Brownhill School, Harehills Lane, Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Gaz45

Post by Gaz45 »

HiAnyone got or know of the whereabouts of any pictures or photographs of this old school which has now sadly been demolished and houses built on the site?I used to go there in the late 60's/early 70's.The school was built in 1904 I think.Headmaster at the time I was there was Mr Turner.Library was thought to be haunted!

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I went to Brownhill from 1963 to 1969, the rumour was that it was built on mine workings and was tilting slightly, i can certainly remember cracks in plaster and such, and the building used to creak so much. I remember the Library in the boys part (upstairs)..I always felt uneasy in there. I read a story a few years ago the Brownhill Library was occupied by 2 spirits of boys that went to the school when it opened in 1904 and were subsiquently killed at the battle of the somme. If you go to ther site of the school now the old railings are still there, shame the school has gone, i used to love playing football in the playground, we used to start matches in the morniing and when the bell went we would all shout "carried on at playtime"...that would apply to dinnertime and afternoon playtime too....great days....i remember Mr Turner very well and Mr Lockwood and Mr Makram...he was egyptian!!