Remembering Folk Clubs in the 60's-70's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Samson

Post by Samson »

Kenneth, Tykette,Thank youKen I think I saw Jon Rennard a couple of times before, probably at the Memphis or somewhere, but it was Barwick in Elmet where I last saw him and he did a great set. Such a shame he passed on so early in his life.I am also pretty certain that he recorded an album called "Brimbledown Fair"? I could be very wrong, but I refuse to use Google and I am seeing if my memory is still good in parts!
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Samson wrote: Kenneth, Tykette,Thank youKen I think I saw Jon Rennard a couple of times before, probably at the Memphis or somewhere, but it was Barwick in Elmet where I last saw him and he did a great set. Such a shame he passed on so early in his life.I am also pretty certain that he recorded an album called "Brimbledown Fair"? I could be very wrong, but I refuse to use Google and I am seeing if my memory is still good in parts! I believe he did record the album you name it sort of sounds familiar. Go on look it up and let us know
"The Future is not what it used to be"Regards- Kenneth

Samson

Post by Samson »

OKHere we goHis only two vynl albums were:-Brimbledon Fair and The Parting Glass (live).(I think the latter was released after his death)From the Internet I also found a post on a website that said he was killed on 29th July 1971 on Halcyon Hill in Leeds.One of his party pieces was 'Jumbo The Elephant' - that I remember to this day.I think he had children and so his memory lives on.Best wishes
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

kenneth wrote: There used to be so many folk clubs in Leeds when I was in my late teens and early 20's in fact I played residencies and gigs in many of them. I think my introduction to the Leeds folk scene was a Thursday night at the Club Memphis which had the use of a room upstairs in, I think The Golden Lion at the junction of Beeston Road and Elland road. And if my memory serves me correctly the quest that evening was the late Alex Campbell. The Club Memphis was run by Johnny Wall and after that moved to different venues including the RAOB Club off North Street and The Irish Centre on York Rad. They also ran a Monday night sing around club at the Union Tavern on Meadow Lane. The Adelphi near Leeds Bridge hosted a regular club on Sunday night upstairs run by Bob & Hazel Spray. I played a residency there for quite a long time. The there was The George IV on Kirkstall Road rum by Bob & Carol Pegg which was a very traditional club that did not encourage accompanied singing in fact, if you were not a regular and turned up with a guitar you were viewed with great suspicion. The Whip in Hurst's Yard hosted another sing around club as did a pub on Boar Lane near the Trinity Church. The second oldest folk Club in the country after the Topic in Bradford is of course the Grove on Back Row hosted by Brian Senior and Jeff Woods. The Grove was also the home of the famous Holbeck Moor Mummers. The Grove still runs and for a long time has also hosted a Bluegrass Club which I used to pay at on a regular basis. I almost forgot I set up a club at The Prince of Wales near Swinegate which we called the Folkus There used to be folk nights, with floor singers at the Eagle on North Street in the seventies - I'm sure.
Industria Omnia Vincit

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Trojan wrote: kenneth wrote: There used to be so many folk clubs in Leeds when I was in my late teens and early 20's in fact I played residencies and gigs in many of them. I think my introduction to the Leeds folk scene was a Thursday night at the Club Memphis which had the use of a room upstairs in, I think The Golden Lion at the junction of Beeston Road and Elland road. And if my memory serves me correctly the quest that evening was the late Alex Campbell. The Club Memphis was run by Johnny Wall and after that moved to different venues including the RAOB Club off North Street and The Irish Centre on York Rad. They also ran a Monday night sing around club at the Union Tavern on Meadow Lane. The Adelphi near Leeds Bridge hosted a regular club on Sunday night upstairs run by Bob & Hazel Spray. I played a residency there for quite a long time. The there was The George IV on Kirkstall Road rum by Bob & Carol Pegg which was a very traditional club that did not encourage accompanied singing in fact, if you were not a regular and turned up with a guitar you were viewed with great suspicion. The Whip in Hurst's Yard hosted another sing around club as did a pub on Boar Lane near the Trinity Church. The second oldest folk Club in the country after the Topic in Bradford is of course the Grove on Back Row hosted by Brian Senior and Jeff Woods. The Grove was also the home of the famous Holbeck Moor Mummers. The Grove still runs and for a long time has also hosted a Bluegrass Club which I used to pay at on a regular basis. I almost forgot I set up a club at The Prince of Wales near Swinegate which we called the Folkus There used to be folk nights, with floor singers at the Eagle on North Street in the seventies - I'm sure. You are right there did but I was referring to earlier days

Mark Peers

Post by Mark Peers »

kenneth wrote: Samson wrote: Kenneth, Tykette,Thank youKen I think I saw Jon Rennard a couple of times before, probably at the Memphis or somewhere, but it was Barwick in Elmet where I last saw him and he did a great set. Such a shame he passed on so early in his life.I am also pretty certain that he recorded an album called "Brimbledown Fair"? I could be very wrong, but I refuse to use Google and I am seeing if my memory is still good in parts! I believe he did record the album you name it sort of sounds familiar. Go on look it up and let us know Yes I have his LPs of Brimbledown Fair and also the Parting Glass which was released after his tragic death on 29th July 1971. I knew Jon very well as we played togther with the Jug & Bottle Washers Jug Band for several years around the Northern Folk Club scene in the late 1960's and until his death in 1971. The band comprised John Wall (who ran the Club Memphis) on Guitar, Funnel, kazoo and vocals, Jon Rennard, on Guitar, Kazoo, Ukelele and vocals, Jim Peers on Jug, Mark Peers on washboard & occassional trombone.Mark

Mark Peers

Post by Mark Peers »

Sorry misspelling it shoyld be "brimbledon Fair"Mark

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Johnny Wall. Now there's a bolt from the past and in charge of The Club Memphis which certainly moved around quit a bit. I can remember it residing at The Golden Lion at the junction of Beeston and Elland Road. It then added an extra Monday session in a pub on Meadow Lane called The Union Tavern. Then, if my memory serves me it had time at The RAOB Club off North Street, The Adelphi near Leeds Bridge and The Gilpin Hotel on the Headrow. I clearly recall one night at the Gilpin. I was duoing with a banjo player. The first number went fine. I then announced that we would play a fast breakdown and the banjo player froze with stage fright which is quite unnerving in front of 200+. I just remembered the CM also spent a short time in a pub close to Kirkgate Market in fact I saw the late Alex Campbell there but by this stage he had gone from a fairly good tradition folk singer who told the occasional ditty to an out of control alcoholic who was loosing it fast. It was very sad to see the deterioration.The CM spent time in other premises but I cannot recall where right now    

Max Johnson

Post by Max Johnson »

I'm trying to contact Mark Peers concerning his days in the jug band.If anybody is in touch with Mark, would they please ask him to contact Lost Folk Tapes at www.lostfolktapes.comMany thanksMax Johnson.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The mention of the folk club held at the RAOB premises on North Street remined me that I used to go there (possibly in the early 1970s). Other than seeing Tony Capstick I don't however recall any other singers. I do remember the narrow steep flight of steps to go up to reach the room (you paid an entry fee at the bottom of those).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.