon - as the years speed by (74 next) I'm begin to think I've never been young !!

tilly

Post by tilly »

[quotenick="BLAKEY"] chameleon wrote: liits wrote: I can vaguely remember the slaughterhouse and the doors with the slats. Weren’t the doors the same colour green as the doors of the electricity sub-stations?Green does sound familiar the standard council colour for everything then! Yes, the service did move to Cross Green when that opened, all shiny easy-clean stainless steel as I recall and perhaps not quite as niffy Strange how time plays tricks with all our memories. With respect, I seem to have a strong impression that the doors were a dismal faded matt maroon or burgundy colour. BLAKEY you are spot on with the colour.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I've heard that Boar Lane on a Saturday night is still a bit of a meat market, if you know what I mean...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell