Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jgl1954

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post

Post by jgl1954 »

I've done that and it still doesn't want to know me! Could try again I suppose. Strangely though, last time it said "welcome", and then stuck.

Just discovered I can sign in on my phone with no problems. The vagaries of technology in action.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In a 'Friday' part of a 'Review of the Week' section on page 20 of the YEP today (April 23 2016) it states "Steve Evans: The manager night she the club should "an opportunity for stability" and extend his contract." What the heck (I'm being very polite there ;) ) does that mean! :?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:In a 'Friday' part of a 'Review of the Week' section on page 20 of the YEP today (April 23 2016) it states "Steve Evans: The manager night she the club should "an opportunity for stability" and extend his contract." What the heck (I'm being very polite there ;) ) does that mean! :?
It means the person that wrote it was out on the sauce and if anybody checked it they were out with them. Then there is the appalling sentence construct too ;) My little joke but I do think if Steve Evans is the answer the question is wrong.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

"His mother rushed out after hearing a scream and found him upset saying a dog had bit his face."

The sentence above is taken from a current YEP (online) article about a dog attack. The journalists appear to have little grasp of grammar, but where are the sub-editors? All gone I suppose, in the name of cost-saving.
The older I get, the better I was.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I may be wrong but don't think subs exist anymore, even for larger nationals

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

Page 34 of tonight's YEP(13/07 2016),did you know feature"Monopoly the board game was invented in leeds?".Well i did not know that.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

hyperion3 wrote:Page 34 of tonight's YEP(13/07 2016),did you know feature"Monopoly the board game was invented in leeds?".Well i did not know that.
Think it was actually invented in the U.S.A. but Waddingtons got licence for it many years ago and it has been known worldwide to come from Stourton Leeds.

As for that Rag Y.E.P. that dares to call its self a Newspaper nothing they print surprises me.

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

The Story , can't remember the source is that the first transatlantic telephone call out of Leeds was to Parker Bros from waddingtons asking for a licence to market monopoly . but they forgot about the time difference,and everbody had gone home.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Very likely Hyperion regarding the call,
Had a look at Monopoly history and it seems that Waddies firstly sent their card game Lexicon to Parker Bros. in the U.S.A. and they in return sent Monopoly to see if there was any interest. The Boss of Waddington's gave it to his son to take home and try over the weekend, he liked it so they got it, licensed it and the rest is history.
The Yanks had not put a license on it so it was sold in 100s of country's around the world and made the Stourton family Millionaires It does not say if the Parker Brother's ever took up the option of the Lexicon offer.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »