Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jma

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post

Post by jma »

Leodian

Well-spotted, Sir!

I don't buy the YEP so I looked online, but that version doesn't seem to have this particular bit of info: perhaps somebody with a red-face has corrected the online version.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8305360

What I find rather sad about this is that if it were to be in a national newspaper, it's the sort of error you might expect, even though it seems to be sloppiness, but a local reporter should be spot-on with local knowledge.

In fact, the national press has got hold of the shock-horror story of Leeds bus lane fines and here's the Daily Mail which mentions a Freedom of Information request from local business (sic) Ian Kerry, so that might be where the YEP info came from.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... amera.html

The latest reports such as that one suggest that Kirkstall Road is particularly bad / effective, depending on your POV.

I've unsuccessfully tried to spot on obvious reason, such as a typo, why this imaginary junction might be created. I've looked for bus lane enforcement on Leeds City Council's website - it's lumped under Parking enforcement.

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Annual%20P ... 4-2015.pdf

There are various tables showing things like the number of penalties issued. One of the most pronounced trends is that although more cameras = more penalties, the numbers of penalties issued by individual cameras have fallen substantially. As the council site says:-
This shows that bus lane enforcement is extremely effective in reducing the number of offences.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

As Leo states it says "North St Junction, Duke St". The comma being the punctuation between the two junctions and therefore not meaning that North Street has a junction with Duke Street, but that these two junctions seem to be the most abused bus lanes in Leeds

Duke Street: coming from Marsh Lane, York Street towards Duke Street the right hand lane is Bus Only for buses to turn right into Duke Street and the Bus Station, but as I have seen regularly abused and used by motorists.

North Street:
is slightly more complicated as there are a number of street entering into the top of North Street which makes it more confusing, however it is quite clearly signed as Bus Only and still motorists will use it to enter Vicar Lane because it saves them a trip around Regent Street.

Vicar Lane: in general this is a complete rat run for cars who are only allowed on small sections of Vicar Lane and yet use it to zoom straight through town because they are too lazy to go the correct way.

Yes it can be a pain in the arse at times, but the whole idea of Bus Lanes is to speed up the buses for the travelling public. As an ex bus driver of 25 years I have NO sympathy whatsoever for the drivers who get caught and fined, most cannot be bothered to go the correct route.

JMA the YEP is not a local paper anymore, it is run by Johnson Press and is one of the largest local and regional multimedia organisations in the UK. Providing news and information services to local and regional communities through their extensive portfolio of hundreds of publications and websites. Their titles span Scotland, the North East, West Yorkshire, the North West & Isle of Man, South Yorkshire, the South, Midlands and Northern Ireland - delivering extensive coverage of local news, events and information. Now you wonder why they get it wrong sometimes!
Attachments
Bus Lanes.jpg
Bus Lanes.jpg (417.43 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jma

Post by jma »

Yes. I'm familiar with most of these locations and I'd say that bus lanes in Leeds tend to be well signed, both with road signs in the conventional sense and prominent road markings. I don't go with the "cash cow" argument at all. The reason I posted the bit from the council's own website was to try to show that once the word gets round that action is being taken, fewer people think that they can get away with it. The perfect situation would be no offending and so no fixed penalties.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi buffaloskinner :).

You state "As Leo states it says "North St Junction, Duke St". The comma being the punctuation between the two junctions and therefore not meaning that North Street has a junction with Duke Street, but that these two junctions seem to be the most abused bus lanes in Leeds". OK, I apparently misunderstood what the YEP meant but I hope you appreciate that was an easy mistake to make in thinking it meant there was a junction of North Street with Duke Street.

in the YEP report it also states "York St Junction, Duke St. Fines issued 6,476. Fines Paid £188,764". That is a junction I do recognise ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Oh dear the YEP poor thing, you've got to feel sorry for it at times ;).

Yesterday's issue (Monday January 2 2017) was dated Tuesday January 2 2017 on its front page and Monday January 1 2017 on its back page :roll: (the date on other pages that I checked had the correct date). Today's issue (Tuesday January 3 2017) has though got the correct date!

I know I've done lots of posts in this YEP thread but I do not deliberately set out to find things. It's just that some things stand out, being so obvious. I do however hope that I have not become boring by posting so many items.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:
I know I've done lots of posts in this YEP thread but I do not deliberately set out to find things. It's just that some things stand out, being so obvious. I do however hope that I have not become boring by posting so many items.
Hi Leo. I've just looked back at the initial post on the thread and it is about YEP bloopers so you definitely are not Off-topic. I think if you spot one then its quite right you highlight it here. They may even take note and buck their ideas up (excuse me while I duck under a squadron of airborne porcine). More power to your elbow.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

No papers other than the very large ones seem to employ anyone as proofreaders , or indeed sometimes anyone who knows anything about the area they are supposed to cover. I think much of the content comes from some central fortress where no-one is allowed to see the real world, certainly not the part they are supposed to supply news to

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian"]Oh dear the YEP poor thing, you've got to feel sorry for it at times

I think you and all the other members who have contributed to this subject should be congratulated, some serious and others extremely funny. I spent yesterday evening readig through the 70 pages, most entertaining.
The company always operated in strange ways. In the 1960s the most popular night for advertising was a Thursday and if you did not submit an ad. by Tuesday morning at the latest your ad.was considered too late and then went in on a "Dead night" Friday or Sat.
But if you went down to Albion St. about midnight on Wednesday and along with your advert you took 20 Senior Service or Capstan cigarettes and gave them to the Security guy your ad would be in the following night.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In an interesting 'Picture archive' on page 20 of the YEP today (Jan 4 2017) there is a fascinating photo of a Bridlington lifeboat that seems to be being taken out to sea by horses and also being pushed out. The image caption states "New Year, new start so they say and it was certainly a dramatic beginning to a new Century for the Bridlington Lifeboat when they went out on their first service call in 1899 and returned in 1900". Surely that will have been their 'last' call in 1899, unless there really had been no call outs that year up to then! It seems such an obvious error that I am beginning to wonder if I have misunderstood the caption!

jma

Post by jma »

To be thread-to-needle, the certain error is in counting 1900 as the first year of the new century. There can have been no year 0 AD, the first being 1. So the first century ended at the end of the year 100 AD. So, 1900 was the last year of the 19th century. The same reasoning explains why 2017 is in the 21st century: there was no Century Zero.